Opinions needed - Stereo related - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006 Thread Starter

Opinions needed - Stereo related

Ok, I have been heavily considering installing the Kenwood DDX8017 in my car. I have been dragging my feet because of the price, and the fact that it is in storage. Now, spring is around the corner and I am getting the itch again. So, now Kenwood have the DDX7017 out. The only difference between the two units are that the 8017 adds Dolby Digital and DTS decoding and a center-channel preamp output. The price difference is $300.

Is it worth spending the extra cash to get those items?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

I've been considering the same models and personally I don't think the extra money for the surround sound decoding is worth it. It's mostly an "impress your friends" feature where you fire up a DVD and they can hear the effects all around. Sure it's cool, but let's face it, most of the time you're in the car you're going to be driving and listening to music, not watching movies. I guess you could listen to movies while your driving, but I'd be too tempted to keep looking at the screen. Besides, I believe it's illegal to have a movie playing while your driving and the screen is visible from the driver's seat.

- JIM

2006 PREMIUM GT COUPE VISTA BLUE
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to hawgman Send a message via Yahoo to hawgman
^^^what he said^^^

I've got the 7015, and unless I am playing a concert DVD ( and that is just to impress someone in the vehicle with me ) It stays on the navigation input anyway while listening to Sirius.

2005 GT Premium,torch red, all available factory options.
Performance mods: Lets just say it's not stock.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

This IntelliTXT stuff sucks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006 Thread Starter

Your thoughts were right with mine, FF.

More opinions welcome.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006 Thread Starter

Well, I think Crutchfield just made my decision that much easier. They just lowered the price of the 7017 another $300, to $999. Now there is a $600 difference. My order will be placed today.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new stang owner
Well, I think Crutchfield just made my decision that much easier. They just lowered the price of the 7017 another $300, to $999. Now there is a $600 difference. My order will be placed today.
Thanks for posting that info, I think I'm going to order one now too.

- JIM

2006 PREMIUM GT COUPE VISTA BLUE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page