The Downside to street Racing - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
nghtrnnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoenr
I've seen enough home videos of street racers crashing into crowds and such, and the drivers who think their sheet don't stink.
You cant count for all the variables that can happen on the street.
It's your choice, your license, your car, your life, but if something goes wrong, you should pay dearly.
I'm sure the guy that crashed and died said I'm a good driver, nothing like that will ever happen.
Famous last words.
i agree stone...it isnt safe...but then i live in ny...walkin down the street isnt safe either...i would never say its safe bro...i'm only sayin its okay...it isnt the best but it damn sure isnt the worst bad habit to have

i've had some scary racin moments..i dont do it all the time...but sept 11,2001 proved to me i cant even plan a quiet day in the city and be safe...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtrnnr
my belief is that if you arent fast enough to get out of the way if you do happen to see headlights zipping toward you late at night you are either drunk or a moron anyway
Or you are someone's son or daughter, mom or dad, etc. who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time because somebody thinks they have complete control of their environment when they race. Road racing is stupid and selfish because it places others at the mercy of your actions.

2007 Mustang GT
Windveil Blue
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty
Well said. Thank you. :thumbsup
You're very welcome!

'05 V6 Premium, Automatic, Redfire with Parchment interior. Added '06 Pony Package grille and foglights, custom rocker stripes, Peripheral Audio System for direct iPod play, window tint, chrome Pony-style power outlet cover and replaced Blue Oval spinners with Pony-design spinners. (Little changes are cool, too )

"Life without music would be a mistake." - An unknown, but very wise person

PONY Member

Quote:
..................................hmm........well. ...okay i'll weigh in a lil bit...personally i find nothing wrong in streetracing..but i think some folks have it confused...streetracing isnt racing down a school block at 230pm...streetracing isnt racing down the highway at 5pm...it isnt called the midnight club for nothin...my belief is that if you buy a really fast car and dont use it to go really fast thats pretty stupid...my belief is that if you arent fast enough to get out of the way if you do happen to see headlights zipping toward you late at night you are either drunk or a moron anyway...if you go on the street and arent 100% aware of whats going on around you...get off the street...fire trucks dont even slow down at red lights when they race to a fire...and as far as only going to the track...ask dale earnhardt when you get to heaven how safe the track is...cause when you push a 3000 pound object 140mph it isnt safe no matter where you do it...so all you keep it at the track guys are just as bad as the rest of us...i've seen more cars at the track fly into the audience than cars on the strip fly into the crowd.street racers arent all young...best damn racer i know is a 56 year old guy in a souped up trans am that kicks up a mushroom cloud when he arrives.i get it though...its good to be passionate...but you'll convince a buncha gear heads to quit revvin on the other guy about the same time you convince harley guys that noise pollution is bad...wanna help save lives? i said it before...all those smokers smoking around other people are doing a hell of alot more damage than us lil ol streetracers...to themselves..to others...hell theyre destroyin the damn earth...but okay fine...we agree to disagree...if you stay in the speed limit all the time...cool...if you go over it to zoom pass a car or cause youre in a rush, youre a hypocrit. guess what? the minute..the second you go above that speed limit ...youre a law breaker like the rest of us..."racin on a street"

why do all the guys from kill stories get so quiet when the streetracing debate starts...where are the men who smoke the chargers and the goats and kill the ricers...weigh in men...this is a mustang group and i know i am not the only guy who feels like i do......ooops...i forgot i'm stayin out of this one.....chuckle

In Vegas, the idiots who die streetracing are doing it at 1:30 a.m. and crashing into light poles and walls AND innocent motorists.

Your arguments hold NO water whatsoever. Bottomline, at the track all you have are racers and spectators who KNOW THE RISKS (or should). Stuff happens (like Mr. Earnhardt). If it happens at the track, I feel bad for the drivers. If it happens on city streets - forget 'em. They should have known better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And yes, 5twenty... It IS rather amusing, isn't it? :thumbsup

'05 V6 Premium, Automatic, Redfire with Parchment interior. Added '06 Pony Package grille and foglights, custom rocker stripes, Peripheral Audio System for direct iPod play, window tint, chrome Pony-style power outlet cover and replaced Blue Oval spinners with Pony-design spinners. (Little changes are cool, too )

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoenr
I've seen enough home videos of street racers crashing into crowds and such, and the drivers who think their sheet don't stink.
You cant count for all the variables that can happen on the street.
It's your choice, your license, your car, your life, but if something goes wrong, you should pay dearly.
I'm sure the guy that crashed and died said I'm a good driver, nothing like that will ever happen.
Famous last words.
Good post, Stoener! The attitudes I've seen range from smarta$$ (the older drivers who either blame someone else for their stupidity - or leave the scene first and THEN blame someone else) to extreme remorse (the young kids who bawl their eyes out for the cameras).

GT Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via AIM to STONECOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PONYCAR
Since no one else is saying it, I will...

ALL street racing is STUPID and so are the drivers who engage in it.

There's nothing 'special' in being a certain age or having more driving experience, or "knowing your limits." Gee... When you smash yourself up or kill a pedestrian or take out an uninvolved vehicle or the idiot you're racing - I guess that's the LIMIT, eh?! If ya didn't know for sure before that - you'll know after it happens.

Too many variables - residential, highway, rural, wherever.

Take it to the track, people... Give the rest of us who may not move outta yer dang way fast enough - a flippin' break.

I respect your opinion but try and remember that not everyone has access to a track.

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
BBK CAI, Pro-M 75mm MAF, Pro-M Optimizer, BBK 70mm TB, GT-40 Intake, 24# Injectors, AFR 165's, 1.7 Roller rockers, Crane 2040 cam (E-303) BBK Equal Length headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder 2 Chambers. FMS 3.73 Gears, Lentech AODE 2800 stall, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator. MSD 6AL, Steeda UDP's, FMS Aluminum drive shaft, Autologic chip Larocca tune.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstangGT
Or you are someone's son or daughter, mom or dad, etc. who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time because somebody thinks they have complete control of their environment when they race. Road racing is stupid and selfish because it places others at the mercy of your actions.
Thanks jbstangGT... I knew there are a bunch of us here who feel the same way.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONECOLD
I respect your opinion but try and remember that not everyone has access to a track.
Thank you, STONECOLD... And my response to track access would be... Oh well. They'll get over it. I can not condone street racing, period.

People need to think before acting and put others first. In the grand scheme, there's absolutely nothing important to prove by street racing and they're risking EVERYTHING.

nghtrnnr

Quote:
In Vegas, the idiots who die streetracing are doing it at 1:30 a.m. and crashing into light poles and walls AND innocent motorists.

Your arguments hold NO water whatsoever. Bottomline, at the track all you have are racers and spectators who KNOW THE RISKS (or should). Stuff happens (like Mr. Earnhardt). If it happens at the track, I feel bad for the drivers. If it happens on city streets - forget 'em. They should have known better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And yes, 5twenty... It IS rather amusing, isn't it? :thumbsup
nice...call a dying man an idiot...which innocent motorist did he crash into? or was it 2 cars racing that...as you say..."knew the risks" let me point out that walking down a street you should at least if you have any intelligence know that a car crash could occur at any time and be a lil wary...whereas at a track you have a barrier that purports to keep you safe and yet i still see videos of cars flying into the crowd...where would a wise man feel safe? with a 4ft so called barrier separating him and the cars...or a 6inch curb? heres what bothers me...FAGS WHO CALL STREETRACERS IDIOTS AND PRETEND THAT THEY BOUGHT A 300HP GT TO SLOWLY NAVIGATE THE STREETS.BECAUSE THEY PRETEND THAT THEY NEVER EVER PUNCH IT ON A STREET.THEY ALWAYS GO TO THE TRACK...DIDNT 5TWENTY BURN RUBBER OUT OF THE DEALERSHIP? GUESS HE WASNT WORRIED ABOUT SOME LIL KID RIDING HIS LIL BIKE PAST THE LOT THEN WAS HE?AND THIS GUY CALLING STREETRACERS IDIOTS...HE WANTS US TO BELIVE HE LIVES IN SINCITY,BOUGHT A MUSTANG GT AND NEVER REVVED AT A LIGHT? COME ON NOW..i love when some accident happens and a some monday morning quarterback **** decides to jump on his soapbox...next week he'll be telling us a nice kill story but for now he'll attack a man dyin in a hospital as an idiot....me...i'll have a drink for that dyin man and wish him well
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
..................................hmm........well. ...okay i'll weigh in a lil bit...personally i find nothing wrong in streetracing..but i think some folks have it confused...streetracing isnt racing down a school block at 230pm...streetracing isnt racing down the highway at 5pm...it isnt called the midnight club for nothin...my belief is that if you buy a really fast car and dont use it to go really fast thats pretty stupid...my belief is that if you arent fast enough to get out of the way if you do happen to see headlights zipping toward you late at night you are either drunk or a moron anyway...if you go on the street and arent 100% aware of whats going on around you...get off the street...fire trucks dont even slow down at red lights when they race to a fire...and as far as only going to the track...ask dale earnhardt when you get to heaven how safe the track is...cause when you push a 3000 pound object 140mph it isnt safe no matter where you do it...so all you keep it at the track guys are just as bad as the rest of us...i've seen more cars at the track fly into the audience than cars on the strip fly into the crowd.street racers arent all young...best damn racer i know is a 56 year old guy in a souped up trans am that kicks up a mushroom cloud when he arrives.i get it though...its good to be passionate...but you'll convince a buncha gear heads to quit revvin on the other guy about the same time you convince harley guys that noise pollution is bad...wanna help save lives? i said it before...all those smokers smoking around other people are doing a hell of alot more damage than us lil ol streetracers...to themselves..to others...hell theyre destroyin the damn earth...but okay fine...we agree to disagree...if you stay in the speed limit all the time...cool...if you go over it to zoom pass a car or cause youre in a rush, youre a hypocrit. guess what? the minute..the second you go above that speed limit ...youre a law breaker like the rest of us..."racin on a street"

why do all the guys from kill stories get so quiet when the streetracing debate starts...where are the men who smoke the chargers and the goats and kill the ricers...weigh in men...this is a mustang group and i know i am not the only guy who feels like i do......ooops...i forgot i'm stayin out of this one.....chuckle
You knew you would get bombed didn't you?
First the statement about being stupid if you buy a fast car and don't go fast is stupid. I just hate underpowerd cars because it takes forever to even pass someone who is going 20 mph under the limit holding everyone up and you can't pass because of the lack of ponies, take for instance trucks passing other trucks, you know how long that takes. There are plenty of times that I have avoided accidents by having a powerful car.
You may be "breaking the law" by going a few miles over the limit, but street racing can be a felony. You wouldn't get a reckless driving ticket for going a few miles over the limit.
Geez this has been discussed before in another thread. Where's county mounty when you need him

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #41 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Today the Canadian government is possibly going to pass legislation that would hand out stiffer fines and license suspensions as well as jail time for repeat offenders for drivers that are caught street racing. They did the same for drinking and driving and people still do it. In the 25yrs + since my first street race I've seen a steady increase in the amount of traffic on the roadways at all times of the day and night. There is just way more potential chance of having something bad happen during a street race than on the track. There were a number of years here in Edmonton where we had no track and there was a hardcore street racing scene. That took to isolated areas to do the deed and yes there were accidents. Now that we have a nice facility to race at (every Friday night there is "street legal" racing for $25) there is a very good turnout and it is a much safer place to race. The law enforcement agencies here have their own race cars and do promotions with with car clubs etc. to get people to take it to the track.
Unfortunatly there is a "rush" you get on the street that you just can't duplicate on the track. I encourage people to go to the track to do their racing. But I also understand why street racing happens and know that no matter what laws are passed and how stiff the penalties are street racing will continue to take place.

2010 Shelby GT500 Coupe
Grabber Blue w/white stripes, HID's, FRPP Suspension, Borla Stingers.
2014 GT Convertible
5.0, Auto, Prem, Gotta Have It Green, Cloth top, 20"Bullits, Magnaflow Street axlebacks
SOLD-(July 2 2009)2006 Mustang GT,FRPP/Whipple HO Supercharger, Satin Silver, 5spd manual, 3.55's and much more.
nghtrnnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch
You knew you would get bombed didn't you?
First the statement about being stupid if you buy a fast car and don't go fast is stupid. I just hate underpowerd cars because it takes forever to even pass someone who is going 20 mph under the limit holding everyone up and you can't pass because of the lack of ponies, take for instance trucks passing other trucks, you know how long that takes. There are plenty of times that I have avoided accidents by having a powerful car.
You may be "breaking the law" by going a few miles over the limit, but street racing can be a felony. You wouldn't get a reckless driving ticket for going a few miles over the limit.
Geez this has been discussed before in another thread. Where's county mounty when you need him
true true...but you know i never shy from gettin bombed bro.....and a v6 mustang has more than enough power to get you past the slowpokes going 20mph under the speed limit...you bought the next level...
PONY Member

Quote:
nice...call a dying man an idiot...which innocent motorist did he crash into? or was it 2 cars racing that...as you say..."knew the risks" let me point out that walking down a street you should at least if you have any intelligence know that a car crash could occur at any time and be a lil wary...whereas at a track you have a barrier that purports to keep you safe and yet i still see videos of cars flying into the crowd...where would a wise man feel safe? with a 4ft so called barrier separating him and the cars...or a 6inch curb? heres what bothers me...FAGS WHO CALL STREETRACERS IDIOTS AND PRETEND THAT THEY BOUGHT A 300HP GT TO SLOWLY NAVIGATE THE STREETS.BECAUSE THEY PRETEND THAT THEY NEVER EVER PUNCH IT ON A STREET.THEY ALWAYS GO TO THE TRACK...DIDNT 5TWENTY BURN RUBBER OUT OF THE DEALERSHIP? GUESS HE WASNT WORRIED ABOUT SOME LIL KID RIDING HIS LIL BIKE PAST THE LOT THEN WAS HE?AND THIS GUY CALLING STREETRACERS IDIOTS...HE WANTS US TO BELIVE HE LIVES IN SINCITY,BOUGHT A MUSTANG GT AND NEVER REVVED AT A LIGHT? COME ON NOW..i love when some accident happens and a some monday morning quarterback **** decides to jump on his soapbox...next week he'll be telling us a nice kill story but for now he'll attack a man dyin in a hospital as an idiot....me...i'll have a drink for that dyin man and wish him well
Better get your facts straight, bud...

1. I'm a woman.
2. I drive a V-6 Mustang.
3. I've never revved at a light.
4. I've never had a 'kill' or tried for one.

Bottomline... Your comments about pedestrians being wary that an accident could happen...? Sure, of course they do. Accidents happen all the time. People have been killed here at bus stops. But were the drivers going 100 mph down a residential street? NO.

If a guy has a medical condition, loses his control of his vehicle during normal operation and kills someone THAT is an 'accident.' If a street racer kills that same person - it's voluntary manslaughter. You do the math.

People visiting the track DO know the risks. People walking down the street (or crossing the street) are also taking chances, but they shouldn't have to worry about being run down by giant egos out to prove that their engine (and their privates - and that goes for women, too) are bigger.

I stand by my words.

SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

c'mon guys, relax.
Everyone's guilty of hammering the gas now and then, laying some rubber on occasion. But I think what most are getting at is racing side by side and 20+ over the speed limit is where the line needs to be drawn.

Sure something can happen at any speed. But my "opinion" if you go over 20 mph the posted limit, you are seriously changing the statistics, and that kind of driving should be at the track.

Again, my "opinion" there's nothing wrong with showing Mr. GTO or Mr. Charger how fast your pony gets up and goes to the speed limit, and maybe a few over. But to do anything more gets really dangerous.

Its fun I know! But keep it safe, and within reason of the speed limits.

And this coming from a guy who has buried the speedometer, I know hypocrite.
Late at night on an empty expressway, only me and the animals were at risk.

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
nghtrnnr

Quote:
Better get your facts straight, bud...

1. I'm a woman.
2. I drive a V-6 Mustang.
3. I've never revved at a light.
4. I've never had a 'kill' or tried for one.

Bottomline... Your comments about pedestrians being wary that an accident could happen...? Sure, of course they do. Accidents happen all the time. People have been killed here at bus stops. But were the drivers going 100 mph down a residential street? NO.

If a guy has a medical condition, loses his control of his vehicle during normal operation and kills someone THAT is an 'accident.' If a street racer kills that same person - it's voluntary manslaughter. You do the math.

People visiting the track DO know the risks. People walking down the street (or crossing the street) are also taking chances, but they shouldn't have to worry about being run down by giant egos out to prove that their engine (and their privates - and that goes for women, too) are bigger.

I stand by my words.
sorry...i didnt know you were a chick...then my bad...i understand your point...i thought you were a guy being soft...now i get your stance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page