clear bra updates? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006
nghtrnnr

clear bra updates?

in theory this really looks interestin...anyone have that clearbra yet....whered you buy it?how much was it?have you had it awhile?hows it holding up? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006
S197 Member

it looks really interesting on your GF! hahah j/k but seriously, it holds the twins up nicley

Sorry, i had to!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

a couple of years ago, I seen a Lamborghine Jalpa with the clear bra on it. it was nice to see such a rare car still being driven, as evidenced by the clear bra.
it was holding up nicely, and you couldn't see the bra until you got right up on the car. probably some wet sanding to blend into the clear and you will never know it is there.

I was planning on finding a place that can do my stang and see what the prices are like.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006
Apprentice

In November of '05 I installed a clear bra on my car. The car hasn't seen too much mileage as it isn't my daily driver; however, it looks as good as the day it was put on. The front of the car is still unblemished. I did have one instance where I knew I took a direct hit from a rock on the highway. You could see it in slow motion as t was traveling towards the front of your car and then you could hear the impact. I freaked out. When I had a chance to look at it, I found that the 3M plastic on the corner edge of the front bumper was nicked and had a cut in it, but to my surprise,the car's finish was free from any nicks, chips or dents.

The clear bra (or 3M calls it a protective paint shield) gets washed and waxed just like anything else. You can't see it unless you're standing right over the car. If you're using your Pony as a daily driver, I would strongly recommend this product. If you have it installed (I would also strongly suggest) it is a little pricey; anywhere from $400 - F&I hood only, or up to $700 for hood, front end, the rockers, and behind the wheels.

Prev. owned: '65 Coupe, '84 GT, '86 LX w/ 5.0, & '05 GT Prem.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006
Rookie
S197 Member

I have the 3M product installed on my car about a 2 weeks after I picked her up from the dealer. The professional install of the kit cost me about $800.00 on my Saleen. There is a pic of the front end and unless you look really closely you would not even know its on the front fascia, hood and fenders. I also opted for some along the door edges for some added protection. I have used the products in the past on my other vehicles and it holds up like a champ. My only negative comment, would be when you are like right on top of the car inches away you can see some areas where the adhesive was spread underneath the protective coating. It is more noticable on dark colors then light ones. But get a foot or more away and you can't see it But if you are looking for the ulitimate proctection there is nothing better then it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feb06 007.jpg
Views:	2593
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	15825  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehawk422
I have the 3M product installed on my car about a 2 weeks after I picked her up from the dealer. The professional install of the kit cost me about $800.00 on my Saleen. There is a pic of the front end and unless you look really closely you would not even know its on the front fascia, hood and fenders. I also opted for some along the door edges for some added protection. I have used the products in the past on my other vehicles and it holds up like a champ. My only negative comment, would be when you are like right on top of the car inches away you can see some areas where the adhesive was spread underneath the protective coating. It is more noticable on dark colors then light ones. But get a foot or more away and you can't see it But if you are looking for the ulitimate proctection there is nothing better then it.
Can you get a photo where it is visible? thanks
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

Great product. Had the front bumper & fender, front part of hood, running & fog lights, and behind the door handles done for $499 in the Chicago area. The film is barely noticeable, even on I my black GT, and really protects the paint from chips and bug juice.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006
PONY Member

I had an Aunt years ago, that covered her living room furniture with clear plastic. It was to protect it. People used to cover their car upholstery with clear slipcovers. It was to protect it. My aunt paid for nice furniture, and then had someone stretch shiny plastic over it! My parents used to joke about it after visiting her.
I'm in sales at a major Porsche dealer, and we sell the 3M product. It's the 4th generation material that has some gloss to it, and is almost invisible. However, it's not perfect, and has small air bubbles, stretch marks(different type), and after several months will lift at some edges. Most customers tolerate its appearance, but quite a few are never happy about the small imperfections. None of us have it on our cars. I just don't like the way it looks. I prefer the look of a great paint job. Just my opinion.

2006 GT 5-Spd, Performance White w/ PAINTED Blue Pearl stripes,
Roush hood scoop, Hurst Shifter, Raptor Shift Light, Steeda Cold Air, Predator 93 Tune, Ford Racing Ceramic Shorty Headers, MRT AeroTurbine Axle-backs, Prothane "Bullet" Engine Mounts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, GT500 Struts & Shocks, UMI Performance LCA Relo Brackets & LCA's, UMI Upper Control Arm, MRT Panhard Bar, Prothane Swaybar Bushings, MMcc5-1 Caster/Camber plates, FRPP 4.10's,
Black 18" FR500s w/ BFG KDW 255/45-18's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page