SCCA Solo recomendations - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

SCCA Solo recomendations

I'm looking to go to an SCCA Solo event (autocross). Anyone have some tips for setup or whwt I might need? Current mods are JLT cai, underdrive pullies and SCT 93 tune. It looks like I can run Street Touring class but might have to run Street Prepared. I'm going to replace brake pads with some Hawk pads. Do I need more?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

You don't need the pads. With such a short run you will probably be better off on the factory pads. The hawks won't have time to warm up.

BC

You can see the project at Grassroots Motorsports
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006
BOSS Member
4.6L Member

Agree on the pads not being needed...but more important are TIRES, what brand ru using?

Also you can inflate the tires with nitrogen.

Nitrogen doesnt absorb moisture, it wont heat and is less compressible than regular air. You wont beleive the change.

Rob Hernandez, AFM co-Founder.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRaptor
Agree on the pads not being needed...but more important are TIRES, what brand ru using?

Also you can inflate the tires with nitrogen.

Nitrogen doesnt absorb moisture, it wont heat and is less compressible than regular air. You wont beleive the change.
I'm still running on the stock Nitto's. I know a lot of people run higher pressures. Any ideas on that?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Higher tire pressure will give you a stiffer sidewall for cornering. I used to start with a high tire pressure and let air out as I wanted to reduce the stiffness. You may also want to tune the suspension to improve handling. Lowering springs lower the center of gravity, sway bars, adj. shocks, adj. panhard bar & brace. Also, for cornering, tires are going to be very important. Sticky tires with a lot of lateral traction will give a big advantage. If you will use the same tire to Solo on as you drive to work on, I like my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s.

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I ran a solo event when mine was bone stock on my stock pirellis. You wil have way more power than you need, trust me. I was running 50 psi front and rear, which seemed a little high. The car tended to push really hard if you hit a turn with any real speed. My plan for next time was to drop the front's to 45 and run 50 in the rear, hopefully making the front dig in a little more and encourage the rear to step out. mark the outer limit of the sidewalls with shoe polish so you can tell how much the tires are rolling over.

Turn your TCS off. And turn on your a/c. It will take a few HP away, which is good on a very short, very twisty track.

driving advice: pre walk the course at least two more times than you think you need to. Listen to the person who leads the novice walk-through. On your first driving lap, resist the adrenaline and drive it slowly to get a feel for the course. you won't be able to do it, but it's worth a shot. Those cones get confusing when you're sideways.

have a good time. It's a blast. If you really blow a corner, just give up and do a couple donuts. Let's see the civics pull that off.

Oh, and with my mods now, I'd run STX class, I've been told.:kooky:

2005 Satin Silver GT 5spd, IUP, ICAP, bullits, active alarm, lug locks, side a!rbags, shaker 500, XM Roady 2, JLT cold air, Xcal2 w/ SCT 93 oct tune, & custom fab'd ram air duct, BMR Sway Bars, Hurst Competition plus shifter
Custom blackout on hood and trunk with Steeda street wing and Ford Racing hood pins
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

[QUOTE=ultraclyde]I ran a solo event when mine was bone stock on my stock pirellis. You wil have way more power than you need, trust me. I was running 50 psi front and rear, which seemed a little high. The car tended to push really hard if you hit a turn with any real speed. My plan for next time was to drop the front's to 45 and run 50 in the rear, hopefully making the front dig in a little more and encourage the rear to step out. mark the outer limit of the sidewalls with shoe polish so you can tell how much the tires are rolling over.

With street tires you should reduce rear tire pressure if you want to reduce understeer. Reducing front pressure relative to rear will increase understeer.

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Thanks guys. The shoe polish idea sounds great. I have suspension mods on order ( FRPP springs and sway bars, Tokico dampers) but they won't be installed before the event on Saturday. I ran some autocross back in the 80's in a Renault Le Car. Should be a huge difference.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Re: SCCA Solo recomendations

My next step is the frpp sways, so post about the install and your impressions once you get done! I looked at the steeda bars too, but I think the designs are pretty similar and the frpp is way cheaper.

65sohc - so My idea was backwards? why am I not surprised?:smilie

Let me make sure I understand....more pressure in the front tires and less in the rear causes the car to push less? (Pushing or sliding the front tires is understeer, right??)

Thanks!

2005 Satin Silver GT 5spd, IUP, ICAP, bullits, active alarm, lug locks, side a!rbags, shaker 500, XM Roady 2, JLT cold air, Xcal2 w/ SCT 93 oct tune, & custom fab'd ram air duct, BMR Sway Bars, Hurst Competition plus shifter
Custom blackout on hood and trunk with Steeda street wing and Ford Racing hood pins
PONY Member
S197 Member

If you guys want to do really well in autocross, dedicated R compound tires are the way to go. A good set of Hoosiers, or Kuhmo's will make a HUGE difference.

As for the sways, I have a set (FRPP / Eibach), along with the entire FRPP kit and they are absolutely awesome on a road course or Solo course. Some don't like the Multimatic shocks and struts on the road, they say a little too bumpy. I don't mind.

You can see the project at Grassroots Motorsports
PONY Member
S197 Member

BluebyU -
Excellent that you will run a timed course completely stock. That way you have a baseline for comparison as you make modifications. Do you have the patience to make one modification at a time and compare your times? I was amazed when I got a set of R tires which I used as dedicated autocross tires on my Porsche. My time dropped dramatically. If you will use the same tires to solo on as you daily drive on, you can go to the Tire Rack web site and compare tires for dry and wet traction ratings. I have found the Eagle F1s I mentioned earlier to be a good compromise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lt front corner 1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	16114  

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluebyU
I'm looking to go to an SCCA Solo event (autocross). Anyone have some tips for setup or whwt I might need? Current mods are JLT cai, underdrive pullies and SCT 93 tune. It looks like I can run Street Touring class but might have to run Street Prepared. I'm going to replace brake pads with some Hawk pads. Do I need more?
If you're going to do this alot, you might want to check into a different oil pan/oil pickup setup -- someone please feel free to correct me if the factory pan is good enough to keep oil going to the pump during frequent hard cornering and braking.
GT Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraclyde
My next step is the frpp sways, so post about the install and your impressions once you get done! I looked at the steeda bars too, but I think the designs are pretty similar and the frpp is way cheaper.

65sohc - so My idea was backwards? why am I not surprised?:smilie

Let me make sure I understand....more pressure in the front tires and less in the rear causes the car to push less? (Pushing or sliding the front tires is understeer, right??)

Thanks!
Generally with street tires cornering ability increases as you increase pressure, up to a point. So if the front end is pushing, increasing front pressure will reduce this.I haven't autocrossed in years but one fact to keep in mind that was in effect way back when and probably still is now is that if you run race tires you get bumped up to a higher class. Another thing that is critical is suspension alignment, especially front camber. You want as much negative camber as you can get so that as the body rolls the tire maintains contact with the asphalt rather than grinding off the outer edge of the tread. Ideally you would have a simple means of camber adjustment that you could do at the track before the event and then set it back to a street setting afterwards so you don't chew up the inside of the tread during normal driving.

2016 GT350, tech pack, JLT intake, Lund flex tune
PONY Member
S197 Member

I had the alignment checked as part of some bodywork, and instructed them to set it as far to the negative camber as the factory specs allowed. Their measurements said it was slightly negative, and they tried to tweak it a little, but it kept coming back to more or less the same number.

Race tires will move you up, but that's not a real concern for me. I'm in it for fun, so it doesn't matter what class I'm running. What does matter is the cost of additional rims and tires. They'll have to wait a while, but I bet they'll be fun when I get 'em!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page