Polished valve covers - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent05redfire View Post
I know how much work polishing metal can be. I once polished four aluminum wheels that had the machined finish. having a machine is a huge time saver.

covers look great! I am considering doing this now. I wonder if you spray a clear coat on the covers if that would stop the metal from darkening?
I think a clear coat would help. This task is on my list of cheap but necessary mods. It is a lot of work though...
Hats off to those that have the patience for this task.

2005 GT Premium, windveil blue, silver GT-style painted stripes, BBK CAI and Shorty Headers, Cat-back Bassani exhaust system. SCT Performance Tune. 20" Shelby Razor wheels,14" eradi-speed rotors, Tokico DSpec shocks, steeda sportlite springs, BMR suspension bars.

Member MCOH
Member MCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCo View Post
More pics, thats about it, Anybody with experience in metal polishing could prlly tell you how to do this better, this just my experience. thanx
Have to admit, that looks fabulous. I want to powder coat mine, but now that I see them polished, I may rethink the powder coating. Looks great my friend.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Nice job man!!

Is it really +$300 to powedercoat them? Is 'chrome' more? Mine were like $100 in blue... see my gallery to the left... The name of that color...?? SodaPopBlue... lol

I like the FRC/FRPP plastic blue ones... don't know why...?? Speedy?

Here are a couple for you who're too lazy to look in my gallery:

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo...4/ppuser/18632
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo...0/ppuser/18632

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations

S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj_cinci View Post
Is it really +$300 to powedercoat them? Is 'chrome' more? Mine were like $100 in blue...
+1... I paid $100 to have mine powdercoated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07624.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	25009   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07651.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	25010  
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zmanm3
They look great!

05 - Zeon body kit, Saleen S/C, 3.6" pully, 90mm MAF, L/T Heders, Catted X-Pipe, Saleen Race Craft suspension, Axel brace, Pan hard bar. More to come this spring from my friends at PMP and Larry H.
65 - Street force coil over front suspension, Wilwood disk breaks at all 4 wheels, More construction in progress! More to come this spring from Simons Auto & Restoration!
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Yea, they do! Good choice of color!!!

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
GT Member
S197 Member

Great look guys.Thinking of doing something to mine also.Zoops makes all kind of aluminum pieces for street rods.They sell something called Zoopseal to keep metal parts shiny without turning dull.I have not used but see it in rod mags.Can find under Zoops.com.Keep shiney side up.

2006 Gt Premium coupe,automatic,white with red Shelby stripes,18 in.wheels,seq lites,plem. cover,Rouse hood scoop and flowmasters,Steeda strut brace,Steeda polished stainless fuse and radiator covers,rear camera(Boyo tag cam)thru Crimestopper rear mirror.Ford molded mud flaps,Silverhorse polished billet fuel door,and chrome console trim.Headlight Splitters.American Muscle Raxiom 2010 taillights.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj_cinci View Post
Nice job man!!

Is it really +$300 to powedercoat them? Is 'chrome' more? Mine were like $100 in blue... see my gallery to the left... The name of that color...?? SodaPopBlue... lol

I like the FRC/FRPP plastic blue ones... don't know why...?? Speedy?
Mine cost just over $200.00, but it's a two part metalic application. They're actually powdercoated twice.
The "chrome" powdercoating looks good, but when you put a clear protective coating it looks more like aluminum. Without the coating, the chrome powdercoat can be more easily scratched. It's actually no more expensive to do chrome powdercoat than any other solid color. But to buy the covers is like $120 more. Go figure.
If someone wanted to polish their covers, I would get them clear powdercoated right away and then they should retain their shine. That shouldn't be expensive at all. You could also do a candy (semi-transparent) color over the polished for a look that's almost a dead ringer for annodizing.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.

I have polished a bunch of motorcycle parts. Avoid sandpaper at all costs if you can. If there is a factory clear coat or pain, use airplane stripper to take it off. It's VERY hard to get the sandpaper scratches out once they are there.

I use a combo of the airplane stripper to remove anything on top and then the black polish to a first cut, and then right to a finish with the green. Green seems to be the best stuff yet.
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

I'm going to try and find some covers in the junk yard and either polish or power coat.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelers View Post
I'm going to try and find some covers in the junk yard and either polish or power coat.
Try going to eBay. Or you can do like I did and get one of the forum membes to sell you theirs. Don't ask me, I'm not ready to let go of my spare set yet.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelers View Post
I've got a great used parts yard about 20 miles from home. I may go see what kind of Mustang inventory they've got.

1965 Mustang Coupe
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
I've got a great used parts yard about 20 miles from home. I may go see what kind of Mustang inventory they've got.
I've never had luck going locally. These cars are too new to find parts. Heck, I can't find parts for my 2000 F-150. If you find some, let me know. You're not that far away from me that it wouldn't be worth my taking a day to come up there. There are a bunch of small parts I'd like to send out for chrome or powdercoating.

SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
If you find some let me know how much they want if you don't want them or they have a few sets. That would be a good excuse to drive down and meet. PM me if that works for you. thanks

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page