Hood prop - irritating? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools

Heres a comparison side by side of the redlines and the MRTs..... I chose the MRTs because they dont get in the way AND no drilling ..... But both are good to get rid of that Hood Prop....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoodstrut4.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	13966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood Struts.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	13967  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyman
Just saw you are in Houston. If Sugar Land (Greatwood) is convenient, You can come over and I'll help you. Just PM me.
Thanks sandyman!! I'll wait until after the next weekend to consider your offer. I'll be out of town next week.

2005 GT Premium, windveil blue, silver GT-style painted stripes, BBK CAI and Shorty Headers, Cat-back Bassani exhaust system. SCT Performance Tune. 20" Shelby Razor wheels,14" eradi-speed rotors, Tokico DSpec shocks, steeda sportlite springs, BMR suspension bars.

Member MCOH
Member MCA
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&D
Thanks sandyman!! I'll wait until after the next weekend to consider your offer. I'll be out of town next week.
No prob. If you decide to do it yourself, the directions say to tape the drill bit at a spot that won't let you go in to far ( ones on the hood itself) be sure and do that.

As far as the struts getting in the way, I pulled both cam covers and didn't have a problem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cover Install 007.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	13968  

J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

[QUOTE=sandyman]No prob. If you decide to do it yourself, the directions say to tape the drill bit at a spot that won't let you go in to far ( ones on the hood itself) be sure and do that.
QUOTE]
Yeah, most definetly do that!! I hate to have to instal hoodpins way up because of a wayward hole!!!:laughlitt

Great looking car you have there. The picture will go in my wish list of how I want my car to look someday. This is the picture of my 66 as I sold it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00001.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	13987  

2005 GT Premium, windveil blue, silver GT-style painted stripes, BBK CAI and Shorty Headers, Cat-back Bassani exhaust system. SCT Performance Tune. 20" Shelby Razor wheels,14" eradi-speed rotors, Tokico DSpec shocks, steeda sportlite springs, BMR suspension bars.

Member MCOH
Member MCA
S197 Member

For an engine compartment that is almost 40 years old that is very nice. You sold it?
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyman
For an engine compartment that is almost 40 years old that is very nice. You sold it?
Yeah, my wife convinced me to use the money as down payment on this one. Did not have to do much convincing. I had a good time restoring it, I just got tired of the age of the car and all that that entails. I love the modern conforts of the new one.

Member MCOH
Member MCA
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

how strong are these struts? to strong for a fiberglass hood? I think Ford still uses the prop rod cause of the many different style hoods that will be offered...If Ford put struts on orginaly for the alluminum hoods and we buy a fiberglass hood then we would be taken off the struts for the ole prop rod. know what I mean..lol

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMach
how strong are these struts?
Let's just say I'm starting to have second thoughts about them with the factory hood! Hasn't been warm enough to put them on (need at least 40 degree weather to get my butt out there!), but took them out of the package to check 'em out. Dang! My Dad had a hard time collapsing them and eventually leaned on 1 into a chair and it finally went down. Pretty tough. Here's hoping they relax a little!

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
BOSS Member
S197 Member

For the MRTs, what to they exactly bolt-on to? are there online instructions on how they attach?

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Fryguy_pa
The instructions for the Redline Struts tell you that you need to compress them a few times.

As I said, I have them with the factory hood and have no problems. Once they are compressed to a certain point, they close no problem. You want them to be stiff when they are fully extended, that is what prevents the hood from closing when it is opened.

- Fryguy

- 05 Satin Silver GT, Lt Graphite, 5 Speed, Shaker 500, Sequntial Taillights, Redline Tuning Hood Struts, Shorty Antenna, Satin Mustang Sill Plates, Midwest Plenum Cover, UPR Billet Pedal Covers, IUP Steering Wheel, IUP Gauge Cluster w/MyColor, Signal Tints, FRPP Exhaust, JLT CAI Kit, SCT 2 Tuner . Trunk Lid Mat w/Edgelight fiber, MRT Side Louvers - (The following to be installed) Steeda Dead Pedal, Baltimore Street Mods Racing Stripes, Redline Goods Leather Kit
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy_pa
You want them to be stiff when they are fully extended, that is what prevents the hood from closing when it is opened.
Yeah, I've had struts go out on the rear wagon door and let me tell you, it's a pain when the door decides to come down on your head!!

Member MCOH
Member MCA
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Your missing the point here people!
The reason you do not have the struts is because if the hood becomes unlatched then it wont fly open.
High Speed = High Lift
So lets add assistance to the hood flyin off?
Anyway thats why no struts.

05 GT Premium - Satin Silver - IUP - Dk Charcoal - 17 Bright Machine Cast Wheels - Shaker 1000 - Foaled June 05.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Fryguy_pa
I do not understand what you are getting at. The struts have nothing to do with the hood flying open. The struts just replace the hood prop and that has nothing to do with keeping the hodo down.

What keeps the hood down is the latch, and if that gives out, then theere is a clip there that has to be manually released.

- Fryguy

- 05 Satin Silver GT, Lt Graphite, 5 Speed, Shaker 500, Sequntial Taillights, Redline Tuning Hood Struts, Shorty Antenna, Satin Mustang Sill Plates, Midwest Plenum Cover, UPR Billet Pedal Covers, IUP Steering Wheel, IUP Gauge Cluster w/MyColor, Signal Tints, FRPP Exhaust, JLT CAI Kit, SCT 2 Tuner . Trunk Lid Mat w/Edgelight fiber, MRT Side Louvers - (The following to be installed) Steeda Dead Pedal, Baltimore Street Mods Racing Stripes, Redline Goods Leather Kit
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

if your hood comes unlatched....struts wont stand a chance...the force will rip the hood loose of the struts therefore laying the hood slam flat againts the windshield.

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtlan
Your missing the point here people!
The reason you do not have the struts is because if the hood becomes unlatched then it wont fly open.
High Speed = High Lift
So lets add assistance to the hood flyin off?
Anyway thats why no struts.
You might be thinking of hood PINS....

Member MCOH
Member MCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page