Tax Returns for your Mustangs - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
S197 Member

My return is going to pay off some of the credit cards I've used to buy things for my Mustang. For example, I picked up the Steeda tower brace today. It's just too bad I can only get one year's return at a time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

S197 Member

my return should be back in a few weeks and i already plan to spend it on paint for the spoiler, hood, and a steeda or jba exhaust.. the rest will go into the new rim/tires fund! I claim 1.. cause my pony depends on me! muahahah!

PONY Member
S197 Member

Does anyone know if we can claim our cars as dependents? I mean it does have a serial number which looks an aweful lot like a social security number? I think I am on to something here, and since I ordered it before December 31st, I should be able to claim it for fiscal year 2005 right?

You can see the project at Grassroots Motorsports

SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangaretuff
Does anyone know if we can claim our cars as dependents? I mean it does have a serial number which looks an aweful lot like a social security number? I think I am on to something here, and since I ordered it before December 31st, I should be able to claim it for fiscal year 2005 right?
Why don't you try that and let us know how that works out.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
I claimed all three cars on my taxes.

My beater, for the mileage.
And both '06 vehicles I bought... the taxes I paid on them are deductable...

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LqDFx
I spent part of mine on a new head unit with a 7" screen, a radio relocation kit, and Cobra Rs. Next year it is a 347 stroker and brakes. I have 4 kids, claim 0 and throw a couple extra dollars in to help bump up the return. I find this is the easiest way for me to save money. No intrest, but I have like 8k every year that the wife and I split!
Hehe, that's exactly what I do. FORCED savings...hehe

-N
Apprentice
S197 Member

Tax money? I haven't got back money from the government since I was 20 years old. Maybe this year just got married and my wife always gets money back. Plus being home owners always helps. Plus I heard that this year if you buy a new car you can claim it next year. I hope that my accountant knows what he is doing.

American Muscle- 2006 Legend Lime Metallic V8 GT Coupe, Shaker 500 Stereo System, Tint, Borla Exhaust, Diablosport Predator Tuner, K & N Cold Air Intake, 12" Racing Stripes, Roush Quarter Window Louvers, Roush Pedals, Hurst Short Shifter, Sequential Tail Lights, Trip Tunes, And there is more to come......
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMS06STANG
Tax money? I haven't got back money from the government since I was 20 years old. Maybe this year just got married and my wife always gets money back. Plus being home owners always helps. Plus I heard that this year if you buy a new car you can claim it next year. I hope that my accountant knows what he is doing.
Let us hope that this is true, for I bought 3 new cars in 2005. If this is true, just image, I might actually get a return next year.
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I was guna buy a C&L intake and tune....but oh wait...I owe the goverment

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
Let us hope that this is true, for I bought 3 new cars in 2005. If this is true, just image, I might actually get a return next year.
If you live in a state that requires you to pay state income tax, here is how it works... You can write off sales tax paid in 2005 IF it is more than the state tax you paid. The government actually has done this for 2 years now due to complaints from people that live in states that do not get this deduction on federal taxes... Ahhh, I feel bad that they don't have that deduction... NOT, for crying out loud they're NOT paying state income tax, GOOD GRIEF!!!

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

PONY Member
S197 Member

waxed,

I paid tax on my car when I purchased (sales tax) and then every year there after as though it is personal property. Are you saying in the year that I purchase it I can deduct my state sales tax from my Federal return?

Frisch,

I hope you were picking up on my sarcasm, as I was laying it on pretty thick.... You need yourself a new map.

You can see the project at Grassroots Motorsports
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I'm saying that for example:

I purchased 2 cars last year which I paid sales tax on. I, like most people, do not save every single receipt all year long, so depending upon where you live the IRS has a little chart to figure what that # is, then add that to what you paid in sales tax for the vehicle. If that number is higher than what you paid out in state income tax then you get to deduct the higher of the two when you fill out your 1040. You must live in a state where you pay state income tax to qualify...
Disclaimer: you must seek advice from a certified accountant. I am not and do not state that I am a CPA, I am just explaining my situation to you.
Or search www.irs.gov or look at a 1040A Booklet.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Found it...

Described under "line 7"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf i1040sa[1].pdf (135.1 KB, 104 views)

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangaretuff
waxed,

I paid tax on my car when I purchased (sales tax) and then every year there after as though it is personal property. Are you saying in the year that I purchase it I can deduct my state sales tax from my Federal return?

Frisch,

I hope you were picking up on my sarcasm, as I was laying it on pretty thick.... You need yourself a new map.
Well yeah I picked up on it :laughlitt and I was sarcastically responding :laughlitt
Why do I need a new map?
Some states like mine allow you to deduct the yearly registration fee on the State return.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
S197 Member

After paying off a pair of CC's I had just enough left over for a pair of Midwest Mirror Inserts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page