Axle-backs help? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Axle-backs help?

I'm thinking about giving my axlebacks another try before i run to a shop to get them done, but I dont know why I can't align them. On the instructions it says something about loosening the mid-pipes clamps to adjust for proper alignment. What does this mean? Anyone have any pics of these supposed clamps? Also any ideas on how to get the car high enough to get in there? Car jacks?

Thanks.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006
S197 Member

if your only doing the axlebacks you shouldnt have to loosen the midpipe.but if you need to just jack the front of the car up and put it on jack stands.loosen the clamp that is in between the cats and the axle backs that way youll have some movement in your cat back pipe.also i learned that installing the axlebacks is so much easier if you take off the second to last pipe hanger in the rear of the car.makes putting them on so much simpler.of course that was after i threw tools and had a big hissy fit.good luck,i hope that helps.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

A few of the Axle back systems say in the instructions you may need to loosen the clamp on the midpipe. I needed to do that to get my drivers muffler aligned center.
Its very easy, but if not on a lift might be hard to access. But the clamp is right near the H connection in the pipes, about dead center on the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pipe.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	15879  

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoenr
A few of the Axle back systems say in the instructions you may need to loosen the clamp on the midpipe. I needed to do that to get my drivers muffler aligned center.
Its very easy, but if not on a lift might be hard to access. But the clamp is right near the H connection in the pipes, about dead center on the car.
That what I thought they meant. I was looking right at it. Hm. I don't think I can get my car high enough...I might have to take it to a shop. Damn. I wanted this to be installed by me. Oh well. Thanks for the help.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006

I put an SLP Loudmouth on my 05 GT, I had a little bit of problem with alignment. Basically I just unbolted the brackets, put a couple of stainless washers under them here and there, and they fit pretty close. Of course with the Loudmouth, you can slide them in and out a little bit to adjust them too. Loudmouth's are kinda different than standard mufflers, not much muffle to them.:kooky:

I used a pair of work ramps and just backed the rear tires up on them, then braced the unibody with jack stands just to make sure it didn't fall on me and blocked the tires. Then I have a really big rug I slide under the car. Works pretty good.

The ramps are cheap too, I won mine in a raffle, but I think you can get a pair for $30 -$40. Mine are plastic and rated for 10,000lbs.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006
S197 Member

I put on a set of Flowmasters last year. They were axle backs as well. The whole thing went pretty easy but I did have to play with them a bit to get them aligned. Just take your time and have patience. If you can wrench on your car for even the most minor of repairs/mods you can do this. You will be happier with the results of your work over somebody elses for sure.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006
S197 Member

I actually tweaked the hanger rods on my Mac mufflers and got them lined up. Just work with them or if you're not happy with the results you have to pay.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Got em installed, but the mech said he'd have to take the mufflers off and re-work the hangs and pipes. So instead of paying him for aonther hour of work, i decided to live with it for now. I'll post pics and a clip of my exhaust later in the week in it's own post.

2013 Shelby GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page