Stock GT Pirelli Tires - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006 Thread Starter

Stock GT Pirelli Tires

What is your opinion on the stock 17" GT Pirelli P Zero Nero tires? Like them or not? I'd like to hear both sides - Good and Bad?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006
nghtrnnr

i like em alot...

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

in my opinion, they are all right. I am not to happy with the way they perform off the line under hard acceleration. a little to slippery. I autocrossed on them as well and even thought the sidewalls don't flex much at all (45 psi) they still handled average.

I think when it is time for new tires I will be looking at other brands.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

Well I have not done any hard off the line acceleration with them just normal driving, and in fact had ice on the road in quite a few places this morning and starting from stop signs and lights had no spinning or breaking loose of the tires ulike my old '95 mustang so I have to say I like the tires. Personally I would use them until they are worn out then may go to a different brand although mostly because I am sure to buy these same tires is very expensive.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006
PONY Member

mine seem to pick up a lot of rocks- might be typical with performance tires, I dunno. I like the old T/A radials with white letters- they hold up well, go good even in bad weater, last long time...but they dont come in 17's (yet).

the rock issue is my biggest gripe- the car definitely handles better than anything else Ive ever had- and seems able to really pull pretty decent without spinning...my mark VII spins easier and dont seem to take off at anywhere near the rate of the mustang.

06 gt stick vista blue - love this car!
07 pony auto vista blue (wifes)
09 gt stick vista blue (ordered day after the '10 reveal- 4 miles/undriven still)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

i don't think they are the best tires, there good but they don't have the best traction or maybe its just the car. i have a feeling when it come time to change them i will be looking for other brands

2005 Performance White Mustang GT

1966 Candy Apple Red Mustang Convertible
C4 Automatic / 289 2v V8 C-Code Engine: Stock

<-- Click on the "HOUSE" to Check out my blog
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent05redfire
in my opinion, they are all right. I am not to happy with the way they perform off the line under hard acceleration. a little to slippery. I autocrossed on them as well and even thought the sidewalls don't flex much at all (45 psi) they still handled average.

I think when it is time for new tires I will be looking at other brands.
Hey Brent-
45psi ? That seems like too much air. I don't recall at this moment, but inside the drivers door says max. 32 psi I think? I thought too much psi was bad for the tire, but hell I don't know

2005 GT coupe
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I like them pretty well. They seem to stick reasonably well for an all season tire, but once they break loose, it seems hard to get them stuck back down. I'll probably go with something else when these are done, but I'm not running out for replacements.

Autocross - I was running mine at 50psi. The front end push was really bad, but it allowed me to step the back end out when needed. I think next time I'll set the front at 45 and run the rear at 50. Sonny is right , way too much pressure for road driving, but it's just what you want for a 1 minute autocross run. most road racing runs higher pressure than normal, while drag racing often runs lower. on the 1/4 mile, you want the sidewalls to flex and put the power down. On the twisties, you want the sidewalls stiff to minimize lateral movement. Hard to make one tire effective at both

2005 Satin Silver GT 5spd, IUP, ICAP, bullits, active alarm, lug locks, side a!rbags, shaker 500, XM Roady 2, JLT cold air, Xcal2 w/ SCT 93 oct tune, & custom fab'd ram air duct, BMR Sway Bars, Hurst Competition plus shifter
Custom blackout on hood and trunk with Steeda street wing and Ford Racing hood pins
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1213
Hey Brent-
45psi ? That seems like too much air. I don't recall at this moment, but inside the drivers door says max. 32 psi I think? I thought too much psi was bad for the tire, but hell I don't know
I think max psi is around 45, but I don't remember either. I will have to check my tires.
my first time to autocross the Mustang, someone at the event recommended that psi. so, i tried it and the tires had zero rollover on the sidewalls. I will run less pressure next time.
In my autocross experience, you have to run high tire pressures. under extreme cornering, the tires will roll onto the side of the tire with no tread. I run 35 psi for every day usage. 45 at the track then let the air out before I drive back home.
I need some autocross tires...

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-
PONY Member
S197 Member

I like them, they are quiet, comfortable, and high performance. There are better performance tires out there, but you give up manners.

'06 GT Vert Torch Red/Black top/int, IUP, Polished Bullits, , PioneerInfinityMTX Sound System, Tuneable Induction by DeMolet, SCT2 93 Octane Tune by Brenspeed, Red Calipers, Steeda Ultra Lites, Shifted by Hurst,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page