V6 trade in - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

V6 trade in

im not sure if anyones posted this thread already but my friend is dying to trade in his 05 V6 for a GT. what kinda dealership BS does he have to adhere to and what kinda paper work must be followed? i posted this thread a while ago but it died and he didnt want to do it anymore once he found out there was gonna be a turbo kit coming out for the V6. but then he got it and got smoked by Z06 so he says... thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumDropLarry
im not sure if anyones posted this thread already but my friend is dying to trade in his 05 V6 for a GT. what kinda dealership BS does he have to adhere to and what kinda paper work must be followed? i posted this thread a while ago but it died and he didnt want to do it anymore once he found out there was gonna be a turbo kit coming out for the V6. but then he got it and got smoked by Z06 so he says... thanks in advance.
IT was probably just a C6 or C5. Not saying it isnt possible, but he'd need more than a turbo to take out a Z06(unless it was an older Z06), especially on a V6.

What do you mean paperwork and "dealer BS"? He goes in and buy a new GT, and sells his V6 to the dealer. Granted he'll take a big hit since A) it's used, and B) it's been modded, so who know's if they dealer would even buy it from him since he put a turbo in. He'd be better off selling it privately cuz then he could get more money.

But on second tohught, '05 V6 w/ Turbo would most likely be faster than a stock GT. So why would he sell it after investing all that money?

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006
nghtrnnr

he wants a higher ceiling...a modded v6 may be faster than a gt but he hit that lil v6's roof...he wants the potential of a modded gt...v6 safely reachin 350 or so...gt safely reachin 450 or so...that sort of thing....i say your buddy should definitely not try and sell it to the dealer...no way would he get back even part of his investment....my solution for him is to keep his v6 and pick on the older z06. heck...if you really want to have fun go pick on an old ferrari.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

Or... Keep the V6 and make it a real "sleeper". Drop a different motor in it... Either the 4.6 or something bigger from Ford Racing???? I wonder how that would compare cost wise with getting a GT and then modifing that motor.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006

get the GT. I dont think the V6 structurally is the same as the GT. Especially if he wants to push the v6 to the limit.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatho
Or... Keep the V6 and make it a real "sleeper". Drop a different motor in it... Either the 4.6 or something bigger from Ford Racing???? I wonder how that would compare cost wise with getting a GT and then modifing that motor.
But you can't just drop a new motor in there without raplcing tons of other stuff that might not withstand the added HP. New drivetrain, suspension, gear, yada yada yada. Buy a GT ;-)

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

so is it a direct trade in for the GT then? hes got cash up the wazoo but i dont know why he didnt just buy a GT in the first place. maybe i should start taking up internet poker.:thumbsup
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123
But you can't just drop a new motor in there without raplcing tons of other stuff that might not withstand the added HP. New drivetrain, suspension, gear, yada yada yada. Buy a GT ;-)
Ok.. maybe I was assuming that the tranny and rearend were the same in the GT as they are in the V6. Are they really different? Also, suspension can be easily replaced with the stock GT stuff, or a Saleen kit ($800). Not that I would do any of this, but I was just thinking it might be cool to pull up next to <input your favorite foe here> and smoke them with what they thought was a V6.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006
nghtrnnr

if he has cash up the wazoo tell him to give you the v6 and buy a vette
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtrnnr
he wants a higher ceiling...a modded v6 may be faster than a gt but he hit that lil v6's roof...he wants the potential of a modded gt...v6 safely reachin 350 or so...gt safely reachin 450 or so...that sort of thing....i say your buddy should definitely not try and sell it to the dealer...no way would he get back even part of his investment....my solution for him is to keep his v6 and pick on the older z06. heck...if you really want to have fun go pick on an old ferrari.
Yea I'm waiting to encounter a 348 (or even a 308 or 328) and give them a run. I think I could run with a 348 and I know I'd mop the floor with a 308 or 328 that would be fun. There's a guy on my street with a 355 Spider, hmm, not too sure about that one, they're still pretty quick.
S197 Member

ANY V6 or GT (even a s/c one) would have to reallllly fight to beat a new Z06. Those things are Viper FAST! 0-60 in the high 3's and low 4's! Forget about 1/4 mile times.

If your friend (or you want to be able to smoke a z06 --- you better show up with a seriuosly modded $$$$ piece of machine. Even the new 07 GT500 would be a drivers race. I love my S/C '05 V6 --- but taking on a z06 with anything less than $50g's invested - GOOD LUCK!
5.0L Member

I used to sell cars (not for long) so I have a little insight. If he wants to trade in, find out what he thinks his car is worth (reallistically). Then go to the dealer to negotiate a price on the new GT. DO NOT TELL THE DEALER ABOUT THE TRADE IN!!!!!!!!! After you agree on a price, tell the dealer "well, I'd like to do the deal now and not have to worry about selling my car. My car is worth X dollars. If you can give that, I will do the deal today." Then don't budge. They will tell you that the car has problems, bad tires, they are losing money, etc. Just don't budge from your position. Remember, even if you get the car at invoice, they are still making money on factory to dealer incentives and dealer holdback.

I did this little number on the salesman when I bought my Mountaineer. I didn't tell him about my trade until AFTER we had agreed on a price. The dude never even saw it coming. I had my financing lined up before I got there, and I bought the car for 1000 bucks less than the trade in value at the time. Because of this, I have NEVER been "upside down" in my car's trade in value/amount I owe. I also got 500 more than the trade in value of my old car in EXCELLENT condition (and that POS wouldn't hold oil for longer than an hour).

Anyway, if your buddy is serious about trading his car, this is the way to do it. And don't expect to get retail value for the trade in 'cuz it ain't gonna happen on a V6 mustang.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WITELITENIN
I used to sell cars (not for long) so I have a little insight. If he wants to trade in, find out what he thinks his car is worth (reallistically). Then go to the dealer to negotiate a price on the new GT. DO NOT TELL THE DEALER ABOUT THE TRADE IN!!!!!!!!! After you agree on a price, tell the dealer "well, I'd like to do the deal now and not have to worry about selling my car. My car is worth X dollars. If you can give that, I will do the deal today." Then don't budge. They will tell you that the car has problems, bad tires, they are losing money, etc. Just don't budge from your position. Remember, even if you get the car at invoice, they are still making money on factory to dealer incentives and dealer holdback.

I did this little number on the salesman when I bought my Mountaineer. I didn't tell him about my trade until AFTER we had agreed on a price. The dude never even saw it coming. I had my financing lined up before I got there, and I bought the car for 1000 bucks less than the trade in value at the time. Because of this, I have NEVER been "upside down" in my car's trade in value/amount I owe. I also got 500 more than the trade in value of my old car in EXCELLENT condition (and that POS wouldn't hold oil for longer than an hour).

Anyway, if your buddy is serious about trading his car, this is the way to do it. And don't expect to get retail value for the trade in 'cuz it ain't gonna happen on a V6 mustang.
are you saying that hypothetically/realisiticly, you could get a GT for as much as a V6? hes waiting for the GT500 to come out because he thinks that everyone with GT's are going to trade in for one. but the dealership he got his car from isnt an SVT authorized dealership....
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumDropLarry
are you saying that hypothetically/realisiticly, you could get a GT for as much as a V6? hes waiting for the GT500 to come out because he thinks that everyone with GT's are going to trade in for one. but the dealership he got his car from isnt an SVT authorized dealership....
Dealer are only getting 2 or 3 GT500's per dealer for quite a while and selling them for over $50,000 each - nonetheless the waiting list is extremely long and unless you are in good with a dealer or in the very least going to pay 20G+ over list --- get the GT and do your own performance mod's. No dealer is going to give u a GT either for the price of a v6. Gt's are still going atleast LIST in my parts. Dealers around here won't budge and are taking the GT500's when they get to their dealerships right to auction! If he was in the market for a GT500 initially, then he shouldn't even flinch at the idea of either keeping the 6 as a "beater" or just taking a hit on the trade and getting his GT500, and not be so worried about $$ I think your friend is just messin with you if that's his rationale.
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminyellin6
Gt's are still going atleast LIST in my parts.
If you know where to buy, you can buy GTs for well below list. Only on limited production cars (Viper, Ford GT, GT500, Z06, etc) should anybody pay MSRP or above (with the exception of certain cars when they first get to showrooms: ie mustang GT in 2005). RIGHT NOW, NO ONE SHOULD BE PAYING STICKER PRICE FOR A MUSTANG GT. If they are, they are A) a sucker, B) don't care about how much they pay (money doesn't matter), C) too lazy to shop around, or D) will believe anything anyone tells them (ie: salesman says "it is rare, we are losing money, yada yada yada") so that refers them back to letter A-->sucker. Check out the link to this dealership's ad:

http://www.southernfordsuperstore.co.../new041006.jpg

And they sell TONS of mustangs. You've all heard of the "bait and switch" where you are lured in with the promise of a cheap car but oops they sold it so check this other one out. These people actually sell their specials. My Dad bought a King Ranch F250 Crew Cab 4x4 from these cats for 30,000 bucks out the door. That's taxes, tags, inspected, full tank-a-gas and a fresh coat-a-wax. And guess what, that week, they ran the same special on the mustangs. The deals are out there, you just have to look. It is your own fault if you get ripped off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page