Short Shifter Delight - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Smile Short Shifter Delight

Recently I remember reading a thread about short shifters. Who had what, why they liked or disliked about various ones. After doing some research and reading the messages on here, I decided to go with the Saleen version. I personally like the way the factory shifter knob looks in comparison to other kits. It arrived today. I was surprised when I opened the box and didn't see what I thought I was going to get. Be that as it may, I installed the parts that arrived and felt the need to go for a lil test drive. I love it. No more long hesitation going from 2nd to 3rd. The difference in the force needed to shift is minimal. What used to be a 4 inch shift pattern has been reduced to 2 1/2 inch. I would definitly recommend anyone with a manual to buy a short shifter regardless of what brand or version. For me, it put the sport in sports car.

Colton - 06 GT Redfire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Re: Short Shifter Delight

Thank you for posting this. I have run into others who have also gave great recommendations for the Saleen short throw shifter. I have purchased one myself awhile ago but have not yet installed it (hence look at my threads of "not mechanically inclined").

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
BOSS Member
S197 Member

2 1/2 inches? Could you snap some pics of first gear and then 2nd?

That's unbelievably short. Does it feel any different from stock other than the shorter throw? Just curious cuz I know some people say the aftermarket shifters can be stiff or hard to shift.

Also, the hurst and Steeda short throw are close to 200 bucks. Why is the saleen closer to 50?Am I looking at the wrong parts or something?

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123
2 1/2 inches? Could you snap some pics of first gear and then 2nd?

That's unbelievably short. Does it feel any different from stock other than the shorter throw? Just curious cuz I know some people say the aftermarket shifters can be stiff or hard to shift.

Also, the hurst and Steeda short throw are close to 200 bucks. Why is the saleen closer to 50?Am I looking at the wrong parts or something?
The difference between the other shifters and Saleen is that the others are complete shifter assemblies, whereas the Saleen is an adaptor (costs about $29). Apparetnly it is realitively easy to install, and many people have commented on how nice it is. As I mentioned, I have one (not installed yet), mainly because I wanted a stiffer shifter. the Saleen piece will fit in the palm of your hand.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
The difference between the other shifters and Saleen is that the others are complete shifter assemblies, whereas the Saleen is an adaptor (costs about $29). Apparetnly it is realitively easy to install, and many people have commented on how nice it is. As I mentioned, I have one (not installed yet), mainly because I wanted a stiffer shifter. the Saleen piece will fit in the palm of your hand.
Do you have to disconnect the shifter from the transmissions to install it?

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123
Do you have to disconnect the shifter from the transmissions to install it?
Like I said, I have not installed mine yet. I crawled under the car and had the instructions with me. From what I can tell, you disconnect the linkage between the shifter and tranny and insert the adapter then reconnect the assembly. Someone had menitoned in a previous thread that the instructions were backwards. I am not sure what that means, but most people say it is a 15-20 min install. I just have not found the time or the nerve to installing it yet. I have zero mechanical skill so I am afraid I will do something wrong which in turn will cost me a fortune to repair.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to hawgman Send a message via Yahoo to hawgman

The Saleen short throw shifter adaptor is just that, it is an adaptor. It is not a shifter. It is an extension that bolts to the bottom of the shifter. You remove the shift rod from the bottom of the shifter, then bolt the shift rod to the bottom of the adaptor. What it does is change the actual shifter pivot point. Makes the part below the pivot point longer. That means it takes less travel above the pivot point to accomplish the same distance below the pivot point.
Takes about 10 minutes to install once you get the car up on jack stands. And that is including taking it apart a second time and doing it correctly because the Saleen instructions are so vague.

Yes, it does change the stock shift pattern between 1-2 and 3-4 significantly. Nice little upgrade for the price ( used to be $29, they have raised it to $45 ). It will also make the shifting a little stiffer because of the geometry change involved. What it does NOT do is change the actual feel of the tranny going in to gear, and it does not change the sloppyness of the stock shifter. If you want improvements in those departments then go with an aftermarket shifter such as Pro 5.0 or Steeda. I purposely left Hurst out of that statement because all the Hurst shifter is, is a stock shifter with a shorter throw, and depending on the model, the ability to change shift handles. Lay the Hurst and the stock shifter side by side and you can't tell a difference in them. Wasted money in my opinion.

2005 GT Premium,torch red, all available factory options.
Performance mods: Lets just say it's not stock.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

This IntelliTXT stuff sucks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

I didn't take any pics before I installed, but I did take measurements. Before, the distance from the dash to the front side of the shift knob was 2 1/2 inches in 1st, and 6 1/2 in. 3rd. After installing the adaptor the distance in 1st is 3 1/4 and 5 5/8 in. 3rd. This make the travel path approx 1 1/2 inches shorter. 3/4 in. on each end. Just like Hawg says, this is an adaptor (extension) of the shift lever and NOT a replacement. Like I said before, the extra effort needed to shift is minimal. The shift pattern is still the same, just shorter. I ordered mine from Haney Motorsport. It was easy to install. 1) Remove one nut, and pull out the linkage arm from the tranny to the shifter. 2) the hardest part, pull out plastic washers from shifter and install them into the adaptor. 3) insert linkage into adaptor and put on the nut removed in step one. 4) attach adaptor to shifter w/sleeve and bolt(provided).
All of this could be done with a wrench, but a ratchet makes it go a lot faster. Once the car is raised, there is plenty of room to work if you don't mind a few scratches on your hands. (maybe that was just me) Taking my time so I wouldn't have to do this twice, it took less than 1 hour till the time I was ready to roll.

Colton - 06 GT Redfire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page