Why put S197 Mustang mufflers behind rear axle? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Why put S197 Mustang mufflers behind rear axle?

Does anyone know why Ford put the mufflers behind the axle rather than before it? Seems like older mustangs, with the mufflers before the axle and a nice long tailpipe,have a much better sound.

I haven't been really impressed by any aftermarket mufflers for the S197, and I'm starting to think that it's not really the mufflers, but the location on the car. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006
nghtrnnr

i love the stock sound and placement on the s197...i'm gonna leave it alone.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006
BOSS Member
S197 Member

I wish they woulda put them where the used to go cuz the Bassani exhaust on the older mustangs were much deeper cuz of the longer pipes(that's what nino told me). Oh well, at least they are easier to remove now.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I 1st saw the mufflers out back and thought that it would help the nasty drone inside the cars with certain aftermarket mufflers but guess my thinking was wrong. Mufflers up under the older cars you would think would be worse than them at the back????? with drone.

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemerson
Does anyone know why Ford put the mufflers behind the axle rather than before it? Seems like older mustangs, with the mufflers before the axle and a nice long tailpipe,have a much better sound.

I haven't been really impressed by any aftermarket mufflers for the S197, and I'm starting to think that it's not really the mufflers, but the location on the car. Any thoughts?
The mufflers were moved for safety reasons. The older mustangs still had the Pinto gas tank location behind the axle. Not a good location if you get rear ended!! What they did was swap the gas tank with the mufflers. The gas tank is now in front of the axle where the mufflers were and vice versa.

As for sound, that's a matter of opinion. I think they sound just fine where they are!

2006 RedFire GT Coupe, Premium, Dark Charcoal Leather, Shaker 500, 5-Sp Manual, Active Anti-Theft, IUP, 18" Polished Bullitts, Side Airbags.
Mods: WebElectric Sequentials, OEM Sirius Satellite Radio, OEM Plenum Cover, FRPP GTA Axle Backs, G-TECH PRO RR, C&L Racer CAI / X3 / Brenspeed 91 Tune, Ford Racing 'Bullitt' Strut Brace, Hurst Billet Shifter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006
S197 Member

The S197 has the best stock exhaust note I've heard in a long time
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
I agree, I like the sound of the stock exhaust, but I love the sound of the Flowmasters even more. It does not bother me at all the at the mufflers are behind the axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page