Getting CAI and Exhaust...... Need advice and help. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Getting CAI and Exhaust...... Need advice and help.

I picked up an 06 GT the other weekend, and Im looking at doing some mods to it. After reading some stuff here and there I have most of my choices narrowed down.....

For exhaust im going.......

Kook Long Tube Headers (Without their X-pipe)
Mac Axle Back Muffler Kit...
Now my question is what OFF ROAD H-Pipe to use in this combo?
---I would rather use an H-pipe than Kooks X-pipe, because I like the sound of the H-pipes better than the high pitch x-pipe sound.

I would perfer something that would bolt up to this muffler/header combo, but I doubt im going to get that. So something that would be fairly easy for my local muffler shop or me to work on.

For intake im thinking.....
Modular Depots SCT/Ti combo. This one.

Now my question about the induction is, I am thinking about getting (Well I am getting, just a matter of when) a CDC shaker hood scoop for the 05/06 GT. I would like to keep it functional, since the CAI im looking at has a heat shield, I was thinking I would custom make some tubing to make the Shaker system run into the heat shield right beside the filter. Would this work and still make it force the air towards the filter? I work in a machine shop so getting tubing made/bent isnt really an issue Im just wondering if it is feasable to do this. If anyone has pictures of the CDC shaker system with an aftermarket CAI please let me see them.

Thanks for your help/time,
Josh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

I ended up getting a Demolet CAI/SCT Tune. I love it....

Now for the kooks long tubes, what kind of off road H pipe will work with it and the mac axle back?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Hi jcovercash,

I think you will need to have it made up at your local custom exhaust and muffler shop. AFAIK this is what most people are doing with Kook's LT's.

Have you considered the JBA long tubes and one of their new H pipes with high flow cats? I was at the JBA shops a few weeks ago and they were shooting a new '06 GT for a magazine install piece about building a drag car out of this GT starting with headers and exhaust system. They installed a set of JBA LT's with the new H-pipe and high-flow cats and JBA's EVOL axle backs. That car sounded like a sweeter, smoother version of the good old days. Deep and very authorative but still reasonably quiet until you step on the gas. The car was dyno'd and made 26RWHP for the whole system over the baseline pulls. This was an automatic car and the dyno showed a huge torque increase in the midrange after a minor bit of tuning, much more than the peak HP numbers would seem to indicate made sense but there it was and it was huge!

This was the first full JBA long tube system with the new high-flow catted H-pipe and EVOL mufflers I had heard and it was really very good sounding. I have a set of EVOL axle backs that I ran with the stock cats and H-pipe they sounded pretty good, mellow and very deep. The EVOL mufflers look like a classic 2 chamber design internally which doesn't seem to work very well with the MagnaFlow Tru-X Pipe w/high-flow cats I have now. It's really a LOUD combination with lots of resonance and boom outside the car but inside not as bad as itis outside.

But anyway, the JBA long tubes and the new H-pipe with high-flow cats when installed looked clean and tucked up prety well. I have a set of shortys and the long tubes are just as well made and finished.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcovercash
I ended up getting a Demolet CAI/SCT Tune. I love it....

Now for the kooks long tubes, what kind of off road H pipe will work with it and the mac axle back?

'05 Ford S197 Mineral Gray Mustang GT
Too many mods to list, check my profile if interested

'95 BMW E36 Cosmos Schwartz M3
Mild restomod project with my teen-age sons

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

IDK I was kind of set on the kooks headers... I am not sure why, but for some reason I was leaning towards them, I think mainly because the install is supposed to be so simple supposidly..... Or is that the JBA's?

I am going to sell my 5.0 in a week or two on ebay, and buy a KB intercooled blower though :p
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Hi jcovercash,

Don't get me wrong Kook's makes excellent headers and I'm certain that in this application they are also great. But if you want to stick with a catted H-pipe and long tubes you will need to buy the matching pipe from the company that makes the headers unless you want to build them yourself. Kook's is into power and there's more power on top from an X-pipe design so that is what Kook's offers. If you require an H-pipe I'm not sure that anybody else making long tubes other than JBA offers such an animal at the moment as all I have seen are offering catted and/or offroad X-pipes that bolt up to the stock mid-pipes and rear mufflers. I guess that if you are going to go to all the trouble of installing long tubes most of the header manufactures want to deliver all the power they can so X-pipe they go.

For a blower car make sure you buy 1 3/4 primary headers with a 3" collector so you can upgrade to 3" exhaust later. This is probably worth an extra 10-15RWHP at high boost levels and those are free horses!

Ha, Ha, Ha that's a good one, the phrase "easy to install" and headers in the same sentance is pretty funny unless you're talking about installing headers on a rail! DO NOT believe anyone who says installing long tubes on the S197 is easy! The long tubes while easier to install than an equal length short tube header design are still a PITA even with a lift. Pay someone to do your header install, trust me on this!

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcovercash
IDK I was kind of set on the kooks headers... I am not sure why, but for some reason I was leaning towards them, I think mainly because the install is supposed to be so simple supposidly..... Or is that the JBA's?

I am going to sell my 5.0 in a week or two on ebay, and buy a KB intercooled blower though :p

'05 Ford S197 Mineral Gray Mustang GT
Too many mods to list, check my profile if interested

'95 BMW E36 Cosmos Schwartz M3
Mild restomod project with my teen-age sons
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Ha, Ha, Ha that's a good one, the phrase "easy to install" and headers in the same sentance is pretty funny unless you're talking about installing headers on a rail! DO NOT believe anyone who says installing long tubes on the S197 is easy! The long tubes while easier to install than an equal length short tube header design are still a PITA even with a lift. Pay someone to do your header install, trust me on this!
+1
I did my Shortys myself and they took every bit of 6 hours. Worth the work but if I had to do it all over again I would have paid someone to do them for me .
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006
S197 Member

I paid someone to install my short tube headers, engine mounts(since you have to lift the motor anyway), and x-pipe. It took him and his helper 6 hours with a lift. To me, it was well worth the $450.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page