Decision between 03 Cobra and 07 GT - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools

That is a tough decision. I say test drive both and see which you like more.
If you are more than 6ft tall, you will be more comfortable in the new GT. I came so close to getting a Mach 1 in 03, but just couldn't push myself to get a car I don't really fit into. I was driving an hour each way to work and being comfortable was a priority.
The new GT will handle better, but a Cobra is still a Cobra, and a Terminator no less. Either way, Congrats.
If you get the cobra, I just hope it was hammered too bad by the last owner. (Or a flood car from NOLA) I had a buddy you got a Cobra stang (non-terminator) used and was having problems with the pass door window operations and fitment. When I went to fix it, the door was Blue on his red car and it was quite obvious the car had been t-boned. In other words, check the Cobra over real good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

S197 Member

My vote goes to the new 07 GT.

There's nothing like the feeling of getting a brand new car and breaking it in yourself. Oh that new car smell . And the new GT's are such a nice place to be compared to the the 03/04 Cobra, the fit and finish on older mustangs was terrible and the interior is dismal. Yea the Cobra is badass as far as power and it can be modded quite easily. But the new GT's arent exactly pushovers either and there is a massive aftermarket for them too.

Because of style, interior, handling, and just the fact that it's a new car I vote new GT (well I am slightly biased lol). Either way.. post pics when you get it.

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Yeah the interior and front end of the new GT sold me. It was such an improvement.

And now I'm just starting to get into the Mod market. I think it will keep me going for decades.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500

Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Marcus GT Send a message via MSN to Marcus GT
I was in the same situation over a year ago. '03 Cobra or '05 GT. I am so happy I got the '05. Yes the Cobra is faster but the speed limit is what cops look at. I dont mind if it takes me 1 second longer to get to 60 because I am driving MY car and not someone elses. The styling, ammenities and design of the '05/'06/'07 is better in my book. Every time I see a Cobra, I smile because I am driving Marcus.

2005 Mustang GT, Black w/ Dark Charcoal interior
IUP, Active-Anti Theft Alarm
Bright Aluminum Wheels w/Locks
Perma Plate, Window Tinting 35/20/5
Molded Splash Guards, Sequential Tail Lights
SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Front License Plate Delete
DFM
S197 Member

You can get the same performance from a modded 06 but you don't get the IRS. The stopper for me is the molded interior on the Cobras.
S197 Member

For me it depends on what your going after, out of the box quick performance, or new styling and more comfort with decent power. You can always mod you S197 later. Its the old body style and droping that much money on it is something I wouldnt do. If you really want the cobra and want to buy a car that will beat almost anything go for it! The S197 will turn more heads! for sure
S197 Member

Talking to Cobra owners in the club, most think their cars will devalue drastically with the release of the new Shelby and are considering unloading them before that happens. If you decide on the Cobra you might want to wait until after the release to see if that does have an affect on the asking prices.
S197 Member

I see the 03-04 cobras in the low 20s already in decent shape with even low miles. The new GT500 will definatly lower the resale of the 03-04 cars. I think when they get into the mid teens, it would be a steal to buy one.

I like how all the old model forumers came in just for this one topic.

It boils down to this.

If you want performance, go with the cobra.

If you want a damn sexy car, go for the 07.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan06
Im currently in the market fora mustang and am stuck in my decision.. There are a few 03-04 corbas in my area for sale but i have wanted to get the 05 body style mustang since i saw the concept sooo long ago. But i found an 03 cobra with 2,500 miles on it.. if you had the choice and both cars cost the same which would you go for?
IMHO go for a new or even used 05/06 GT . Nicest looking muscle car in over 30 years . Built on a substantially Better/Stronger/More Luxurious Platform/Chassis/Suspension/Brakes etc... I've had a fox body. It's not even close. Forget the extra 90 HP in the Cobra. You will LOVE the new Stang GT with 300HP & plenty of room to boost the power.

Sit in Both , observe the view in & out . You will be convinced.

http://www.stangbangers.com/05_MustangGT_Pic01.jpg

http://www.stangbangers.com/05_Musta...erior_Pic3.jpg

http://www.stangbangers.com/05_Musta...erior_Pic2.jpg

http://www.stangbangers.com/05_Musta...erior_Pic1.jpg

http://www.stangbangers.com/05_RoushMustang_Pic2.jpg

http://images.autobytel.com/view/aic...rrpass75_x.jpg

http://www.canadiandriver.com/photos...rd_gt500_1.jpg

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/upl...ng_chassis.jpg

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/upl..._axel_rear.jpg

http://www.motorsportscenter.com/upl...tang_8_eng.jpg

Enough pics ?

White GT500 Vert / Blue Stripes- I'm waiting.....
S197 Member

Yeah, you can always mod your S197 later and make it faster if you like. You cant make the 03-04 cobra look better than an S197 for any amount of money.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Get the 07. Less body flex, more head room, better driving. (Of course, I am stronly biased)

2007 Mustang GT
Windveil Blue
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
An observation: Those without the S197 say Cobra; those with the S197 say to get an S197.

... my 2 cents

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxed'05 GT
An observation: Those without the S197 say Cobra; those with the S197 say to get an S197.

... my 2 cents
Well, to further your comment. A lot of S197 owners are previous mustang owners. So might that suggest the drivability and feel of the new mustang was improved? I had an '01 which is pretty much the same as an '03/04. There was no comparison to the feel of how a S197 drove compared to the previous years.

The cobra is faster, but stock for stock, I think it only inches it out. Books numbers? 0-60 in 4.7. Ours goes 5.1. A few small boltons on an S197 will put you close to a Cobra 0-60.

Although, gotta give props to Cobra's 1/4 times. You'd need some juice or a forced induction to keep up there.

I guess bottomline, what do you wanna get out of it? Daily driver or Weekend warrior at the track?

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
PONY Member
S197 Member

Personally I'd go with the 07 GT. Although the 03 Cobra with only 2,500 miles..........hmmmmmmm........shouldn't of been beat up 2 bad.......less than 1000 miles a year.

In my opinion the 07 is a much better looking car, but you have to go wiyh what YOU want. Good luck!

Peace....The MadMan :smoke:
Current: 2008 Tjaarda 350T
K&N CAI - Eibach Springs|Baer 14 Zinc Coated, Slotted & Drilled Rotors|6-Piston Front Calipers|GT Legends with Nitto NT-555 255/35ZR20 Front and 275/35ZR20 Rear|Custom side exhaust|Molded Front Fascia|Hood|Carbon Fiber Rocker Panels|Lower Side Scoops|Rear Fascia|4 Ion Crystal Fog Lamps|2.5 PIAA Extreme White Driving Lights
Sold: 2006 Premium Tung Grey GT - 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page