What component speakers have you installed? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

What component speakers have you installed?

I am investigating an aftermarket stereo system, and I am curious how people feel about any component speaker systems they may have installed?

Also, what aftermarket amp/head unit (if any) are you using?

I only have the base stereo system (no Shaker), so I am particularly interested in people that have upgraded from that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006
S197 Member

Kenwood EZ900SR with built in Sirius and HD radio + Memphis audio 5 Band PEQ +alpine V12 5 channel + 12 inch JL W0 + 4 sets of 61/2 components by MB Quart. Very clean and pounds. Using a Crutchfeild box in the corner of the truck for the sub, doesnt use much trunk at all

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

Is Crutchfield the final word on what does or doesn't fit in our cars? It looks like crutchfield says we can fit 6 x 8's or 5-1/4" (with adapter) in both the front and rear. However, I am noticing that some 5-1/4" components speaker systems (in particular, the Kenwood KFC-P507) are not showing up on the list of what fits my car. Is this due to mounting depth or some other cause?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006
S197 Member

I stuck some 6 1/2s and had custom mounts for them. Go with the 6 1/2 speakers, they give really good midbass. Go with a knowledgable shop for the install, and dont belive everything crutchfields says.. a good installer can customize almost any cars fitments.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
My preference has always been to use Kicker speakers and MTX amps (well since the THunder series Amps came out around '96). IN my Z28 I had 2 sets of Kicker 6 1/2" w 1" tweeter components runnign off a keenwood headunit with built in Sirius. In the back I used an MTX 10" powered enclosure. Sounded really good, but not too loud.

Now, other good Spreaker Brands for components are MB Quart, Alpine, MTX, Infinity. TO be honest, all most all 6-1/2s will give you good mid bass if you run them off a good Amp, its the harshness of the tweeter that seperates them.

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to hawgman Send a message via Yahoo to hawgman
Well, I didn't go with components, but I did gut the skipper1000 and replace it.

Infinity Kappa 682.7s in the doors and rear deck
MTX Thunder 4508-4 subs in the doors
Scosche trunk box with an Infinity 122.7W sub
Two Kicker 650.4 amps
Kenwood DDX7015
Kenwood KNAV 4100 Navigation
Kenwood SIR-KEN1 Sirius tuner
Stinger 1 farad capacitor
4 gauge power and ground
12 gauge speaker wire to all speakers.

Quite pleased

2005 GT Premium,torch red, all available factory options.
Performance mods: Lets just say it's not stock.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

This IntelliTXT stuff sucks.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwndr
Is Crutchfield the final word on what does or doesn't fit in our cars? It looks like crutchfield says we can fit 6 x 8's or 5-1/4" (with adapter) in both the front and rear. However, I am noticing that some 5-1/4" components speaker systems (in particular, the Kenwood KFC-P507) are not showing up on the list of what fits my car. Is this due to mounting depth or some other cause?
I wouldn't say that Crutchfield is always right with fitment issues. After reading several threads aout the infinity 6812's I decided to order them, but the Crutchfield website showed that the infinity 6812's would only fit the rears, not the fronts. I then called their customer service line, and the rep said the same thing. When I asked why, he said that their information showed that depth was an issue. Of course I ordered them anyway, and they do fit perfectly. I will say however, that Crutchfield is a great place to order from. Good prices, free wiring harnesses, and a detailed mustang installation guide thrown in, with quick shipping.....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006
S197 Member

I'm a former IASCA guy from the early 90's and car stereo has come a long way. My former system consisted of Zapco components and i have only seen 1 shop that carries this brand. I guess the mainstream stuff is really all equal now because most of the stuff you can buy these days are made overseas. I dont think many amps are made in the USA anymore.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

Another newbie question,

How can I find if a head unit as adequate for powering component speakers? For instance, speakers I am looking at are rated at 8 - 45 watts RMS. Head unit I am looking at is good for 22 watts RMS x 4 channels. Does this mean it is underpowered if I am trying to run both front and rear speakers from the head unit alone?

How does that math work?
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwndr
Another newbie question,

How can I find if a head unit as adequate for powering component speakers? For instance, speakers I am looking at are rated at 8 - 45 watts RMS. Head unit I am looking at is good for 22 watts RMS x 4 channels. Does this mean it is underpowered if I am trying to run both front and rear speakers from the head unit alone?

How does that math work?
It means that each speaker should be rated at least 22 watts, 2 in the front and two in the back. You also have to be careful that you match the impedence, If your stock ones are rated at 2 ohms, you need 2 ohm speakers or you will miss out on half the power.
I also have the stock system and replaced the two fronts with the Infinitiey 6812 CF, very nice speakers. The Standard speakers are rated at 25 Watts. The infinities are rated at 60watt, 180watt max.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
S197 Member

Always use an Amp for powering Component speakers, you can also blow them up if you put too much distrortion thru them.
Apprentice
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Zrullac
Here is a link to my stereo upgrade.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ad.php?t=55596

MSgt, USAFR Retired
2006 Mustang GT Deluxe Coupe, Tungsten Grey, Dark Charcoal Int., IUP, AAT, Leather Trim Bucket Seats, 17" 40th Anniversary Bullits w/tri-bar Pony Spinner, TR3650 5-Spd Man Tranny, Wheel Locking Kit, MRT Hood Struts. Pioneer AVIC-D1 Nav system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page