Tire noise - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Tire noise

Just 150 miles on my 2006 GT with 18" B.F. Goodrich tires, and it seems there's a lot of tire noise going over sewer covers, cracks in the pavement, etc. The noise seems particularly pronounced at slower speeds, and seems loudest from the right front tire. The left tires seem quieter. It's almost like something is loose, but it's not a metallic sound - more like a thump. The tires are properly inflated, and there's nothing I can find that's loose in the trunk or under the hood, like the battery. It may just be tire noise that I'm not use to, because it seems to quiet down at higher speeds, when redial tires are performing at their best. Any Ideas? I may ask the dealer to drive another GT for comparison.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I would'nt say it sounds like a tire issue.

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoenr
I would'nt say it sounds like a tire issue.
I've got the polished 18" aluminum wheels, but we have the same tires if you haven't changed yours. Several other GT owners have complained about this specific road noise in other forums, and it appears some dealers have made serious attempts to fix it with no success. After eliminating other factors, most folks think it's the struts. I'm just surprised more folks haven't mentioned it here, because I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I have changed to the 17" Bullitts with snow tires and any noise i heard before I still here now. By description its hard to say if I hear what you hear.

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by probepro
Just 150 miles on my 2006 GT with 18" B.F. Goodrich tires, and it seems there's a lot of tire noise going over sewer covers, cracks in the pavement, etc. The noise seems particularly pronounced at slower speeds,... it seems to quiet down at higher speeds, when redial tires are performing at their best. Any Ideas?
sounds to me like a good excuse to keep the speeds in the upper speedometer range.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by probepro
Just 150 miles on my 2006 GT with 18" B.F. Goodrich tires, and it seems there's a lot of tire noise going over sewer covers, cracks in the pavement, etc. The noise seems particularly pronounced at slower speeds, and seems loudest from the right front tire. The left tires seem quieter. It's almost like something is loose, but it's not a metallic sound - more like a thump. The tires are properly inflated, and there's nothing I can find that's loose in the trunk or under the hood, like the battery. It may just be tire noise that I'm not use to, because it seems to quiet down at higher speeds, when redial tires are performing at their best. Any Ideas? I may ask the dealer to drive another GT for comparison.
I have the same setup and actually took it to the dealer to check out. They checked everything and found nothing. They even took out a brand new one off the showroom floor and it made the same noise. Their final verdict - common noise from racing suspensions.

Once I've smoked throught the BF's I will try somethings else.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006
Apprentice

hey guys new to the site my 05 gt made a bad sound on bumps and hard turns at slow speeds when i loweredthe car i replaced the top strut bearings ford stocked them should be a recall they all did the same thing my car is better then new now
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

I also had my front suspension fixed at the dealer last year. I had the popping noise when turning at slow speeds. It's gone now after the dealer replaced some parts from Ford(This is a known issue). Who knows, maybe now with the 06 it happens when the wheel is going up and down instead of turning?

08 Roush 427R GT Torch Red Premium
Painted Side Mirror Covers
100% Roush synthetic oil
06 V6 Vert Premium w/Pony Package
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I am getting some low speed road noise form the front left also. I am going to monitor it some more before I take action.

'06 GT Vert Torch Red/Black top/int, IUP, Polished Bullits, , PioneerInfinityMTX Sound System, Tuneable Induction by DeMolet, SCT2 93 Octane Tune by Brenspeed, Red Calipers, Steeda Ultra Lites, Shifted by Hurst,
Apprentice
S197 Member

Went from the stock 17" Perilli tires to the BFGoodrich TA/KWDS. Moved up a size from 235-55-17 to 255-50-17. Noticed alot more road (tire)noise as soon as I put them on. Let's face it the Mustang is not the best insulated in the panels for outside noise. Talked to a bunch of guys who run BFG tires and they also noticed more road noise from these tires. Maybe its the tread pattern. I do know that although the tires are not directional there "Do" reguire inside/outside mounting. The tire has in small letters on the sidewall that states "Mount inside". If you notice the tread pattern is different on the outside channel. The wavy one goes to the inside. From what other people have told me that noise is louder if the tread is reversed. Take a look at your tires and make sure they are mounted right. If they are just get used to the noise. But on the up side these tires stick like glue. Note: @ 40psi the BFG rode real hard on the stock width rim. I dropped to 36psi and much better and full tread contact on the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page