Help! with explanation of different performance mods? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Help! with explanation of different performance mods?

New to the whole performance mods language. Can someone explain what some of this stuff is? I sort of understand the Cold Air Intake (CAI) setup, but what about tuning? Is this just a reprogram of the computer based on 'stuff' you add to the engine? SCT? C&L? What are these things, how do they work, etc? I'm just seeing these terms, names, and words thrown around on the boards and would like to understand them a little more. Please don't laugh! I was raised and learned on carburated engines! I understand boring and double-barrell and pistons.....

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).

Last edited by ScottHalliday; 03-07-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

i will help you where i can. some of the terms I read on the threads were new to me as well.

SCT and C&L are both companies.

SCT makes the Xcalibrator 2:
http://www.mustangtuning.com/sct-xcalibrator-2.html
tuning is almost mandatory after doing adding any kind of power adder. since all new cars on the road have computers and sensors you have to "reflash" the computers data. you will get the most out of your power adder. kinda like learning how to do something all over again when you get something better.

C&L is a company:
http://www.cnlperformance.com/2005GT.html
i am not the best at explaining some things, but i hope this helps. and others will come along and add something here and correct me there.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-

Last edited by ScottHalliday; 03-07-2006 at 11:07 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006

A true Cold Air intake will grab air from outside the hood, typically from the front spoiler area or wheel wells. The term is used rather loosely for what is out there right now. Don't get me wrong, the good CAIs will result in some decent power gains, let alone really opening up the sound of the new Mustangs. C&L is a company that makes what is arguably the most popular s-197 CAI kit. A true tune will involve going to a speed shop, putting the car on a dyno and reprogramming the computer system to work with the setup you have. Since the new computers are very sensitive, most cAI kits will require a new program to avoid a check engine light and keep the Air-fuel ratio correct. Most companies offer recalibration units or "tuners" that will allow you to load a new tune into your car that will match the component you purchased. SCT makes a line of hand-held recalibrators and tuners. The SCT(tuner) and C&L(CAI) have become very popular, and you will notice that a lot of memebrs here use them.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgrl99
New to the whole performance mods language. Can someone explain what some of this stuff is? I sort of understand the Cold Air Intake (CAI) setup, but what about tuning? Is this just a reprogram of the computer based on 'stuff' you add to the engine? SCT? C&L? What are these things, how do they work, etc? I'm just seeing these terms, names, and words thrown around on the boards and would like to understand them a little more. Please don't laugh! I was raised and learned on carburated engines! I understand boring and double-barrell and pistons.....
Nowadays, tuning, is a whole different thing. The best thing I can say, is, figure out, how much horsepower you want, how much you are willing to spend,then, go from there. If you want to keep your car basically stock, then just take it to a place, that can dynotune your car, where they can tweak the tune, and raise your numbers a bit, without the expense, of more expensive modifications.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

To all you performance modders....what will a K&N air filter do for me? I'd like to do some 'basic' performance mods - just so she runs as well as she can - without nulling the warranty or anything like that. Was talking to my salesguy the other day while waiting on the car (90 day checkup) and he suggested this. What will this filter run me and any suggestions on where to buy?

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006
nghtrnnr

dont bother with the k&n...i find its more of a supplemental to the heavy stuff than a stand alone mod...heavy stuff like superchargers or nitrous...shaving off a second or 2 in the quarter makes sense to me...little stuff that barely shaves a microsecond off doesnt...k&ns are around 50 bucks if i remember right but i didnt even feel mine a little bit.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006
S197 Member

K&N make an intake called aircharger for about $220 they say it is good for 10-15Hp?
It doesn't require a reflash as some do but can still be tuned a little with a reflash.
There are those that diss the K&N aircharger but how knowlegable are they?
There are CAI's that qoute bigger gains but do need a reflash and higher octane fuel.
So the aircharger is good value and runs regular gas and will not void your warranty.
Look on Ebay
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006
Apprentice

warrant void?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratster
K&N make an intake called aircharger for about $220 they say it is good for 10-15Hp?
It doesn't require a reflash as some do but can still be tuned a little with a reflash.
There are those that diss the K&N aircharger but how knowlegable are they?
There are CAI's that qoute bigger gains but do need a reflash and higher octane fuel.
So the aircharger is good value and runs regular gas and will not void your warranty.
Look on Ebay
Are you sure about the K&N CAI not voiding the factory warranty? I've searched a few forums and also K&N's site, but the only definitive wording I could find was that their simple air filters do not void the warranty. I could find nothing stating that their CAI would not void the warranty. If you can provide some source material for your statement, I would greatly appreciate it, as I was considering adding the K&N CAI. Thanks!

2016 GT Shadow Black, 6 speed, Performance Package
Mods: Procharger Stage II supercharger; SLP Loudmouth exhaust; Foose quarter window scoops; T-Rex black steel mesh front grill; Ford Performance Street Lowering X-Springs; Hurst Competition Plus short-throw shifter; Auto Meter a-pillar 2 gauge mount with Cobalt fuel pressure and boost gauges; 20" RTR Tech 7 wheels; Mickey Thompson Street Comp 275/35 front 305/35 rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page