Powder Coated Valve Covers - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Question Powder Coated Valve Covers

I am interested in having my valve covers powder coated. Yes, I remember a thread here some time ago regarding some guy who does them. Something to the effect of you send him your valve covers in exchange for the ones he powder coats for you so the down time of your Stang is minimal. However, first,I tried that route, the guy never got back to me, let alone how far down the list I would have been. Next my car is not a daily driver so down time is not that important to me. So my question is, what is an approximate cost to have someone powder coat my valve covers? What kind of shop does this kind of work, a body shop, a machine shop or what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
V6 Member
S197 Member

Re: Powder Coated Valve Covers

Look up "Powder Coating" in your local phone book, or on Yahoo yellow pages, or something like that. I was looking at have a set of wheels powder coated gloss black and the shop I called said $50 per wheel if there wasn't any extra work. Anyway... they would be listed in you yellow pages...

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Theres a thread over at the mustang source, maybe thats what you're thinking of.
If down time isnt an issue, then your place in the list doesnt matter. Just send him yours to do and wait to get them back.

Mine are getting done next week when Im in Florida!
My cousin has a media blasting shop and said around 35 bucks or so.
He did mention to me about maybe getting something going doing this for members, but I dont think I want to get involved. If something wasnt right, I would feel at fault.

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoenr
WOW, that sounds like a deal. After checking the yellow pages in several cities around me, I found a place or two, but they want a minimum of $75 and they say it can be done in a couple of days. Are the valve covers difficult to take off or require any special tools to do so?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

[quote name='Hatchman' date='August 21, 2005, 12:00 PM' post='483099']
In case anyone was wondering about time and tools to swap them out. I used a little 1/4" socket wrench, an extension, a 7mm(ignition coils), 8mm(cover bolts), and 10mm(air box hold-down bolt) sockets, and a screw driver. I also laid some towels over the fender to protect it from scratching.
First of all, I loosened up all the cam cover bolts, about a dozen on each side. Then I loosened up the 4 bolts holding on the ignition to the cam covers. Had to pop off all the vacuum lines and a couple of electrical connections. Then move all the ignition and other wires out of the way. On the driver's side, I had to remove the intake. Some people removed the battery tray, but I found this unnecessary.
The cam covers came right off, slid forward, up, and out of there. The thick rubber gasket is pretty tough, and reusable. No gasket sealer used by Ford or needed.
I ended up taking the oil neck off of my right side cam cover. The stock oil cap snaps right into its place, same thread pattern, and I think it looks better, though harder to fill without it, but I have several funnels. If you want it off, just let me know, it pops right off, though it's a little difficult.
Took me about 3 hours to swap mine out, but I'm really slow, and take my time, and clean stuff as I go. I'm sure the more mechanically inclined with an electric screwdriver with a socket attatchment could possibly swap them out in 30 minutes. Even less if you have a buddy helping. It's pretty easy though, if you can take out thirty bolts and put them back in, you can do this. Just be careful not to cross thread the bolts putting them back in, and I recommend putting in the bolts on the ends in first.
Hope this helps.[/quote]
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....ic=28374&st=40

It sounds really easy

Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006
S197 Member

You might want to keep an eye out for leaks near the front. There actually is a little bit of sealer used where the front engine cover meets the block. I scraped the old off of my block with a razor blade and put a new dab in that spot.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007

Powder Coating Part Exchange

I do a Powder Coating Part Exchange aslo.

Part Exchange Service
To keep your car up and running while having your parts powder coated we offer a core exchange program on popular selling products.
You Pay an additional core charge at time of purchase, we send you the item in the color of your choice. You then send us your part, in good condition at which time we will refund your core charge. If you would like to take advantage of this service, please inquire on the availability of your part prior to powder service purchace.

Southern Custom Coatings.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007 Thread Starter
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67stanger View Post
I do a Powder Coating Part Exchange aslo.

Part Exchange Service
To keep your car up and running while having your parts powder coated we offer a core exchange program on popular selling products.
You Pay an additional core charge at time of purchase, we send you the item in the color of your choice. You then send us your part, in good condition at which time we will refund your core charge. If you would like to take advantage of this service, please inquire on the availability of your part prior to powder service purchace.

Southern Custom Coatings.com
My valve covers have since been powdercoated. Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind, for my brother wants his valve covers powder coated too (he has a F-150 w/5.4, same valve covers as the S197s 4.6)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007
Apprentice

You should get a group buy going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoenr View Post
Theres a thread over at the mustang source, maybe thats what you're thinking of.
If down time isnt an issue, then your place in the list doesnt matter. Just send him yours to do and wait to get them back.

He did mention to me about maybe getting something going doing this for members, but I dont think I want to get involved. If something wasnt right, I would feel at fault.

Power House Turbo, SCT-X-Cal2, Diablo MAFia, CDC Shaker, CDC Aggressive Front Chin, 3DCarbon Grill, CHE UCA, LCA, Kmember Brace, SPEC 3+ LPP option, AEM Wide band and Electronic Boost Controler, SOS Piller Pod.

523RWHP 563RWTQ DynoTune by [email protected]
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Holy old thread, lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page