Limited Slip Differentials - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 06GTKING Send a message via Skype™ to 06GTKING
Limited Slip Differentials

Hey, Guys. I am looking into getting an 06 or 07 GT. Do the 05/06 GT's come with an option to add Limited Slip Differentails to them? I seen a couple of people talking about it. Also, can anyone give me a better understanding of what they do? I kind of have a vague understanding.

2006 Mustang GT Coupe Automatic
Mods:
C&L Street Intake, 93 Octane Tune (Brenspeed & BamaTunes), Pypes Longtube Headers, Pypes O/R H-Pipe, Flowmaster Axelbacks, FRPP 4.10's, 20x8.5 inch Godspeed Omega Deep Dish Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
GT comes stock with traction control. It controls wheel slippage by rapidly applying & releasing brake pressure (many times/second) when a wheel loses traction. Not quite the same as the old limited slip rear end or posi-traction but it works ok.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

I decided to get the T-Lok differential for the Dix after a day at the drag, where I found out about what it's like to do a one-wheel burnout! All of the power from the engine was being directed to the right rear wheel. The diff redistributes the horsies to both rear wheels, resulting in firmer/safer launches. It's standard on the GT as per STL's post...and I think a must for anyone who wants to whip their Pony off the line every now and then...

"I may never be famous, but my girls Dixi and Luci sure are."

Dixi Candace: Windveil Blue Stick V6 '05, Steeda CAI w/BBK 70mmTB/hi-flo inlet, XCal2, ASP UP, JBA SS Shorties/Evol, FRPP T-Lok diff, 34/28 mm F/R sway bars, MMR rear LCAs, Monte C. strut bar, Precision 3.73s, Snow H2OCH4O, "Q" grille and tons of Dixi Bling chrome

Luci Elinor: Legend Lime Auto GT '06 Premium, JLT2 CAI, XCal2 Brenspeed 93, BBK 62mmx2 TB, Steeda UPs, Pypes Violators polished, SMR strut tower, A.H. & Stage3 louvers

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Thumbs up

From my understanding with the GT stock traction control does not allow one to do burnouts, is this true? I just want to make sure If I decide to do a burnout, that both wheels will spin. And were you guys saying that LSD comes stock on the GT or were you refering to the traction control option? Thanks for the replies.

Mods:
C&L Street Intake, 93 Octane Tune (Brenspeed & BamaTunes), Pypes Longtube Headers, Pypes O/R H-Pipe, Flowmaster Axelbacks, FRPP 4.10's, 20x8.5 inch Godspeed Omega Deep Dish Wheels
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I 'thought' all GT's had a limited slip stock.

Osiris - '07 Shelby GT500 - Black
under construction
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris
I 'thought' all GT's had a limited slip stock.
"The GT has a limited-slip rear differential where the V-6 does not. Both versions benefit from all-speed traction control, which is standard on the GT and bundled with the antilock brakes option on the V-6 trim level."

http://www.cars.com/go/features/auto...n_Ford_Mustang

"I may never be famous, but my girls Dixi and Luci sure are."

Dixi Candace: Windveil Blue Stick V6 '05, Steeda CAI w/BBK 70mmTB/hi-flo inlet, XCal2, ASP UP, JBA SS Shorties/Evol, FRPP T-Lok diff, 34/28 mm F/R sway bars, MMR rear LCAs, Monte C. strut bar, Precision 3.73s, Snow H2OCH4O, "Q" grille and tons of Dixi Bling chrome

Luci Elinor: Legend Lime Auto GT '06 Premium, JLT2 CAI, XCal2 Brenspeed 93, BBK 62mmx2 TB, Steeda UPs, Pypes Violators polished, SMR strut tower, A.H. & Stage3 louvers
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Talking

Thanks everyone for the replies. Yall have answered my question.

Mods:
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006
Apprentice

Re: Limited Slip Differentials

Just to clarify things...Limited Slip is not to be confused with Traction Control, but people often do confuse them.

As stated earlier by zregime, Traction Control is standard on all of the new Mustangs. The Limited Slip is standard on the GTs and available as an option on the V6 cars in a package.

Even though it is standard and alway on when you start the car, Traction Control can and, IMO, SHOULD, be turned off all of the time (unless you are a 16 year old girl!). Ford's version cuts power to regain traction. Not good for drag launches or attempting a burn out.

Limited Slip allows both wheels to try for traction at the same time and stil allows for differential turning radiuses of the wheels on both sides of the car during turns. IMO, all cars that could see winter conditions should have a limited slip and here is why...

With an open rear, the wheel with the least traction will spin wildly while the other wheel just sits there gathering dust (or snow). You could be stopped with one wheel in a slick spot and be stuck not able to move. With a Limited Slip rear, both wheels will turn and eventually, at least one wheel will grab something, allowing you to pull away. The only benefit to an open rear is a little less parasitic drag on smooth dry pavement.

OK, I'll step down from my soap box now.

2006 Legend Lime Mustang GT/Manual Trans/some mods(tired of updating) 13.257 @ 109.36 on stock 18 fanblades and stock BGFs wth CAI, tune, UDPs
1967 Lime Gold Galaxie 500 XL/390 4bbl/Toploader
1966 Mustang Coupe/bare metal (rebuild in process-slowly)/engine&trans TBD
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

How come the 2006 Ford Mustang brochure states that the limited slip diff is optional on the GT automatic trans cars, but it is really standard equipment?

'06 GT Vert Torch Red/Black top/int, IUP, Polished Bullits, , PioneerInfinityMTX Sound System, Tuneable Induction by DeMolet, SCT2 93 Octane Tune by Brenspeed, Red Calipers, Steeda Ultra Lites, Shifted by Hurst,
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot250
The only benefit to an open rear is a little less parasitic drag on smooth dry pavement.
It's also cheaper, has no clutches to wear, and has less violent break-away when excessive power does cause a break of traction.

I prefer a limited slip too, but an open diff generally feels much more "benign" when pushed past the limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page