Show tips? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtrnnr
oh and the most important tip on showing the car (for you at least)...wear a bikini and sit on the hood...i know i know its a bit .... whatever ...but i guarantee you'll win....chicks in bikinis always score big
So true

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
S197 Member

Great looking Black. Been to a few shows myself. Lets see 8trophies and counting. Anyways,Clean-Clean-Clean. Engine plenum cover almost a must have. Hood struts also a key element. Get a california duster for the exterior and interior. Go early to set-up properly. Once there clean,clean,clean. That means dress the tires again including the tread you can see.Never use wire brushes on the wheels.Get any good disc brake dust cleaner and spray on wash off. Then detail with a soft cloth. Wash down the engine compartment before you go to the event. Get a good instant detailer for the touch ups during the day. Believe me there will be finger prints,nose prints,and what ever else. Most people at shows will respect you car and keep their distance,while others don't. If you ever leave your car ask a car owner beside you to keep an eye out for you while you are gone. Many times I have protected a friends car from little fingers and big fingers. I have even seen some girls try to sit on hoods so there boyfriends can take pictures of them. Try bringing the GT to some local events or shows where everyone just hangs around. No pressure and you can get alot of pointers from looking at other cars. Once you are ready for the big time, remember-clean,clean and clean. Black looks great clean anyways... Have fun and enjoy, they are alot of fun and you meet some really good people. Of course a GT with a female owner doesn't hurt either.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
05 GT Black/Parchment , Plenum Cover,Black Bullit wheels w/Pony Spinners
CDC Chin Spoiler,Billet engine compartment accessories,Redline Hood Struts,Ford Racing Springs,Steeda Adj.Panhard Bar,CrossDrilled Rotors,Pony Carpet Floor Mats,Tinted Windows,Bright Red Calipers more to come.

PONY Member
S197 Member

What is a "hood pin appearance kit"?

Good luck at your shows.

GT with fanblades.

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku
What is a "hood pin appearance kit"?
My Dad's Mach I has pins that mount to the frame and come up through holes in the hood. Then there are clips through the mounted pins - this was a safety feature to keep the hood locked down if the latch ever failed while racing. I always loved that look! These from CDC are just 3M tape, but have the same appearance withOUT drilling holes in my hood!
http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...splay/633.html

Wow. First off, THANKS to everyone for their replies, tips and tricks! This is exactly what I was looking for when I asked! Sounds like I'm gonna be spending a LOT of time in the auto stores looking for cleaning supplies! :laughlitt

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
Apprentice
S197 Member

I've done many cruises and a 3-day ISACA Word Of Wheels car show this past January. Cruises don't take much effort other than standard detailing since you end up driving it there and they are mostly for fun.

As for judged events, such as the International Show Car Association (ISCA), the key as state above is clean... everything. This includes the entire chassis, wheel wells & tire treads, back of the tires as well as all the standard external & internal detailing including the engine compartment. It's ALLOT of work and a pain in the butt. I spent a week+ getting the car ready and a few bucks transporting it to the show since I didn't want to re-detail it again assuming the weather was bad. Not to mention judging cards & a 20x30 poster board.

You can go crazy on surrounds (area around the car used to accent it). I've seen people bring in thousand dollar surrounds but those people are usually in it for the money. We used a basic, tasteful rug with roped off poles to keep the people at a distance.

As for bling, keep it tasteful. I've seen it taken too far. Try to balance it out so no one part of the car screams "look at me" more than the rest.

Remember to have fun.

Silver 2005 Mustang GT

PowerHouse: Turbo & Chassis/Suspension
Fox Lake: Short Block & Heads
Complete Mod List: See my WWW homepage

Brad
S197 Member

I show mine all the time. Check my gallery for show pics. Stay away from the Blow By Racing mirrored crap - it looks cheesy. Wax it up good before the show and use Meguiar's Endurance tire shine. Clean the engine good (don't use steam) and spray Hot Shine on the hoses. Basically - these cars show themselves.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2horseowner
I show mine all the time. Check my gallery for show pics.
Forgive me,I think I just drooled all over your car!
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I show mine all the time. Check my gallery for show pics. Stay away from the Blow By Racing mirrored crap - it looks cheesy. Wax it up good before the show and use Meguiar's Endurance tire shine. Clean the engine good (don't use steam) and spray Hot Shine on the hoses. Basically - these cars show themselves.
They're beautiful! Question. Do you leave the plenum cover on all the time? Or just for show? Is this the one you have? Thought about putting one on mine - possibly custom painted to match the grille emblem I'm wanting.
http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-9932-25-0.html

What's 'hot shine'?

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
Apprentice
S197 Member

Yes cleaning is important but I see a lot of people talking about cleaning and detailing to the point that is only required by judged shows which you probebly would not even qualify for most of those because of the modifications you are doing to the car, however slight they are, most judged shows are looking for stock right down to the factory stickers that are on the car. So while making sure your paint is clean and the engine is presentable, and the tire walls are fairly clean and there is not a bunch of trash inside the car, cleaning the tire tread or using a toothbrush in all the engine cracks and crevices and all that minute detailing is not absolutely necessary for participant choice or public choice shows as most of them don't look quite that close at your cleaning job and are usually more impressed with the fact that you drive the car and have fun with it. If you are going to get that detailed with the cleaning you might as well trailer the car or expect to spend your entire time cleaning instead of enjoying the show.
S197 Member

Yes - I leave the plenum on all the time. I got mine direct from Midwest Auto but it's the same one. As for cleaning - It's more a matter of pride than points. During the summer I wash my cars as much as four times a week. They get detailed at least once a month. Both are daily drivers and for the most part live outside. I'm working on clearing space at my GF's house for one of them to get garaged. I don't drive dirty cars and I wouldn't think of showing up for a show or even a club meeting without the car being spotless. I also don't believe in "SHOW ONLY" cars. These were made to drive. The reason I bought 2 is to keep the mileage reasonable. The coupe will be 1 next week and just went over 10K and the vert will be 1 on March 31st and it has 7K.
S197 Member

Hot Shine is also Meguiars tire spray - it comes on a can. It shines the rubber - doesn't hurt the wiring and can be sprayed on without wiping. It also doesn't attract dust so it can last for several shows. Some of the guys get lazy and spray the grille as well - It's great for hiding water spots. Oh - yeah - it smells good too! :kooky:
Apprentice
S197 Member

2Horse how much rain do you get there during the year, is it mostly dust you are fighting? I can't wash mine that often during the year as we get 9 months of rain a year with the sun coming out sparatically in between the rain. So keeping my cars spotless is hard, but I do my best to keep them clean and everyone in my club understands that a daily driver is going to get dirty. I don't believe in trailer show cars, I think you should drive them also, I do have a '71 Mach 1 mustang that I use only in the summer for car shows, rallys, fun runs, things like that. I have it insured under collector car insurance so I have to keep the miles low but still put several thousand on it every summer. It does see rain as that is hard to avoid here and I don't worry to much about the normal wear and tear the paint sees when being driven as I believe the car needs to be driven and enjoyed as much as possible. Any way I guess I just can't see doing that much cleaning as it would cut down on my time enjoying the car worrying that I was going to have to reclean it after use.
S197 Member

Not much rain here but a lot of dust - and Bee pollen. What is it with them - my red cars seem to attract bees like honey. The cars are always spoted with little yellow sticky spots.
Apprentice
S197 Member

I hear ya on the bees, my old '95 was lazer red and it had the same problem, most likely going to have the same problem with the '06 since it is redfire.
Rookie

Quote:
The cars are always spoted with little yellow sticky spots.
and when it dry's it's hard as hell to get off, even after washing it is still there, hate stuff that falls from the sky

any tips on getting it off, I have even tried to pick it with my finger nails and have failed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page