Front license plate question??? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack
Seriously, do not drill into your car for stupid plates. Wait for one of your congressmen to buy a GT and he/she will change the law. Bound to happen. I am waiting. I have been pulled over for not having a front plate. When I told the officer that I knew I needed one, in Idaho and that I had to drill into the bumper to mount one as there is nowhere to put it, he let it go at that. I saw him this very morning and he looked at the car again as he drove by but did not pull me over. When he got me last Saturday, he also did not like the idea of drilling into a Mustang to bend a plate around the front. Ugly.

No ticket, no warning other than a "See if you can get a bracket".
I would have been fine with getting a ticket for DRIVING my car without a front plate, but I got one for my car being PARKED without one...stupid over zealous DC parking people.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Cool Velco!!!

IN NH we need a front plate too, so for inspection purposed (only) I hot glued the heads of two screws onto the plate and then used Velcro to attached the plate to the front of the car. Once I got the car home with the new sticker I took the plate/velco off. My wife has not been stopped yet.....

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
Just out of curiosity, if a front plate is deemed necessary by the law makers or certain states, then why is that the manufactures rarely make room for such in their designs. I mean every car out there has a specific area made for the rear license plate, but not for the front, why is that?
you answered your question in your first sentence. there are states that don't require a front plate, so, the manufacturer will include an area that will work for the front plate. I notice the V6 fronts have a more pronounced area for the plate. while the GT's only have two dimples where you can put the plate. but, since ALL states require the rear plate, there is a more pronounced area for the plate. be it on the bumper, the trunk lid, or somehwere on the rear of the car.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-

PONY Member
S197 Member

Front plate and no drilling. Not sure if it works for the V6 though...Drilled four holes on the plate, lined the back with felt (sticky on one side) and used zip ties and the center post. Worked great for the last 5 months. I just put the CDC Front Chin Spoiler on and as I suspected, the plate no longer fits. Back to the drawing board for me.

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...743_edited.jpg

12.4 @ 111mph

Saleen S/C, Thump Tensioner, BGG 8 Rib, Kooks, Stingers, Gords, 4.10, Spec 3+, Pro 5.0, GT500 FPs, GT500 T/B, Ultralite Springs, DSpecs, Prothane Mounts, BMR - Adj. Panhard Bar, LCAs, LCA Relo Brackets, Adj. UCA, Rear Sway, Sway Delete/Rad Support
GT Member
S197 Member

I live in Keller, Tx, in the DFW area, and I can probably count out over 200 cars a day I see without a front plate. I take that as a sign that I probably won't get pulled over for not having one on. I will not put it on until I get a ticket for it. I left my second plate under my passenger seat just in case I'm pulled over. I'll pull it out and play dumb saying there wasn't any holes nor a bracket to install it onto. Hopefully that'll work for like, forever.

What a stupid law anyways. One on the back should be fine. They don't make cars anymore that look good with plates up front. Just another way the man tries to get our money for stupid ****.

2019 GT - Velocity Blue with Black Accent Package
PONY Member

I'm in ne ohio too- no holes yet...I just read a week or so ago 06's now are coming with a plate bracket??? havent seen one yet myself though- may stop in at a dealer and see, but I also hope the laws change- ya know what...I bet if ALL front plates were removed nationwide, we'd save like a million gallons of fuel a year too, as on many if not most it adds frontal area by blocking grille or hanging below bumper- Think I'll write my congressman

06 gt stick vista blue - love this car!
07 pony auto vista blue (wifes)
09 gt stick vista blue (ordered day after the '10 reveal- 4 miles/undriven still)
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracy (OH)
No bracket with my 06, but I'll have to contact my dealer again to see if they have one that will fit. I really don't want to, but on the V6 it has that indent for the plate, so...might as well.

2006 Mustang Coupe
Performance White V6 4.0
w/Pony Package
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

If you want to put a plate on a V6 I've tried the standard 6"X12" it was to big but the 4"X12" is just fine and don't need a bracket. See for your self. I bought it from MossMustang they have a nice selection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plate.bmp
Views:	145
Size:	833.9 KB
ID:	15795  

05 Mustang V6, Screaming yellow.
Sequential taillights, 3 pillar gauges (light show, vacuum, water temp), rocker stripes, Roush hood scoop, Zenon side scoop, rally stripes, 17" bullit mag, GT grille and bumper.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbtwtf
If you want to put a plate on a V6 I've tried the standard 6"X12" it was to big but the 4"X12" is just fine and don't need a bracket. See for your self. I bought it from MossMustang they have a nice selection.
I like that plate

However, there is no indent, like that, on a GT...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	neighbors tree.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	969.2 KB
ID:	15800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gleaming.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	707.0 KB
ID:	15801  

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack
I like that plate

However, there is no indent, like that, on a GT...
Very nice pictures I love that shine...

I hope that you will find a bracket for a front plate.

05 Mustang V6, Screaming yellow.
Sequential taillights, 3 pillar gauges (light show, vacuum, water temp), rocker stripes, Roush hood scoop, Zenon side scoop, rally stripes, 17" bullit mag, GT grille and bumper.
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I have had a ton of problems with police in MN. I get pulled over all the time. I think it's the yellow color. Of all the times I have been pulled over I have only received 1 speeding ticket. I got a $100 ticket for not having a front plate as well. Then, instead of putting on something that actually complied, I put on a clear yellow cover and drilled my front bumper.

What I found out is that the clear yellow cover has saved me from speeding tickets. The cover is also illegal in MN. But, when I get pulled over for speeding, to keep it off my record, the cops ticket me or warn me for the illegal covers and don't write up the speed. Either way it works out well for me.

2005 V6 4.0 Liter
Screaming Yellow

Appearance: Premium Interior, sport package, Custom Leather Interior,Saleen Extreme Composite Hood, GT Rear Bumper, GT Front Grill, MRT Rear Window Louvers, Side Window Scoops, 17 Chrome Bullitt Rims, BFG G-Force Radial T/A 255ZR 17's

Performance Mods: K&N CAI, JBA Headers, Custom Dual Exhaust, Dual Magnaflow Mufflers, Predator Flash Tuner with HPA Racing custom tune, Ford 7.5" Trac-Loc Differential, Ford Racing 4.10 Gears
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Stang
LOL.

Mine was predrilled when I went to test drive it.
I've since taken of the plate and frame, and plugged the holes with plastic tabs, painted to match.
Already received one speeding ticket (hey, it's a rite of passage), but he didn't even look to see if I had the front plate on.

I did the same thing, plugged the holes with painted plastic tabs. I don't know what they're called but they're barbed push-pins. I live in California and haven't had a problem yet. In fact, I haven't had a front license plate on any of my other trucks or cars either. I guess...just lucky so far. Knock on wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT05GT
I bought my car in Pa where no front plate is required and when I moved to Virginia I didn't want to drill holes in my bumper for the front plate so I just didn't put it on for a few months. Then, when I was parked on the street in DC I got a ticket from a parking attendant for not having the front plate on display...needless to say I was not happy. I was ready to get a ticket from a cop in Virginia but this really pissed me off. Nothing I could do about though. It was a sad sad sad day when I finally ended up drilling those holes...
I got a ticket in the mail from the NYC parking authority for not having a front plate on my GT. Only problem is I have PA tags on my car. Front plates are not required in PA. Needless to say I chucked the citation in the trash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page