Share those D'oh! Moments! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Talking Share those D'oh! Moments!

As careful as we are with our new Mustang babies, sometimes our minds go on vacation and we do something dumb that we wouldn't want to bring up at the next family reunion. But we can share those moments here in relative anonymity. Since this is my thread, I will start. Who can top me?

Last week, I arrived home in the evening and parked the Mustang in the driveway, in front of my attached garage. The garage doors were locked, and since I just moved in I have not changed the lock so I can not unlock it from the outside. So I leave the car running, and go inside and make my way to go to the garage to move the Mustang. On my way to do that, I notice my wife is home from her week long business trip from London. So we start talking, and she gives me the wink and says let's go to the bedroom before the teenage kids get home for dinner. Of course I jumped at that, and forgot all about the Mustang running in the driveway. So then we have dinner, watch some TV, and we go to sleep. The next morning my kids get up for school(pretty early 5:30am), and I am woken up by my son yelling, "The Mustang is running in the driveway!". Turns out the car was idling all night long, for about 8 hours! D'oh! Double D'oh! I wonder how much wear that's gonna have on the engine? Lucky for me I live in a small town, so the car was still there the next morning. I still can't believe I did this, and now you all know!

08 Roush 427R GT Torch Red Premium
Painted Side Mirror Covers
100% Roush synthetic oil
06 V6 Vert Premium w/Pony Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
S197 Member

Re: Share those D'oh! Moments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplaydat
As careful as we are with our new Mustang babies, sometimes our minds go on vacation and we do something dumb that we wouldn't want to bring up at the next family reunion. But we can share those moments here in relative anonymity. Since this is my thread, I will start. Who can top me?

Last week, I arrived home in the evening and parked the Mustang in the driveway, in front of my attached garage. The garage doors were locked, and since I just moved in I have not changed the lock so I can not unlock it from the outside. So I leave the car running, and go inside and make my way to go to the garage to move the Mustang. On my way to do that, I notice my wife is home from her week long business trip from London. So we start talking, and she gives me the wink and says let's go to the bedroom before the teenage kids get home for dinner. Of course I jumped at that, and forgot all about the Mustang running in the driveway. So then we have dinner, watch some TV, and we go to sleep. The next morning my kids get up for school(pretty early 5:30am), and I am woken up by my son yelling, "The Mustang is running in the driveway!". Turns out the car was idling all night long, for about 8 hours! D'oh! Double D'oh! I wonder how much wear that's gonna have on the engine? Lucky for me I live in a small town, so the car was still there the next morning. I still can't believe I did this, and now you all know!
Man, (long dramatic pause) That is, I mean, that is, WOW! Holy Crap dude. I think the only thing that comes close is parking your Mustang on a sandy beach . There just isn't enough expletives. The almighty himself is looking down upon you right now. Go out immediately and buy some lottery tickets. I'm not comparing you to the guy who parked is car on the beach don't get me wrong. You had a very valid reason. Your mind became clouded with thoughts of nookie. I personally don't blame you.

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Re: Share those D'oh! Moments!

I have to admit my friend, WOW does not quite cover it. You see my priorities are completely out of whack, for I do not believe there is a woman (nookie or not) that would make me forget about my Stang. I love women, but I love cars even more. But, I agree, go out and buy a lottery ticket or two, and when you win big, please share with the rest of us. Why you are at it, care to sprinkle some of that luck our way?

That being said, my turn for the story. I bought my car with the 20" wheels on it from the dealer. I had the car for maybe two weeks when I pulled up to a stop light for a left turn. I saw the island out of the corner of my eye. I noticed that the curb dropped away, like a driveway. But what I did not notice is that it went right back up a few feet away. Needless to say, when the light turned green, I turned the wheel left, stepped on the gas and SMACK!!! right into the curb. YES, I severely gouged the left front wheel, so bad that I had to replace the wheel. Yes, I did go stand in the corner for 20 minutes after that boneheaded boo-boo.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Wow after that first post...um wow. I don't even feel like mine was a "D'oh" moment after reading that.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
PONY Member
4.6L Member

I'm sorry but neither one of those stories has got nothing on what I managed to do.

Mowing the grass and needed to blow the clippings out from underneath my 05 Ranger STX. So I stick my right foot in the door onto the clutch and started it up. The truck was in 1st gear and started forward. When I realized I was going forward into the Mustang I panicked and let the clutch out on the truck which just made things worse and I hit the Mustang even harder than if I had just gone ahead and let the truck roll into it. At any rate I damaged the rear bumper cover on the stang. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. Let the car sit for a couple of weeks and decided to go ahead and get the Xenon body kit. While the kit was being installed I decided to get the FRPP lowering kit at the same time. While that was happening I decided the "mini van" wheels had to go, so ordered new wheels, tires. What the hell may as well change out the exhaust while I'm at it and install hood pins, paint the mirrors. I figure me running into the stang with my own truck cost around $10,000.

2010 Roush Stage 1, Kona Blue
2011 Camaro SS Convertible, Red Jewel
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
You see my priorities are completely out of whack, for I do not believe there is a woman (nookie or not) that would make me forget about my Stang. I love women, but I love cars even more.
I guess we are both out of wack - there is a reason my Mustang is in the spot in the garage that is directly under our bed upstairs!!!

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2012 Shelby GT500, Black on black
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj
I'm sorry but neither one of those stories has got nothing on what I managed to do.

Mowing the grass and needed to blow the clippings out from underneath my 05 Ranger STX. So I stick my right foot in the door onto the clutch and started it up. The truck was in 1st gear and started forward. When I realized I was going forward into the Mustang I panicked and let the clutch out on the truck which just made things worse and I hit the Mustang even harder than if I had just gone ahead and let the truck roll into it. At any rate I damaged the rear bumper cover on the stang. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. Let the car sit for a couple of weeks and decided to go ahead and get the Xenon body kit. While the kit was being installed I decided to get the FRPP lowering kit at the same time. While that was happening I decided the "mini van" wheels had to go, so ordered new wheels, tires. What the hell may as well change out the exhaust while I'm at it and install hood pins, paint the mirrors. I figure me running into the stang with my own truck cost around $10,000.
Dude that is a really good one! And good for you for turning your lemons into lemonade with all the new mods. Oh, that gives me an idea - maybe if I had let my Mustang run a bit longer, I would have to get a new engine, like kjcinci is doing....

08 Roush 427R GT Torch Red Premium
Painted Side Mirror Covers
100% Roush synthetic oil
06 V6 Vert Premium w/Pony Package
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

Ok here we go. I remembered a valuable lesson last week. Brake cleaner and exterior plastic does not get along very well. It turns a nice shade of white... oh well needed an excuse to paint those tail lights anyway.

However it does a great job of cleaning the wax and stuff off to put the blackout panel on. Yea I know...
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

Not a recent moment but a moment none the less............

Back in the day('74) I had a '69 Mustang and had the front on stands as I changed the shocks, after I was done I placed the 2-1/2 ton jack under it to remove the stands.
After removing the stands I got my left leg with my knee up just under the bumper as I slowly released the jack I felt pressure on my knee/leg and realized that the whole front end of that car was being held up by my now bent like a crecsent moon tibia, thank god it was a good jack as I only had to turn the handle a 1/2 turn and 3-4 pumps later the car was off my knee

'06---GT Deluxe 'Casper" IUP, shaker 500, auto, 17" bullitts, white/light graphite

retro '69 351 hood an scoop

"Hello America, you sick twisted freaks"
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Small thing compared to previous posts, but...

Hagerstown, MD. Running behind schedule to pick up daughter from WVU last fall. Zoom into a petrol station, all psyched for one of those NASCAR twenty second pit stops, yeah, that'll be cool, swipe the card, gorge the tank and I'M OUT. Yeah, baby...WHAP!

I'd pulled up right next to one of those cylinder-shaped concrete whatevers that protect the gas pumps and opened the car door smack dab into it.

SCHEISE!!

Bought the touch-up paint kit and did my best, but it's still very noticeable, at least to my eyes.

My new gas station mantra is "slow the eff down, Kelly, slow the eff down"...:handball:

"I may never be famous, but my girls Dixi and Luci sure are."

Dixi Candace: Windveil Blue Stick V6 '05, Steeda CAI w/BBK 70mmTB/hi-flo inlet, XCal2, ASP UP, JBA SS Shorties/Evol, FRPP T-Lok diff, 34/28 mm F/R sway bars, MMR rear LCAs, Monte C. strut bar, Precision 3.73s, Snow H2OCH4O, "Q" grille and tons of Dixi Bling chrome

Luci Elinor: Legend Lime Auto GT '06 Premium, JLT2 CAI, XCal2 Brenspeed 93, BBK 62mmx2 TB, Steeda UPs, Pypes Violators polished, SMR strut tower, A.H. & Stage3 louvers
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zregime
Small thing compared to previous posts, but...
Nope, that's a good one

'06---GT Deluxe 'Casper" IUP, shaker 500, auto, 17" bullitts, white/light graphite

retro '69 351 hood an scoop

"Hello America, you sick twisted freaks"
PONY Member
S197 Member

HEY WOODJ...you sure you didn't do that on purpose..sounds like you had those mods all planned out to me!..i won't tell your wife!..hmmmm..i think i'll go outside now and fire up the ram..lets see shelby stripes, ducktail spoiler...........

06 GT PREMIUM Manual, 18's, Hurst billet, Webelectric sequentials, painted 10" stripes, Cervini KR500 hood w/functional ram air kit, K&N air filter, Cervini side exhaust, chin spoiler, hood struts, rear ducktail, quarter panel scoops, and quarter window scoops, Midweat Auto Gear strut tower covers, 1/2 mirror covers, and fuel rail covers. Pioneer touch screeen head unit w/blue tooth, dvd & sirius.Also haves: 1969 Lemans & 1968 Firebird.
Rookie

Well, several week back, while going to Federal Way in the Mustang, I managed to do a complete 360 on 405 Southbound just as I was merging from 520 Westbound.

The two right lanes of 405 were congested with the people that were in front of me on the ramp and some traffic that was already there. The two left lanes were wide open. I looked over my shoulder and there was no traffic comming from behind for a good 1/4 mile.

What do I do? I nail the gas, and shoot over 3 lanes. When I shift to third, the back end starts sliding out. I think to myself no problem, traction control will kick in and the engine power out will be reduced... I stayed on the gas... Only problem is, I turned off the traction control earlier and forgot.

Next thing I know, I'm doing a 360 on the freeway. As I'm spinning around, I'm watching the concrete barriers flash by... then I'm facing the wrong direction on 405... then I see the cars that I had passed pass me on the left. Finally, I come to a stop in the 3rd lane, the engine had stalled. I fire it up and take off checking my rearview mirror. Traffic was comming up behind me rapidly... Six seconds later I'm back up to 60 mph like nothing ever happend.

I'm sure everyone around me was impressed (not). Ever hear the term sewing machine legs? It's where your legs are shaking uncontrollably. Yeah that was me.

samckernan

Seattle, WA
05 Mustang GT, Black on Black
Chrome Cobra knock-off Wheels
Flowmaster American Thunder

My other car:

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=4985C2C5-2F76-4960-AF51-84F3C1AF36D4

That was one pretty funny. lol

Does traction control work pretty good on the new stangs?
PONY Member
S197 Member

Oh man, mine was only a 180 and fortunately with no witnesses. Hit some sand on a turn with the TCS off and it went out on me - was heading right for the opposite curb when I decided better to spin a bit then nail the curb, so I just turned into it and came to a stop in the middle of the road - facing the wrong way of course.

Then quietly coasted away...
:tongue
Quote:
Originally Posted by samckernan
Well, several week back, while going to Federal Way in the Mustang, I managed to do a complete 360 on 405 Southbound just as I was merging from 520 Westbound.

The two right lanes of 405 were congested with the people that were in front of me on the ramp and some traffic that was already there. The two left lanes were wide open. I looked over my shoulder and there was no traffic comming from behind for a good 1/4 mile.

What do I do? I nail the gas, and shoot over 3 lanes. When I shift to third, the back end starts sliding out. I think to myself no problem, traction control will kick in and the engine power out will be reduced... I stayed on the gas... Only problem is, I turned off the traction control earlier and forgot.

Next thing I know, I'm doing a 360 on the freeway. As I'm spinning around, I'm watching the concrete barriers flash by... then I'm facing the wrong direction on 405... then I see the cars that I had passed pass me on the left. Finally, I come to a stop in the 3rd lane, the engine had stalled. I fire it up and take off checking my rearview mirror. Traffic was comming up behind me rapidly... Six seconds later I'm back up to 60 mph like nothing ever happend.

I'm sure everyone around me was impressed (not). Ever hear the term sewing machine legs? It's where your legs are shaking uncontrollably. Yeah that was me.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2012 Shelby GT500, Black on black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page