Door Felt - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Door Felt

Has anyone seen felt for the doors (to replace the rubber weatherstrip) anywhere for sale? I've seen several posts where people have had it installed when tinting the windows, but don't know if it's available retail.

I'm gonna attempt to install this myself since I can't find anyone around my area that will do it. Wish me luck!

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgrl99
Has anyone seen felt for the doors (to replace the rubber weatherstrip) anywhere for sale? I've seen several posts where people have had it installed when tinting the windows, but don't know if it's available retail.

I'm gonna attempt to install this myself since I can't find anyone around my area that will do it. Wish me luck!
May be a dumb one, but....Why felt instead of rubber?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

Some people have found they had to put felt on to keep from getting scratches in their tinting they had put on the windows. I am debating whether I am going to have my windows tinted since I have the red leather interior and it will fade if I don't keep the sun off of it and take care of it. Some people have had problems with getting scratches from the rubber at the bottom of the window and some people are lucky enough not to have that problem I may add felt before hand also if I get mine tinted just in case. As for where to get replacement felt pieces all I have seen so far in these threads is that people have just purchased felt strips and cut and attached them themselves, (probebly using glue to attach the felt to the rubber strip so the felt now rides on the window, but I am not possitive you may want to look up a similiar thread). Any way when you get it done let us know how it went.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006

I don't think it's the rubber. As I understood it, there's something inside the door/window mechanism causing the scratching.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006

It definitely IS the rubber, mine got 9 or 10 scratches the very first time I put them up. The other posts have tons of people with this problem, they had tint shops install some felt on the rubber seal, then retinted and no problems after that. Wierd part is that not everyone has had a problem. I can't find a shop by me that will install felt, they look at me like I'm crazy. I thought of maybe ordering a set of seals for the 06 thinking maybe they are improved by now, mine was bought early 05.

The guy that tinted mine here, loved the car and was excited about doing the first 05 in the area, when I brought it back with scratches I thought he was going to cry. LOL Said he would redo them for free if I can find a fix. Others have said you just need to keep the inner seals very clean and dirt free. The dirt particles don't have any place to go (two hard surfaces)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006
Rookie
S197 Member

Agreed that it is the rubber. I am on the hunt this weekend for felt so I can get my door windows retinted and not have to deal with the scratches. I'll try and take pics.

2006 Tungsten Gray GT | Dark Charcoal Leather | IUP | 5 Speed | C&L Intake | SCT 2 w/ THR Custom Tune | Pro 5.0 4.10s | Tokico D-Spec | BMR Springs | BMR UCA and LCA | BMR Panhard and Support Bar | Steeda Charge Motion Delete | Steeda UDP | Silverhorse Flush Louvers | Legend Rear Spoiler | Steeda Shock Tower Brace | Strange Development Z-Brace | Steeda G-Trac Brace | SLP Loudmouths
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006

Yeah, I was actually having the scratch problem BIG TIME!!! Made me wanna cry. My tint has a lifetime warranty, and was installed in November, so I don't imagine my shop will give me any trouble, but I had intended to tell them to use felt this time. Now I'm worried they'll say no. Guess I'll let you know after I see them Monday.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Definitely is the rubber as others have said. Had mine tinted about 4 days after I got it and was ASSURED that there should be no problems with scratching. Ha! I have a row of 1" scratches at the bottom of BOTH windows. Waited almost a month before lowering the windows and now I also have about 3-4 window-height scratches on both sides.

My tint was also put on with lifetime warranty. However, when I talked to them, they have no problem re-doing for this first time, but won't want to replace over and over (can understand that!). Now I'm stuck because they won't install felt, the dealer won't install it and another place I called that does custom car work also won't. So. I'm on my own! I did read an old post where someone said they went to Hobby Lobby and bought the felt strip that has a sticky backing and put that on. But they didn't really say if they removed the original rubber, or just put it on over it. https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ad.php?t=43183
Wouldn't that make it 'too' thick, though? Would that interfere with the window operation?

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Zrullac
I don't even have tint and I am getting scratches on my glass on the passenger window. Are the dealers covering this problem.

MSgt, USAFR Retired
2006 Mustang GT Deluxe Coupe, Tungsten Grey, Dark Charcoal Int., IUP, AAT, Leather Trim Bucket Seats, 17" 40th Anniversary Bullits w/tri-bar Pony Spinner, TR3650 5-Spd Man Tranny, Wheel Locking Kit, MRT Hood Struts. Pioneer AVIC-D1 Nav system.
Apprentice

I BELIEVE THEYRE GOING TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOURS, they cant use the after market tint as an excuse. they need to fix the probem , stop selling tint and warn new buyers..till they get a remedy

I had my tint scratched as well. I wrote a long letter to the owners of the dealership/service dept. and told them how dissappointed I was about this and how the service mgr. told me it was not their problem and FORD was recommending not to have any new 05 or 06's tinted.I live in Fl. so this was totally unacceptable. Long story short,they called me back within 3 days and told me to come in and they would install felt for free. Now I have no problems whatsoever.
And can you imagine cleaning the rubber EVERY day so the tint doesn't get scratched?? GET REAL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page