What gear oil should I use in my limited slip?<acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym>.? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006 Thread Starter

What gear oil should I use in my limited slip?Trans.?

I am going to change diff. and trans.lubes at 3000 miles on my '06 man. trans.Mustang GT.I want to get rid of as much break-in micro metal as possible.Much of the wear takes place in the first few thousand miles.I have never had a Ford limited slip.I was wondering what the veteran Ford guys recommend,Amsoil and their additive,or the factory lube? I usually use synthetics for all lubes---- Also--I have known guys to have syncro issues when changing to synthetics with additives or just different lubes in manual trans.in general. Any ideas on what to run in the tremec,or should I just use the factory recommended Mercon?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006
S197 Member

As long as the synthetic meets the API specifications, it will be fine. The issue with synchros in some transmissions comes from people using synthetics that don't match the API specification and cause corrosion issues with the metals used in the synchros.

So just make sure that the API specification is correct and as long as you add the correct friction modifier into the differential, you'll be fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page