Shelby GT500 after-thoughts - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Shelby GT500 after-thoughts

This is by no means hating on the GT500, just some thoughts, because 2 years ago I graduated college and finally started making some coin. I always wanted an SVT, but could never afford it. The '05 came out and it was to sweet to pass up(not even a whisper from SVT at that moment of what they might do...I'm not into buying used cars so thats why I passed up a used '04 Cobra). I'm just a little sore that it wasn't more affordable, cuz I'd really love one.

I was just thinking. Following suit after the hotness that were "The Terminator mustangs", does anyone think Ford should have used the 4.6L motor with forged internals?

I mean granted we wouldnt have 500 hp, but I bet the car would have cost no more than 35k/36k.

..just wondering if any1 else wishes they woulda gone down a different road with the Shelby?

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006

Yeah, I wish we had a forged internal motor. I guess the thing to consider is that maybe 95% (or more) mustang GT owners have no idea what forged even means. I think most people wouldn't notice or care. Ford knows this and has to play to the masses. They went with cheaper parts to keep the sticker price on the GT low. They certainly have the ability to make a 'bullet proof' race type motor, but the cost would add to the sticker...and the non-performance oriented masses would buy something cheaper. I guess we can always hope.

T

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Hmm, should this have gone in 2005+ Talk? Oh well. Anyways...

Yeah Forged woulda been nice, but for their intentions like you said to keep sticker low, cuz lots will never supercharger or go turbo on these babies.

I woulda paid an extra 2k for the internals...now I might just wait until the time comes when my motor goes, then I'd get a new 4.6 with the forged internals so I can grab a KB. I know they say it's safe with a conservative boost/tune, but I wanna be really safe since this is my daily driver.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006
S197 Member

From what I've seen so far from everyone. I'd have to say I like the FOOSE Mustang that will be available sometime soon

462 Ponies
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Don't like the grill, fog's, louvers, or hood decal...other than that I'd buy one in black.

2013 Shelby GT500
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisee
From what I've seen so far from everyone. I'd have to say I like the FOOSE Mustang that will be available sometime soon

462 Ponies
Man that is one ugly car............

'06---GT Deluxe 'Casper" IUP, shaker 500, auto, 17" bullitts, white/light graphite

retro '69 351 hood an scoop

"Hello America, you sick twisted freaks"
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006
S197 Member

I agree Doc. You expect much better from Foose. I guess he had to tone it down for production reasons.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006
S197 Member

Did they modify the internals on that Foose car with forged parts? If not it's gonna go boom! Also, is the Foose care being sold via Ford as some sort of special edition, I'm curious because if it was then it should come with the factory warranty.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastyone
Did they modify the internals on that Foose car with forged parts? If not it's gonna go boom! Also, is the Foose care being sold via Ford as some sort of special edition, I'm curious because if it was then it should come with the factory warranty.
Ford wouldn't give a warranty if it didnt have forged internals. I don't think there would be enough reliability for Ford to make a profit.

2013 Shelby GT500
PONY Member
S197 Member

I agree 2scoops the new GT 500 schould be priced around 38k, then it would be a decent value. I just isnt that much different than a new GT. $$15000 more?? Plus dealer markup?? no way

'06 GT Vert Torch Red/Black top/int, IUP, Polished Bullits, , PioneerInfinityMTX Sound System, Tuneable Induction by DeMolet, SCT2 93 Octane Tune by Brenspeed, Red Calipers, Steeda Ultra Lites, Shifted by Hurst,
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpdoc
Man that is one ugly car............
What about it do you think is ugly?
S197 Member

I was smiling when I saw the first shots of the 500 but then once reality sunk in (price) I was kinda scratching my head and wondering why.....
GT Member
S197 Member

as cool as it is (and it is cool) i just cant justify the 45k to 50K to purchase it. i also believe that for half of the amount you pay for the shelby over the GT that you can get your lighter all aluminum 3v to outrun the shelby. that iron block and s/c is pretty heavy.... at any rate, you've got at least 15K youve saved toput towards the effort....

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006 Thread Starter
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNOS
as cool as it is (and it is cool) i just cant justify the 45k to 50K to purchase it. i also believe that for half of the amount you pay for the shelby over the GT that you can get your lighter all aluminum 3v to outrun the shelby. that iron block and s/c is pretty heavy.... at any rate, you've got at least 15K youve saved toput towards the effort....
What do you mean lighter aluminum 3v? You mean buying an aluminum 5.4 L and suprcharger? OR our stock aluminum 4.6L with a supercharger?

2013 Shelby GT500
V6 Member
S197 Member

the new GT500 has an iron block.but the heads are aluminum. theyre BASED on the Ford GT heads but not the actual same heads. kinda sucks tho.but at least you know they put in the think time for the airflow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page