Spoiler Removal Help Needed - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Marcus GT Send a message via MSN to Marcus GT
Spoiler Removal Help Needed

I just tried to remove the spoiler off of my 05 GT and I came upon some questions. When I loostened the nuts, the studs actually unthreaded from the spoiler. Is this normal? Also, After removing the studs, I couldn't get the spoiler to come off of the rear deck lid. Is the spoiler held down with double face tape? Is there a seal piece between the spoiler and decklid and will it reseal when I reinstall the spoiler?

I am trying to install my Sirius antenna under the spoiler and want to run the wire into the trunk through the spoiler tower. I am trying to figure out if the antenna will work through the fiberglass (or is it plastic) spoiler.

The other option is to cut into the spoiler and mount the antenna flush with the top surface. Or a shark fin mounted on the spoiler but I cant find an actual working antenna on the internet. There are fake fins everywhere.

I have tried putting the antenna inside the car under the rear window but the window tinting blocks the signal.

Any suggestions???

Thanks for your help.

2005 Mustang GT, Black w/ Dark Charcoal interior
IUP, Active-Anti Theft Alarm
Bright Aluminum Wheels w/Locks
Perma Plate, Window Tinting 35/20/5
Molded Splash Guards, Sequential Tail Lights
SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Front License Plate Delete
DFM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Re: Spoiler Removal Help Needed

I have seen the screws both ways 1. attached to the spoiler, 2. loose from spoiler. So no problem there. You will have to clean the double sided tape off of the spoiler and trunk lid. You will have to replace the double sided tape, and reattach the spoiler. No problems. Hope this helps.

Good Luck:thumbsup

'06 GT Vert Torch Red/Black top/int, IUP, Polished Bullits, , PioneerInfinityMTX Sound System, Tuneable Induction by DeMolet, SCT2 93 Octane Tune by Brenspeed, Red Calipers, Steeda Ultra Lites, Shifted by Hurst,
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I have removed a few spoilers. Some of the studs come out and some dont....dosent matter. they will go back in. I use a long flat razor knife to cut the 2 sided tape. you gotta becarful as not to cut into the paint...just push up on the spoiler as you cut the tape. If you can cut it smooth...no tearin the tape..you can just bolt the spoiler right back on using the same tape...it will still seal up.

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus GT
I just tried to remove the spoiler off of my 05 GT and I came upon some questions. When I loostened the nuts, the studs actually unthreaded from the spoiler. Is this normal? Also, After removing the studs, I couldn't get the spoiler to come off of the rear deck lid. Is the spoiler held down with double face tape? Is there a seal piece between the spoiler and decklid and will it reseal when I reinstall the spoiler?

I am trying to install my Sirius antenna under the spoiler and want to run the wire into the trunk through the spoiler tower. I am trying to figure out if the antenna will work through the fiberglass (or is it plastic) spoiler.

The other option is to cut into the spoiler and mount the antenna flush with the top surface. Or a shark fin mounted on the spoiler but I cant find an actual working antenna on the internet. There are fake fins everywhere.

I have tried putting the antenna inside the car under the rear window but the window tinting blocks the signal.

Any suggestions???

Thanks for your help.
Using a razor is pretty risky, you can also cut the double sided tape by first putting some black electrical tape on the trunk lid around the spoiler pillars to protect the trunk lid paint. Then instead or a razor, you can us a strong piece of string like uphostry heavy duty or like a guitar string and use it like a cable saw. clean off any remaining tape glue with rubbing alchole to soften and clean. This should do the trick. Just make sure that you purchase NEW double sided tape to replace the ones you removed, else you most likely end up getting water into the trunk that will settle in the spare tire well which is hard to notice.

To few to mention, actually to lazy to
01 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Silver (His Daily)
05 Mustang V6 Coupe, 5 sp - Redfire (Her Toy)
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Next question is what is it made of? Plastic or fiberglass? Is it soild or hollow. I would like to cut a hole in it, put the Sirius antenna in it and fiberglass over it to make it smooth and unnoticeable. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

DFM
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to hawgman Send a message via Yahoo to hawgman
I used fishing line when I removed my factory spoiler to install the Roush spoiler.

Your Sirius antenna doesn't work in the rear window because of the window tint?? How dark of tint do you have on that thing? I have my Sirius antenna and my GPS antenna both in the rear deck and have no issues what so ever.

2005 GT Premium,torch red, all available factory options.
Performance mods: Lets just say it's not stock.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

This IntelliTXT stuff sucks.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
I am about to remove my factory spoiler in order to install a Shelby look-alike duck tail that utilizes the factory holes and hardware. So the factory spoiler is attached using both screws (4 if I am not mistaken) and double sided tape? When replacing the tape (which I assume I will need for the new duck tail) is there a particular brand or type of double-sided tape to use? The double sided tape should cover all parts of the spoiler that touch the car, correct?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Hawgman, it's "limo" dark. 5 I believe is the number. The Sirius Antenna doesnt work there and is now leaving scratches in the paint under it. I guess I could try it under the front window.

DFM
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

A razor is risky....but I use them quite often in my line of work but yeah the fishing line is much safer.

mrvandermey..... I also purchased the Shelby spoiler from Gene Evans Ford in Ga. Should be here Friday. Sam is the parts man there...HE told me the spoiler comes with the mounting hardware so Im thinkin it will have new 2 sided tape with it If not your local auto store will have the tape just make sure you get 3M brand and its gray in color...they make it in black but gray is the ticket

Marcus GT ...the factory spoilers are fiberglass and are hollow bud.

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Thanks Mick! :thumbsup

DFM

Still Unsure of Removal/ reattaching of the rear spoiler for 02 GT

I am trying to find out how the fastening screws fit together when attaching the rear spoiler to the trunk. I didn't plan on this, but I have to put my rear spoiler back in place-- after popping it off (3 of the 4 screws were jarred free from the spoiler) when I accidentally caught the spoiler on the garage door while backing up in to the stall. Three of the four fastening screws were disconnected from the spoiler, leaving it held on by just one of the remaining fasteners-- which I manually disconnected.
Although the look is not too different without it-- actually looks pretty cool-- I would like to put it back in its place asap, especially before it rains.
So, here are my questions: Is it possible to re-use the same fasteners, or is it necessary to get new ones? And how does this type of fastener fit together? I tried fitting them into the spoiler first, but was unable to-- maybe due to prior use and some damage to the spoiler where the fasteners should be connected. Then I was going to just re-attach the spoiler to the trunk, but it wasn't that easy. If anyone could provide me with step-by-step instructions (and maybe some pics) explaining the best way to re-attach a rear spoiler-- including how the fasteners fit together-- I would greatly appreciate it.
Any advice would be helpful and might prevent a trip to the shop to have a "professional" take look at it.
Thanks for your time,
Philly Jax
02 GT Coupe-- Laser Red Metallic
(minus stock rear spoiler)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page