05/06 Mustang SEMA drift exhibition - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

05/06 Mustang SEMA drift exhibition

Check this out! Little surprise halfway thru...

http://videos.streetfire.net/recentv...23BD507429.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006
S197 Member

Re: 05/06 Mustang SEMA drift exhibition

I believe that video is from a D1 (Japanese drifting circuit) demo held in Las Vegas at the SEMA show. D1 drifting will run in Las Vegas again 14 and 15 July 2006.

There are currently two 2005 Mustang GT's drifting in the American Formula D circuit. The first event this year was held in conjunction with the Long Beach Grand Prix. The Mustangs are drifted by Ken Gushi, http://www.driftlive.com/photos/drif.../_HH5T8460.jpg,
and by Von Gitten, Jr., http://www.driftlive.com/photos/drif.../_HH5T8479.jpg,
The next Formula D event will be held in Atlanta 13 May. If you live near there, go out and support American Muscle vs. Japanese Rice.

There are also drifters driving Dodge and Pontiac cars. Hulk Hogan's son is slated to take over the wheel of a Dodge Viper when he turns 16 this June, and the current driver, Samuel Hubinete, will bring a new Dodge Charger to challenge the Japanese.

I first saw drifting when I lived in Japan 1998 to 2001. My son used to take me to watch street racing. When the police came, we would go over to a big parking lot by a port and watch drifting, then back to the streets when the police got there.

It's an exciting sport, especially when you can see a 600HP Mustang take on a 200HP Toyota AE86!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006
S197 Member

I think drifting is cool, but its not for me. I hear that its the only motor sport that is actually judged. Is this true?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006
S197 Member

You're right, sincitystang. Unlike typical racing where the first across the finish line wins, drifting is judged on several criteria.

Racers run the course solo first, typically to find the top 16 out of the entry field. They are judged on the line they take on the course, how close they bring the vehicle's nose to a "clipping point" at the apex of the turn and the tail to the outside of the turn, how much smoke they make, and how excited they get the crowd.

Some consideration is given to how they initiate the drift. Using the E-brake is weak compared with using oversteer or a clutch kick, where the clutch is depressed and popped to jolt the drivetrain and brake rear wheel traction. Understeer, where the front wheels lose traction and the car slides outward, can lose points. And spinning out is death.

The top 16 drivers then go head to head in tsuiso, or two car battles, where one car leads and the other chases. They make two runs, changing who leads and who chases. Sometimes it's hard to tell who the winner is and the crowd will cheer for "one more time." The winner from each pair moves on to a narrowing field until a single winner is named.

Although true fans of drifting are certain it will be corny, the next Fast and the Furious movie, Tokyo Drift, features stunt driving by some of the Americans who race Formula D, like Tanner Foust, Samuel Hubinete, and Rhys Millen (the son of Rod Millen, the Pike's Peak champ - by the way, Rod Millen drift races too).
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006
S197 Member

Talking about beating the crap out of your car, its worse than drag racing and road racing combined. Plus the cost of a new set of tires each run, you gotta be rich!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

I watched the drifters at Long Beach this year just because of the Mustangs, I'll post pics of them in action when I get home later and have the time............

'06---GT Deluxe 'Casper" IUP, shaker 500, auto, 17" bullitts, white/light graphite

retro '69 351 hood an scoop

"Hello America, you sick twisted freaks"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpdoc
I watched the drifters at Long Beach this year just because of the Mustangs............
I'll go you one better, pumpdoc. I bought my Mustang because of the drifting. Seriously. I got psyched up seeing all those souped-up cars, on the track and in the parking lot, and felt real inadequate leaving Long Beach in my Hyndai Elantra.

My son is working on a Nissan 240SX -> Silvia S13 conversion, and I was tempted to go that route, but those Mustangs really drew my attention. I started scouring the ads as soon as I got home, and bought a 2005 GT Premium 2 weeks later.

There are some good pics from Long Beach here http://media.cars.ign.com/articles/6...04/imgs_1.html.

See you at Irwindale in October, pumpdoc? I'll be driving my Stang this time, and feeling far from inadequate when I drive up amongst all those ricers!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDKay
I'll go you one better, pumpdoc. I bought my Mustang because of the drifting. Seriously. I got psyched up seeing all those souped-up cars, on the track and in the parking lot, and felt real inadequate leaving Long Beach in my Hyndai Elantra.

My son is working on a Nissan 240SX -> Silvia S13 conversion, and I was tempted to go that route, but those Mustangs really drew my attention. I started scouring the ads as soon as I got home, and bought a 2005 GT Premium 2 weeks later.

There are some good pics from Long Beach here http://media.cars.ign.com/articles/6...04/imgs_1.html.

See you at Irwindale in October, pumpdoc? I'll be driving my Stang this time, and feeling far from inadequate when I drive up amongst all those ricers!
Nice pics:thumbsup but you have to admit that the guy in the Viper was having the most fun, we were at turn 10-11 and he would come by all sideways with his arm out whooping and a hollering.....
what's going down at Irwindale?
You should come down to Dalton's in San Marcos on Sun. the 6th..........

'06---GT Deluxe 'Casper" IUP, shaker 500, auto, 17" bullitts, white/light graphite

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
S197 Member

Yeah! That guy in the viper was Sam Hubinette, who won the event.

The final event in the 2006 Formula D circiut is at Irwindale Raceway, on October 14th (I think).

Where and what time is Dalton's? I think I saw somehting about it in the regional forums.

Last Sunday I tried to convince my wife to go to an Arco in Oceanside where Vicious Stangs of Oceanside meets, but she had no interest. Maybe she'll go to San Marcos if I bribe her with dinner, a movie, or a mall.
GT Member
S197 Member

Dalton's Roadhouse, 15 south 78west first exit Nordahl rd. turn right then the first left can't miss it, there will be a bunch of 'Stangs and nice people. It's a free to enter etc. car show $10 will gett you all you can eat ribs, dogs or burgers, plus they have good food inside, try to get there between 10-10:30, pm me if you want my cell # or give me yours:thumbsup

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page