Flush mounted louvers? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

I do not think the pictures on the website do them justice. I have the louvers mounted on the glass and I always thought they took a little off the smooth lines.
With the right paint job, air brushed, these may be what I was hoping the CDC louvers would be.

I am willing to fork over 110 bucks to see if they work. I think the paint job will cost more than the product. However, I know a great artist here in Houston that does fantastic work on motorcycle helmets. I would be willing to give him the pieces to do a little retro look job. Similar to the grill look on Boyd Coddington's old Mustang.

Sometimes it is hard to think outside the box, the risks are expesive, yet when things work, we would be a hit.

2005 GT Premium, windveil blue, silver GT-style painted stripes, BBK CAI and Shorty Headers, Cat-back Bassani exhaust system. SCT Performance Tune. 20" Shelby Razor wheels,14" eradi-speed rotors, Tokico DSpec shocks, steeda sportlite springs, BMR suspension bars.

Member MCOH
Member MCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
S197 Member

They don't look too bad but I definitely wouldn't remove my glass in order to install them.

- JIM

2006 PREMIUM GT COUPE VISTA BLUE
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisee
Why does it look like crap?
I just don't like the way they look. I haven't seen anything that flush mounted that looks good. If it looked more like the old style with the window, then it might look good?

Saleen S/C, 4R70W Trans, 3:73 gears, 3200 stall PI, GT500 fuel pump, JBA Shorty headers.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

I can hear what you guys are saying. Remember the pictures you see are of the prototype.

I doubt much will change now, but on the whole I'm happy with it. I think the angle of the louver could be a little more steep, but I'm not putting up the cash to fab these babies.

Until I see a black pair installed. I can picture in my mind what they'll look like, and I have to say that it's better than the louvers that sit on the outside of the window.

And in the end I can always re-sell them on Ebay for twice what I'll pay for them. So it's a win - win in my book.
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt46270
I just don't like the way they look. I haven't seen anything that flush mounted that looks good. If it looked more like the old style with the window, then it might look good?
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about not looking like the old school ones. They're the only ones on the market that do look like the real lovers from '65/'66.
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangNut
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about not looking like the old school ones. They're the only ones on the market that do look like the real lovers from '65/'66.
I think I can address this... Let me first state that I have already pre-ordered the louvers, so regardless, I like them enough to get them.

I think in order for them to be truely old-school in look, they would need a 'lip' on them that is slightly raised, and for the outer part to actually overlap the body panel some and for that the area outside of the actual louver to be shaped such that it's more rectangular in the rear area. The shape of the new mustang window is not as square off as the old 65-68 louver area, so when you just fill it with a louver, you're not getting the true retro-look of the 60's mustang fastback.

-danny
PONY Member
S197 Member

True. That "lip" is the one thing I think would improve SHR's louvers a lot. However, I'd give up the lip and the "corners" for louvers that aren't stuck to the outside of the car. The "replacements" just look more like they belong, IMO.
S197 Member

If anyone doesn't want to install the flush mounted louvers because you need to remove your window, or you just don't want to wait for the Silverhorseracing ones then I suggest looking at the ones from Stage 3 Motorsports. They are not flush mounted but they are the nicest louvers I have seen so far for the S197. I haven't heard much about them on the forums but as soon as I saw them I ordered a set. They're nicer than the Roush, Street Scene and CDC imo.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Now...who doesn't want to install these louvers? They look AWESOME
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3991.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	19638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3992.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	19639  
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisee
Now...who doesn't want to install these louvers? They look AWESOME
I just wouldn't want to UNinstall my quarter windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page