Exhaust and a butthole - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by numba1stunna69x
If you put exhaust on a 6 cylinder be prepared to see everyone around point fun at you when you get it past 3 grand. now if you have a power adder to back up that foul sound then more power to you, and to your wheels. on a stock 4.0 V6, you might see 5-7 rwhp.
The stock muffler on the new 4.0L is incredibly restrictive... a good after market muffler is a 10RWHP gain... 2 seperate shops I trust have proven it on the dyno...

John - The V6 Apologist

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - BBK Shorties - MRT Axle Back - FRPP 3.55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

I just had duals installed. I used GT takeoffs, a GT left side midpipe and Ford hangers. A local muffler shop fabricated a custom X-pipe and a friend notched my bumper. The car has a nice mellow sound through the entire RPM range. The whole thing cost me less than $250.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual_small.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	15854   Click image for larger version

Name:	dual_small2.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	15855  

"Political Correctness means always having to say you're sorry"
05 4.0 Screaming Yellow Premium Coupe: IUP, Auto
SCT X-Cal2, MAC CAI, Dual GT Takeoff Mufflers w/ H-Pipe
4:10 Richmond Gears, Pony Package Grill
Best 1320 Time 14.7 @ 98 MPH (Before the 4:10's)
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgensemer
I just had duals installed. I used GT takeoffs, a GT left side midpipe and Ford hangers. A local muffler shop fabricated a custom X-pipe and a friend notched my bumper. The car has a nice mellow sound through the entire RPM range. The whole thing cost me less than $250.
It looks like your right one is lower than the left.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch
It looks like your right one is lower than the left.
Nope, they are the same, we took extra time to insure the height and the tip distance were the same on either side. It could be the angle of the photo that made you see it that way (:

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

rg so did u make your duals true duals? and how does it soud with the gt take offs is it notciably deeper then the single v6 muffler
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGi
rg so did u make your duals true duals? and how does it soud with the gt take offs is it notciably deeper then the single v6 muffler
Digi,
Yes, these are true duals possible using a fabricated X-pipe. If you go this route please use the GT midpipe and Ford hangers as you'll save yourself a lot of grief in the end as the mandrel bent midpipe is stainless steel and the factory hangers insure correct fit and alignment.
The stock v6 muffler is pretty lame so anything you do should be an improvement. It is also very resrictive while the GT muffler is open chambered and designed for performance. If you have a chance, listen to a stock GT and you'll hear what I mean. Now keep in mind our 4.0's will never sound like a GT but with this setup it's about as close as you'll get. With that in mind just listen to a few sound clips of JBA, SRT, Magnaflow and you'll find a tone you like.
I've attached a clip of my setup to give you an idea what dual GT takeoffs sound like. Good Luck! You're lucky to have a Dad that trusts you enough to buy you a 'Stang. I hope you don't let him down.....
Attached Files
File Type: zip Ron_GT_Takeoffs.zip (65.3 KB, 35 views)

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

It sounds great i may just have to do what you did, ill prob use the jba chrome headers but the true duals with the gt take offs sound pretty nice, hopefully they are deep and loud as the clip sounds like. I havnt been able to find a clip of the JBA mufflers do yuo ar anyone else know where i can find one. and is SRT good cause i havnt even thought about them yet?
oh and are the GT tips chrome polished or are they just aluminum cause i want to he a nice look as well, lol.
PONY Member

Quote:
It sounds great i may just have to do what you did, ill prob use the jba chrome headers but the true duals with the gt take offs sound pretty nice, hopefully they are deep and loud as the clip sounds like. I havnt been able to find a clip of the JBA mufflers do yuo ar anyone else know where i can find one. and is SRT good cause i havnt even thought about them yet?
oh and are the GT tips chrome polished or are they just aluminum cause i want to he a nice look as well, lol.
OK, I can help you here as well. The first muffler I bought was a JBA. This was a single setup and I ran this until I went with the duals. It sounded good as well and in fact, would have kept it if JBA would have sold me a single left side muffler.
The GT tips are as pictured in my previous post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Ron_GT_Takeoffs.zip (65.3 KB, 24 views)

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

i see, but wouldnt i be able to put the jba headers and still use the gt take-offs?
That way i get a nice look in the engine but if i decide to switch o straight duals i already have good headers for it and all i would have to do is change the mid and end portion of the exhaust?

btw how are the SRT mufflers i hvant heard much about them, but some one just recommended MRT to me and they said it was a solid loud sound, have you heard anything about it?
GT Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
i see, but wouldnt i be able to put the jba headers and still use the gt take-offs?
That way i get a nice look in the engine but if i decide to switch o straight duals i already have good headers for it and all i would have to do is change the mid and end portion of the exhaust?

btw how are the SRT mufflers i hvant heard much about them, but some one just recommended MRT to me and they said it was a solid loud sound, have you heard anything about it?
here's a couple of video clips...

Take off:

Drive by:

John - The V6 Apologist

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - BBK Shorties - MRT Axle Back - FRPP 3.55
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

ok thanks man, they dont sound too bad, at least for a v6 and it seems like they are street legal so that i wouldnt get a ticket for loudness, unless im wrong, does anyone know?
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

how are the single magnaflow mufflers, anyone els ehave an opinoin on those, are they deeper then stock and do they add a little rwhp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page