The Downside to street Racing - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdvision
They had a update on the evening news last night. The driver of the Black 06 GT was a "44 yr old" male and his passenger was a 36 yr old male. The female(I believe they said she was 25 yrs old) driving the other Mustang GT was handed several charges including impaired driving. Last year a guy in his fifties lost control of his Corvette and jumped the curb and killed a pedestrian. I don't buy your young driver theory. Drivers of all ages and experience levels are capable of losing control in the wrong place at the wrong time. On the street anything can happen. Add booze or drugs to the mix and it gets real ugly. Just be careful guys.
Update http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton...31345-sun.html
I think younger kids have less tolerance to peer pressure though, and the need to show off...that cpombined with a lack of experience racing gets them in trouble.

Although, I think younger people get into trouble because they have never gotten into an accident. They don't know how fast a car will come up on your front hood if the guy in front slams on their breaks at the last second, or how to get a car to right itself from a fishtail. It's all kinda like burning your hand on the stove as a kid. They may think they can handle the car like people do in the movies, but when you get shookenup nothing substitutes for experience.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

S197 Member

Maybe if they had a roll cage and helmets on the wouldnt have got that hurt. Or if maybe Rothlesberger had a helment on he would be in training camp this summer. I have seen a roll cage save someone in his Nissan 240 once, he rolled it a few times and he was ok..he also had a 5 pt harness

post #18 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Another update on the accident.
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...af40e5&k=41911

Passenger paralysed in street-racing rollover

Laura Drake, The Edmonton Journal

Published: Wednesday, June 14, 2006
EDMONTON - A 36-year-old man is paralysed and may not survive after he was critically injured late Monday when the Ford Mustang he was a passenger in rolled on 149th Street near 135th Avenue as it raced another car.
The car first struck the centre median, then veered into a fire hydrant, a power box, a light pole and six trees before flipping end-over-end and rolling a few times.
The injured man has severe leg, spinal and head injuries.
"He's going to be paralysed if he does make it," said Const. Mike Wynnyk.
The man's name and medical status were not available on Tuesday.
The other car involved in the street race, a 1998 Mustang, was found an hour later at a nearby movie theatre with a female driver and another woman inside.
Two people have been charged.
Gerald Brisebois, 44, is charged with dangerous driving causing bodily harm.
Nevada Patenaude, 25, is charged with impaired driving and dangerous driving.
It appears the two cars were involved in an unorganized street race leading up to the crash, according to witnesses.
Wynnyk said it is not unusual to see women involved in street racing.
"A few cars line up at a set of lights, you get that adrenaline rush and you want to go. It could be a good song on the radio or the sound of exhaust or a pretty girl that sets you off," Wynnyk said.
Before joining the force in 1991, he totalled his own car in a street race.
Police run a program called Street Legal to combat street racing.
The program allows any driver with a licence and and insured car to race at Castrol Raceway just south of Edmonton.
Wynnyk was at Archbishop O'Leary Catholic high school on Tuesday to tell students about the program.
Keaton Babysh, a 16-year-old Grade 11 student, admitted he has raced his black Toyota MR2 on the street "once or twice."
"People just want to see whose car is faster," he said.
However, he said he prefers going to the Street Legal track because there is no "swerving around traffic."
Prime Minister Stephen Harper has announced plans to table changes to the Criminal Code to crack down on street racing, a move Wynnyk said is welcome.
"It shows that government at higher levels is taking this seriously."
In February, a 23-year-old Edmonton man died in a similar incident when he lost control of his car during a race on Yellowhead Trail.
[email protected]
The Edmonton Journal 2006

2010 Shelby GT500 Coupe
Grabber Blue w/white stripes, HID's, FRPP Suspension, Borla Stingers.
2014 GT Convertible
5.0, Auto, Prem, Gotta Have It Green, Cloth top, 20"Bullits, Magnaflow Street axlebacks
SOLD-(July 2 2009)2006 Mustang GT,FRPP/Whipple HO Supercharger, Satin Silver, 5spd manual, 3.55's and much more.

S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch
How about if a person is caught street racing they will no longer be allowed to drive a car with more than 100 HP.
Sad for the passenger, If what they say is true, if that were me, I would rather be dead.
I hope that you never become a judge LOL, coz a 100 hp car can also go 150 km/s and crash!

I just hope we learn from this and don't let our pride rule us, if you're losing, just let it go, there's always faster!
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw0scoops123
I think younger kids have less tolerance to peer pressure though, and the need to show off...that cpombined with a lack of experience racing gets them in trouble.

Although, I think younger people get into trouble because they have never gotten into an accident. They don't know how fast a car will come up on your front hood if the guy in front slams on their breaks at the last second, or how to get a car to right itself from a fishtail. It's all kinda like burning your hand on the stove as a kid. They may think they can handle the car like people do in the movies, but when you get shookenup nothing substitutes for experience.
experienced or not, you have to put in mind that other people's lives are at risk here. Today, I wasn't racing anyone but I was going 140 km/s to catch up a stop light not to turn red, suddenly a cab driver pulls out from a traffic lane to switch to mine, I opened my eyes like "the paint job is ruined" and I didn't hit break, I took a hard turn to the right while honking and slightly breaking, I chased the taxi and pulled right in front and stopped in the middle of the road forcing him to stop too, I waved my hand like "come I wanna talk to ya", he apologized raising his hand several times, I forgave him. if I wasn't speeding, that wouldn't have happened, add to that the stupid cab driver.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Two words, Road rage.

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornyGT
experienced or not, you have to put in mind that other people's lives are at risk here. Today, I wasn't racing anyone but I was going 140 km/s to catch up a stop light not to turn red, suddenly a cab driver pulls out from a traffic lane to switch to mine, I opened my eyes like "the paint job is ruined" and I didn't hit break, I took a hard turn to the right while honking and slightly breaking, I chased the taxi and pulled right in front and stopped in the middle of the road forcing him to stop too, I waved my hand like "come I wanna talk to ya", he apologized raising his hand several times, I forgave him. if I wasn't speeding, that wouldn't have happened, add to that the stupid cab driver.
I didn't say it was ok for experienced people to do it on the street...just that new drivers are inexperienced and should at least take it to the track instead of mixing it up with unpredictable traffic.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
PONY Member

Since no one else is saying it, I will...

ALL street racing is STUPID and so are the drivers who engage in it.

There's nothing 'special' in being a certain age or having more driving experience, or "knowing your limits." Gee... When you smash yourself up or kill a pedestrian or take out an uninvolved vehicle or the idiot you're racing - I guess that's the LIMIT, eh?! If ya didn't know for sure before that - you'll know after it happens.

Too many variables - residential, highway, rural, wherever.

Take it to the track, people... Give the rest of us who may not move outta yer dang way fast enough - a flippin' break.

'05 V6 Premium, Automatic, Redfire with Parchment interior. Added '06 Pony Package grille and foglights, custom rocker stripes, Peripheral Audio System for direct iPod play, window tint, chrome Pony-style power outlet cover and replaced Blue Oval spinners with Pony-design spinners. (Little changes are cool, too )

"Life without music would be a mistake." - An unknown, but very wise person
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
I hope that you never become a judge LOL, coz a 100 hp car can also go 150 km/s and crash!

I just hope we learn from this and don't let our pride rule us, if you're losing, just let it go, there's always faster!
I am a judge LOL, just kidding, my point is there wouldn't be the temptation to be racing a small HP vehicle, IE, low ego emissions :kooky:

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Sounds as bad as people who slow down at intersections, usually elderly, worrying that the light will turn red.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PONYCAR

There's nothing 'special' in being a certain age or having more driving experience, or "knowing your limits." Gee... When you smash yourself up or kill a pedestrian or take out an uninvolved vehicle or the idiot you're racing - I guess that's the LIMIT, eh?! If ya didn't know for sure before that - you'll know after it happens.

Take it to the track, people... Give the rest of us who may not move outta yer dang way fast enough - a flippin' break.

Well said. Thank you. :thumbsup

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
nghtrnnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PONYCAR

..................................hmm........well. ...okay i'll weigh in a lil bit...personally i find nothing wrong in streetracing..but i think some folks have it confused...streetracing isnt racing down a school block at 230pm...streetracing isnt racing down the highway at 5pm...it isnt called the midnight club for nothin...my belief is that if you buy a really fast car and dont use it to go really fast thats pretty stupid...my belief is that if you arent fast enough to get out of the way if you do happen to see headlights zipping toward you late at night you are either drunk or a moron anyway...if you go on the street and arent 100% aware of whats going on around you...get off the street...fire trucks dont even slow down at red lights when they race to a fire...and as far as only going to the track...ask dale earnhardt when you get to heaven how safe the track is...cause when you push a 3000 pound object 140mph it isnt safe no matter where you do it...so all you keep it at the track guys are just as bad as the rest of us...i've seen more cars at the track fly into the audience than cars on the strip fly into the crowd.street racers arent all young...best damn racer i know is a 56 year old guy in a souped up trans am that kicks up a mushroom cloud when he arrives.i get it though...its good to be passionate...but you'll convince a buncha gear heads to quit revvin on the other guy about the same time you convince harley guys that noise pollution is bad...wanna help save lives? i said it before...all those smokers smoking around other people are doing a hell of alot more damage than us lil ol streetracers...to themselves..to others...hell theyre destroyin the damn earth...but okay fine...we agree to disagree...if you stay in the speed limit all the time...cool...if you go over it to zoom pass a car or cause youre in a rush, youre a hypocrit. guess what? the minute..the second you go above that speed limit ...youre a law breaker like the rest of us..."racin on a street"

why do all the guys from kill stories get so quiet when the streetracing debate starts...where are the men who smoke the chargers and the goats and kill the ricers...weigh in men...this is a mustang group and i know i am not the only guy who feels like i do......ooops...i forgot i'm stayin out of this one.....chuckle
GT Member
S197 Member

Hey, 05PonyCar,

Don't you love it when people try to dispute you point and only end up proving you were correct all along?

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I've seen enough home videos of street racers crashing into crowds and such, and the drivers who think their sheet don't stink.
You cant count for all the variables that can happen on the street.
It's your choice, your license, your car, your life, but if something goes wrong, you should pay dearly.
I'm sure the guy that crashed and died said I'm a good driver, nothing like that will ever happen.
Famous last words.

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
nghtrnnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty
Hey, 05PonyCar,

Don't you love it when people try to dispute you point and only end up proving you were correct all along?
uh oh....i hope he doesnt mean me...cause i thought i said i was weighing in...not quite disputing...at least thats what i thought i wrote....dont ya love when people comment but have no idea what theyre commentin about

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page