Intercooler/ Non-supercharged Application - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

Intercooler/ Non-supercharged Application

hey guys- does anybody know if there is an intercooler that can be used with just a cai system? the extreme heat and humidity down here in south louisiana is killing my car's performance. i'm not crazy about the methanol injection systems because if it suddenly stops working, your engine might frag because of the timing issues associated with methanol injection. any ideas? thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Wouldn't the added weight negate any positive effects you get from it?

This is just a guess but I'm pretty sure all intercoolers are made to attach directly to Superchargers. The CAI goes right in. I'm not sure that it would be feasible anyway. I could be wrong though :-P

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Send a message via AIM to BlueStreak03 Send a message via Yahoo to BlueStreak03
Intercoolers don't have to attach directly to the blower. However the added weight would indeed negate any gains.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

John Adams

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Hwy stoon,

It sounds like you are running N/A not blown based on what you are asking. If this is the case how do you expect to cool your intake charge to below ambient air temp without some type of evaporative or refrigeration system? Even if you could design an effective refrigeration system that could really cool the volume of air needed by the engine it would weigh a ton and make your car handle like a pig. It would be easier to move to a place where it's cooler and drier.

This is good free advice IMO.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoon aucoin
hey guys- does anybody know if there is an intercooler that can be used with just a cai system? the extreme heat and humidity down here in south louisiana is killing my car's performance. i'm not crazy about the methanol injection systems because if it suddenly stops working, your engine might frag because of the timing issues associated with methanol injection. any ideas? thanks!

'05 Ford S197 Mineral Gray Mustang GT
Too many mods to list, check my profile if interested

'95 BMW E36 Cosmos Schwartz M3
Mild restomod project with my teen-age sons
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsPix
Hwy stoon,

It sounds like you are running N/A not blown based on what you are asking. If this is the case how do you expect to cool your intake charge to below ambient air temp without some type of evaporative or refrigeration system? Even if you could design an effective refrigeration system that could really cool the volume of air needed by the engine it would weigh a ton and make your car handle like a pig. It would be easier to move to a place where it's cooler and drier.

This is good free advice IMO.

Cheers
Or invest in an AirBoat You guys have dem down der in da Bayou, right? Hehe, sorry bad attempt at a cajun accent.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006 Thread Starter
Rookie

SP- the only mods that i have are cai, tuner and 4.10s. i would like to add a supercharger, but i am leery due to the stock internals.
on the intercooler idea, i'm just trying to figure out a way to get back some of the power that mother nature is stealing from me. i am trying to figure out my next performance mod. i'm thinking about exhaust system, but i want the performance w/o the extra noise- kind of a catch 22, I guess. thanks for the info!

2 scoop- how 'bout an airboat fan with a giant ice bucket mounted to the front of the stang? that should do it!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoon aucoin
SP- the only mods that i have are cai, tuner and 4.10s. i would like to add a supercharger, but i am leery due to the stock internals.
on the intercooler idea, i'm just trying to figure out a way to get back some of the power that mother nature is stealing from me. i am trying to figure out my next performance mod. i'm thinking about exhaust system, but i want the performance w/o the extra noise- kind of a catch 22, I guess. thanks for the info!

2 scoop- how 'bout an airboat fan with a giant ice bucket mounted to the front of the stang? that should do it!
How about a block of dry ice? don't know what the carbon dioxide would do for you. Twoscoops, sounds more Canadian

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
WEll, I know in the past people have tried to route the A/C into the air system. Though on a N/A set up the coil itself will offseet any gains due to air temp drop by restricting flow. On the otherhand if you tried to runn it through a cooled tube, the Air Velocity is too great to achieve any great reduction in temperature and again the added drag on your engine from runnign the A/C negates the gains. Though, also most cars open the A/C clutch when you are at WOT.

To help reduce the overall heat you might want to..
1. Get ceramic coated Headers
2. Use a CAI with a seal agains the hood and run a tube from under the car up into the fender to blow air from outside onto the filter
3. Use your Programmer to set your fans to come on at a lower temp.
4. Switch to a lower temp Thermostat so the water starts flowing at a lower temp.

These steps will keep the incoming air cooler. Is it really worth it... hard to tell.

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

If you are really concerned about this roll down your windows and turn off your AC. The AC compresser can gobble up HP and TQ. This should offset the loss of increased intake temperature on those hot days. Make sure to bring along some water and a towel.

All kidding a side, the AC compressor needs horsepower and torque to run.

BC

You can see the project at Grassroots Motorsports
GT Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to STONECOLD
I think if you try an add a intercooler without it being attached to a blower of some sort your just going to hinder the cars performance even more. Youll be adding alot more length and bends to the system with out the added help of the blower to help keep the air moving.

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
BBK CAI, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Pro-M Optimizer, BBK 70mm TB, GT-40 Intake, 24# Injectors, AFR 165's, 1.7 Roller rockers, Crane 2040 cam (E-303) BBK Equal Length headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2 Chambers. FMS 3.73 Gears, Lentech AODE 2800 stall, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator. MSD 6AL, Steeda UDP's, FMS Aluminum drive shaft, Autologic chip Larocca tune.
PONY Member
S197 Member

You can try DEI.. They supposedly have a C02 based cooling system that is designed for N/A cars
Apprentice
S197 Member

The intercooler is part of the intake here ispics of mine.
To fix ur problem take of the cai(I call em Hot air intakes) and put the stock box back on. Notice the stock air box get it's air from inside the fenderwell not from the heated engine compartment
Here is pic of my intake and intercooler

"Consciousness. That Annoying Time Between Naps."
Eh!
05 Roush Roush suspension
Roushcharger S/C Roush 14" Brakes
Roush 18" Wheels BMR Adj. panhard bar
Roush short shifter
Roush Pedals
Billet Knobs
Upgraded interior
Shaker 1000
Silver dash kit
Sequential taillights
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05
You can try DEI.. They supposedly have a C02 based cooling system that is designed for N/A cars
Subzero... (good name for this topic btw) This is exactly what I was thinking of. This: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku coupled with an smaller intercooler would work. It basically sprays on the intercooler and freezes it. When the air gets sucked through... it cools the air temp a bunch. The boys on HorsePower TV (I think it was them) installed one of these or a system like it. Turned some good numbers. Can't remember right of hand the number. They said it was like driving you car on a cool crisp fall morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page