Telescoping Steering Wheel Modification - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Telescoping Steering Wheel Modification

Help! I've just turned over 1k on the odometer on my car and I'm starting to notice ache in my arms from having to reach so far to grab the steering wheel. I've tried adjusting the seat all over the place, but if I get any closer my legs are folded! Has anyone successfully modded the steering wheel to get it closer to the driver? I love this car, but I'm going to have to leave it in the driveway for drives longer than ~1hr if I can't get this resolved!

2006 Silver GT, manual 5-speed, charcoal, IUP, leather, airbags, spoiler-delete, 17" standard bullitt wheels, Saleen Short-throw Shifter, JLT CAI, SCT Tune (Evolution Performance) 35% tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

have you tried resting your left arm on the arm rest or the window sill and driving with only a few fingers on the wheel and cruise control on.
sometimes, i am holding the wheel at the bottom. not to bad on log drives. but, mostly my left arm is on the rest or window and my right arm is usually resting on the E-brake.

one thing i will be getting soon is a dead pedal for my left foot.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006
JEB
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Are you kidding? Is there such a mod? Never seen a telescoping steering column....I'd like to see pics.

Umm.... You are too tall, try taking your shoes off...
(sorry, couldn't resist):kooky:

I Hate GM, deal with it.
One shot, One Kill! Don't waste ammo, it's pricey!
2005 GT Screaming Yellow: SLP Loudmouths
Ibanez guitars, S&W revolvers, Glock Semi's
Republican write in Presidential Candidate 2012

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I should qualify my comments above: I need the mod so that I can drive with my hands on either side of the wheel. I can sit with my hands in my lap and let the wheel down so that I can steer like that for highway cruising, but I'm talking about REALLY DRIVING!

And I'm asking: IS THERE SUCH A MOD? (And I'm only 5'11", so maybe I just have short arms???)

2006 Silver GT, manual 5-speed, charcoal, IUP, leather, airbags, spoiler-delete, 17" standard bullitt wheels, Saleen Short-throw Shifter, JLT CAI, SCT Tune (Evolution Performance) 35% tint
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006
S197 Member

I'm tall as well and I would love to see a tilt/telescoping option for this car. Maybe if enough of us squeal we can get someone (even Ford) to come up with something. It's kind of like the lowrider passenger seat.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

It's an endless struggle with this car, getting comfy. Once you're there, it just needs a little more tilt and Kablooeee!!! Time to start all over again.....

I'm still not ready to leave it.. better to look good than to feel good.

2005 GT Premium, windveil blue, silver GT-style painted stripes, BBK CAI and Shorty Headers, Cat-back Bassani exhaust system. SCT Performance Tune. 20" Shelby Razor wheels,14" eradi-speed rotors, Tokico DSpec shocks, steeda sportlite springs, BMR suspension bars.

Member MCOH
Member MCA
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to thump_rrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB
Are you kidding? Is there such a mod? Never seen a telescoping steering column....I'd like to see pics.

Umm.... You are too tall, try taking your shoes off...
(sorry, couldn't resist):kooky:
Do you mean in a mustang or ever? My dads' 75 Olds 98 had a tilt and telescoping wheel.

05 White GT Premium 5 Sp. IUP, Active Alarm
BMR, C&L, Centerforce, Fidanza, FRPP, GI Joe, JBA, JDM Engineering, LPW, Saleen, SCT, Steeda, SOS

S/C 1.613 60'. 4.748 330', 7.332 @ 93.75mph 1/8th, 9.566 1000', 11.427 @ 119.92 1/4mile
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
GMs done this in many cars.

COrvettes and even now in the GTOs

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to thump_rrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle F
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
CFO of my Corporate office is named: **** Wacker. True.
Can someone PM me on how to make that appear as a quote?
It seems to work here
VB code is probably turned off in the SIG.

05 White GT Premium 5 Sp. IUP, Active Alarm
BMR, C&L, Centerforce, Fidanza, FRPP, GI Joe, JBA, JDM Engineering, LPW, Saleen, SCT, Steeda, SOS

S/C 1.613 60'. 4.748 330', 7.332 @ 93.75mph 1/8th, 9.566 1000', 11.427 @ 119.92 1/4mile
PONY Member
S197 Member

I wish they'd made it telescope as well. Just a little closer to the steering wheel would be nice, but my knees won't fit under the dash then. Still, it's the most comfortable car I've ever driven, even allowing for the long reach.

2005 Satin Silver GT 5spd, IUP, ICAP, bullits, active alarm, lug locks, side a!rbags, shaker 500, XM Roady 2, JLT cold air, Xcal2 w/ SCT 93 oct tune, & custom fab'd ram air duct, BMR Sway Bars, Hurst Competition plus shifter
Custom blackout on hood and trunk with Steeda street wing and Ford Racing hood pins
Apprentice

My first new Ford had a telescoping feature... the whole column, instrument cluster and dash-surround pulled towards you... It was a new '89 GT Probe... great little car with some neat options back in the day...

The only uncomfortabe spot I've discovered in my Stang is where my knee mashes against the side of the center console area. I guess this is one area where I can be thankful I am only 5'-8". Just those wooden blocks keep slipping off the pedals.

2005 GT Premium Convertible, Redfire, Parchment top. 5-speed manual, Shaker 1000, Flowmasters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page