For those of you that have already installed the rear window louver from MRT.... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

For those of you that have already installed the rear window louver from MRT....

How important is the step where you place the hardware, then wait 24 hours before attaching the louver? I'm taking a 1/2 day from work today to get started on it. So what I'm hoping is to get everything set by around 1:00. However, I don't have anyplace to put it inside and there's chance for rain/t-storms tomorrow and I don't know that I'll get home in time to set the louver before that happens. So, if I let the car sit outside in the sun all afternoon and this evening, think it would be okay to go ahead and finish the install later this evening?

Any additional tips ya'll can offer would also be much appreciated!! I've already printed out a couple of other threads about installing this louver, so I'm pretty sure I'm ready to go...been waiting forever it feels like for the weather to break enough to put this on!! :green

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006
S197 Member

Aren't you supposed to avoid getting it wet during that 24hr period?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006

best advice i can give is wait for a nice warm day and place all the hardware on and let it bake in the sun. I let mine set up for a full day in august here in texas with the temp around 100 and still had some problems. Luckily it was only one corner and i think the problem was that i had the bottom left piece a little too far apart and the louvers pulled it up. Other piece of advice is that putting the louvers on is much easier with two people instead of by yourself. I personally dont see how you can get them on without the extra hands. Good luck and enjoy.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Thanks for the help/advice. My Dad and I were able to get everything on with no problems yesterday - woo-hoo! :thumbsup It was a nice 75 degree day, so no worries there....and it sat in the sun for about 6-7 hours. Everything looks good and tight, no wiggles, rattling, etc. The instructions read to place everything, then remove the louvers...however, it appears that's only if you're going to drive it. So since I wasn't planning on going anywhere in it, we went ahead and mounted everything up and left the louvers there (Dad thought it would be best to let the weight hold the brackets down as they were setting). Checked it again before I went to bed and it all still looks great!

Vandil - just fyi, I was worried about the rain, but the instructions don't mention anything about not getting anything wet.... So hopefully it'll all be good if we do get the 40% chance they're calling for today!!

2006 Deluxe GT. 5-spd. Black w/Dk. Charcoal cloth. IUP. Shaker 500. 8" stripes painted "satin grey effect".

1966 Sprint 200 coupe - Wimbledon White/red metal flake, red interior. 92,000 miles. 3rd owner (since 1989).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

FORDGRL99...can u post some pics of that spoiler installed...im considering one and want to see one on black with silver stripes.....is mrt the only available brand or does cdc make one too?..thanx

06 GT PREMIUM Manual, 18's, Hurst billet, Webelectric sequentials, painted 10" stripes, Cervini KR500 hood w/functional ram air kit, K&N air filter, Cervini side exhaust, chin spoiler, hood struts, rear ducktail, quarter panel scoops, and quarter window scoops, Midweat Auto Gear strut tower covers, 1/2 mirror covers, and fuel rail covers. Pioneer touch screeen head unit w/blue tooth, dvd & sirius.Also haves: 1969 Lemans & 1968 Firebird.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

You shouldn't have any problems. I put mine on in Minnesota with snow all around. I parked it in the sun until the window warmed up. I mounted the louvers almost immediately after putting on the taped brackets. I had no problems at all.

Just don't go through an automatic car wash for a while. I waited a week, then I ran it through a full serve soft cloth carwash with no problems.

2005 V6 4.0 Liter
Screaming Yellow

Appearance: Premium Interior, sport package, Custom Leather Interior,Saleen Extreme Composite Hood, GT Rear Bumper, GT Front Grill, MRT Rear Window Louvers, Side Window Scoops, 17 Chrome Bullitt Rims, BFG G-Force Radial T/A 255ZR 17's

Performance Mods: K&N CAI, JBA Headers, Custom Dual Exhaust, Dual Magnaflow Mufflers, Predator Flash Tuner with HPA Racing custom tune, Ford 7.5" Trac-Loc Differential, Ford Racing 4.10 Gears
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
S197 Member

Re: For those of you that have already installed the rear window louver from MRT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgrl99
Vandil - just fyi, I was worried about the rain, but the instructions don't mention anything about not getting anything wet.... So hopefully it'll all be good if we do get the 40% chance they're calling for today!!
Just a general rule of thumb with 3m auto tape. 24hr cure time, don't wash/wet the car during that cure period. Sounds like it was nice out anyway.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
S197 Member

Re: For those of you that have already installed the rear window louver from MRT....

I have a set on order, actually in shipment. Would you mind posting up a photo or two of your car post install?

Thanks,
-danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page