horsepower - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
I do understand that the Shelby Cobra is supercharged with 475 HP from a 5.4L, and yes I am tempted to add one such bad snake to my stables (in addition to my GT Vert). I just marvel at how much horsepower some of these smaller foreign engines are capable of producing. Additionally, I marvel at the concept of what is considered by today's standards as either a big displacment or as large horsepower. The 4.6L V8 is now Ford's flagship engine (doing good as it is), but if translated into displcement, the 4.6L becomes something like a 289 C.I (or maybe even something closer to a 265 C.I.) whereas back in the day the standard for Cubic Inches was closer to 350 (like look at Chevy's 350, Ford's 351 and etc). and the standard horsepower seemed to be well into the 300's. Maybe I am too much into the old muscle cars and big numbers turns my head. It just seems logical that if Ford (or any other manufacture) was trying to repark the muscle car era, that they would have put larger displaccements and/or produced more horsepower form the get go. I guess I just get amazed over the oddest things. Do not get me wrong, I LOVE my Stang, it does have a a lot of power, it is very cool and it is simply beautiful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

nghtrnnr

you know what i marvel at? i marvel at the constant horsepower gains in this country world period..i mean..the entire rest of the world is sooo worried about the global fuel crisis that they are all basically switching to hybrid cars and here in the us we are bringin back that golden era of muscle...its sort of funny...america baby!!!! i aint complainin mind you...i'm going to keep speeding in muscle cars till the last drop runs out...i've never owned a foreign car in my life(cept a bmw for 3 months...nightmare story i'll tell someday)....just thinkin

nghtrnnr

I Want The Old Mrvandermey Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
I do understand that the Shelby Cobra is supercharged with 475 HP from a 5.4L, and yes I am tempted to add one such bad snake to my stables (in addition to my GT Vert). I just marvel at how much horsepower some of these smaller foreign engines are capable of producing. Additionally, I marvel at the concept of what is considered by today's standards as either a big displacment or as large horsepower. The 4.6L V8 is now Ford's flagship engine (doing good as it is), but if translated into displcement, the 4.6L becomes something like a 289 C.I (or maybe even something closer to a 265 C.I.) whereas back in the day the standard for Cubic Inches was closer to 350 (like look at Chevy's 350, Ford's 351 and etc). and the standard horsepower seemed to be well into the 300's. Maybe I am too much into the old muscle cars and big numbers turns my head. It just seems logical that if Ford (or any other manufacture) was trying to repark the muscle car era, that they would have put larger displaccements and/or produced more horsepower form the get go. I guess I just get amazed over the oddest things. Do not get me wrong, I LOVE my Stang, it does have a a lot of power, it is very cool and it is simply beautiful.
I don't think Ford anticipated what they would start with the 2005+, Mustang, I think because of the popularity the wars will begin again with the Camaro and Charger. I think also fuel economy penalties\weight have a lot to do with it.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
[quote=nghtrnnr]I Want The Old Mrvandermey Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

I feel your pain my friend, but let's keep it open to all eyes, even the youngsters. As for the avitar, if you like it so much tell me where to send it and I shall send you it with one or two similar ones.
S197 Member

I too think the GT should've had a bit more power, maybe around 330-350. But then again there is a massive aftermarket for our cars and you can easily bring it to that level without spending a lot of money. Also, the GT does extremely well with the power it has, the G35c and 350Z both now have 300hp but the GT will take both of them at the lights. 300 horsepower may not be as impressive today as it was a few years ago but it still puts a smile on my face.

BTW.. I'm going to pick up my car in about an hour IT'S IN!!!
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantage
I too think the GT should've had a bit more power, maybe around 330-350. But then again there is a massive aftermarket for our cars and you can easily bring it to that level without spending a lot of money. Also, the GT does extremely well with the power it has, the G35c and 350Z both now have 300hp but the GT will take both of them at the lights. 300 horsepower may not be as impressive today as it was a few years ago but it still puts a smile on my face.

BTW.. I'm going to pick up my car in about an hour IT'S IN!!!
Congrats!!! You tradin in the '03?

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxed'05 GT
Congrats!!! You tradin in the '03?
Eventually I am, but not right away, within the next month or so its going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page