The Downside to street Racing - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

The Downside to street Racing

Two Mustang that were racing had a horrific crash lastnight in my hometown.http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton...29094-sun.html

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...230e82&k=62834
Two seriously injured after rolling Mustang in west end
The Edmonton Journal
Published: Tuesday, June 13, 2006
EDMONTON - Two young men had to be cut out of the mangled wreckage of a Mustang GT that rolled several times on a west-end street Monday evening.

Insp. Shane Loxterkamp said the car and another Mustang were headed north on 149th Street at "an extremely high rate of speed."

The black Mustang GT failed to negotiate a meridian at 135th Avenue that reduces the two-lane street down to one.

A witness told police he thought the cars were travelling at about 150 km/h at the time.

The black Mustang was launched into the air and rolled several times before coming to rest about a half block down the street.

As it rolled, the car cut down seven newly planted trees, demolished an electrical power box and knocked down a light standard.

The male passenger had to be airlifted by STARS to the University Hospital while the driver was transported by ground ambulance.

Both men have serious and undetermined injuries, said Loxterkamp.

Police located the second Mustang a short time later at a nearby movie cineplex.

Officers were interviewing the occupants, believed to be two young women.

The Edmonton Journal 2006

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	162779-57622.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	17145  

2010 Shelby GT500 Coupe
Grabber Blue w/white stripes, HID's, FRPP Suspension, Borla Stingers.
2014 GT Convertible
5.0, Auto, Prem, Gotta Have It Green, Cloth top, 20"Bullits, Magnaflow Street axlebacks
SOLD-(July 2 2009)2006 Mustang GT,FRPP/Whipple HO Supercharger, Satin Silver, 5spd manual, 3.55's and much more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006
S197 Member

I saw a Mustang and a ricer racing one morning on my way to work. Over here in Las Vegas some of the freeways are lined with high side banks of colored rocks. They were doing 100+mph and the stang lost control and ended up on the enbankment and went on its side and rolled many times, then the driver was ejected and was pronounced dead. I also saw a couple of guys racing in an other part of town that the freeway was not complete and had cross traffic. One of the cars ended up broadsiding a BMW at 90+ and both cars fell into a ditch and caught on fire.

Street racing is dangerous! i guess its not until you kill someone or you get killed. is it really worth it?

post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

you know...the right body man could buff that right out!

06 GT PREMIUM Manual, 18's, Hurst billet, Webelectric sequentials, painted 10" stripes, Cervini KR500 hood w/functional ram air kit, K&N air filter, Cervini side exhaust, chin spoiler, hood struts, rear ducktail, quarter panel scoops, and quarter window scoops, Midweat Auto Gear strut tower covers, 1/2 mirror covers, and fuel rail covers. Pioneer touch screeen head unit w/blue tooth, dvd & sirius.Also haves: 1969 Lemans & 1968 Firebird.

post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006
nghtrnnr

i'll stay away from this one.
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Insurance rates on the GT's are going to go UP UP UP UP.
I know nghtrnnr dosen't do that right?

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Two "young" men in one car and two "young" women in the other car...I'm going to chalk this up to young kids trying to impress each other and not knowing when to back down...I'm not going to sit here and bash street racing...just not using common F**king sense...If you're going to run someone use your damn head and don't do it on residential streets, know when the limit has been reached, and if you're one of those people that can't stand to lose and will do anything to win go to the track and run there so you don't put anyone else in danger. I've run others on the highway before and I'm not saying it's 100% safe or 100% smart but there are certain things people to reduce the risk.

2005 Satin Silver GT...in hibernation until April 2010
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puptent21
Two "young" men in one car and two "young" women in the other car...I'm going to chalk this up to young kids trying to impress each other and not knowing when to back down...I'm not going to sit here and bash street racing...just not using common F**king sense...If you're going to run someone use your damn head and don't do it on residential streets, know when the limit has been reached, and if you're one of those people that can't stand to lose and will do anything to win go to the track and run there so you don't put anyone else in danger. I've run others on the highway before and I'm not saying it's 100% safe or 100% smart but there are certain things people to reduce the risk.
They had a update on the evening news last night. The driver of the Black 06 GT was a "44 yr old" male and his passenger was a 36 yr old male. The female(I believe they said she was 25 yrs old) driving the other Mustang GT was handed several charges including impaired driving. Last year a guy in his fifties lost control of his Corvette and jumped the curb and killed a pedestrian. I don't buy your young driver theory. Drivers of all ages and experience levels are capable of losing control in the wrong place at the wrong time. On the street anything can happen. Add booze or drugs to the mix and it gets real ugly. Just be careful guys.
Update http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton...31345-sun.html

2010 Shelby GT500 Coupe
2014 GT Convertible
5.0, Auto, Prem, Gotta Have It Green, Cloth top, 20"Bullits, Magnaflow Street axlebacks
SOLD-(July 2 2009)2006 Mustang GT,FRPP/Whipple HO Supercharger, Satin Silver, 5spd manual, 3.55's and much more.
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Grim prognosis for race victim -June 14,2006
By MAX MAUDIE, EDMONTON SUN

The passenger in the Mustang that flipped and rolled during a high-speed race Monday night is clinging to life in hospital, but police say he'll likely never fully recover.
"He's going to be paralyzed, if he does make it," said Const. Mike Wynnyk.
Yesterday, the 36-year-old man - who suffered severe leg, spinal, and head injuries - was still alive, said police.
The 2006 Ford Mustang the man was in - driven by a 44-year-old man who would suffer a broken arm in the crash - made a move to pass the 1998 Mustang he was allegedly racing, driven by a 25-year-old woman. Speeds reached more than 150 kmh, according to witnesses at the scene. An official figure hasn't been released by police, who continue to investigate.

The man's car ran headlong into a median around 10 p.m. It flipped and rolled several times before coming to a rest at 149 Street, south of 137 Avenue.
Police caught up to the woman's Mustang nearby - running with a flat tire after it hit the median - about an hour later.
Wynnyk, part of the police's Street Legal team, said such races aren't uncommon on city streets.
The Street Legal team deals with organized street racing.
Maybe one driver becomes a little envious of another's pimped-out exhaust, or someone gets a little aggressive on the road, or a guy sees "some cute girl in a car and he wants to show off," said Wynnyk, speaking generally of street races.
When it comes to cars, "everything is mutated between speed and performance now," said Wynnyk's Street Legal partner, Det. Terry Innes. "And people want to use that speed and performance."
Injury prevention physician Dr. Louis Francescutti called on city police to crack down on traffic infractions, one of a package of promises Chief Mike Boyd recently made.
"The fact that people get away with (dangerous driving) just enforces the behaviour," he said.
Gerald Brisebois, 44, faces a charge of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.
Nevada Patenaude, 25, faces charges of impaired driving and dangerous driving. Prime Minister Stephen Harper recently said his government will make street racing a new criminal offence that will result in stiffer sentences for offenders

2010 Shelby GT500 Coupe
2014 GT Convertible
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006
S197 Member

Well it is obvious with todays political thinking the median was definitly at fault. If the road department had not placed the median at that point in the road, unknowing to the driver and if there were better signs and lights, this would have never happened. It is the road departments fault and responsibility.
Now, all you people who cannot and do not accept any personal responsibility feel better?
SHELBY GT 500 Member

How about if a person is caught street racing they will no longer be allowed to drive a car with more than 100 HP.
Sad for the passenger, If what they say is true, if that were me, I would rather be dead.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today

It's amazing their not both dead.
GT Member
S197 Member

$15.00 guys. race all you want, unlimited, all night long. and its LEGAL. plus, as extra fringe benefits, you will get better launches due to better tractioned surface, a cool little slip at the end of the track that proves to others how fast you went, a whole crowd of people that watch you, and if thats not enough for you.... you can always leave the shoe polish on for a week to show everyone that you race it....

seriously, its fun to goose it a little on the street, take off fast from a light, or maybe chirp the tires in 1st thru 3rd, we all do it. but be careful - straight out hardcore street racing is foolish.... and even if you live after a crash.... look at what you have done to your poor innocent stang!! and with the "new" insurance premium you'll be paying, youll be lucky to own a VW Rabbit.

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdvision
They had a update on the evening news last night. The driver of the Black 06 GT was a "44 yr old" male and his passenger was a 36 yr old male. The female(I believe they said she was 25 yrs old) driving the other Mustang GT was handed several charges including impaired driving. Last year a guy in his fifties lost control of his Corvette and jumped the curb and killed a pedestrian. I don't buy your young driver theory. Drivers of all ages and experience levels are capable of losing control in the wrong place at the wrong time. On the street anything can happen. Add booze or drugs to the mix and it gets real ugly. Just be careful guys.
Update http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton...31345-sun.html

True, drivers of all ages can lose control of a car and do damage especially if booze is involved....but...I know that 7 times out of 10 when I see a car weaving through traffic driving like a complete nut or see two cars in an all-out street race the drivers of said cars appear to be under 25 years of age. I'm only speaking of what I've seen and in no way am I inditing all young drivers as "bad" drivers but in general I see a lot more young drivers acting crazy on the road then I do 40 something drivers. I guess there are reasons a lot of states have or are in the process of adopting laws that limit the time of day drivers under 18 can drive and how many passangers they can carry...too many fatal accidents involving "young" drivers.

2005 Satin Silver GT...in hibernation until April 2010
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNOS
$15.00 guys. race all you want, unlimited, all night long. and its LEGAL. plus, as extra fringe benefits, you will get better launches due to better tractioned surface, a cool little slip at the end of the track that proves to others how fast you went, a whole crowd of people that watch you, and if thats not enough for you.... you can always leave the shoe polish on for a week to show everyone that you race it....

seriously, its fun to goose it a little on the street, take off fast from a light, or maybe chirp the tires in 1st thru 3rd, we all do it. but be careful - straight out hardcore street racing is foolish.... and even if you live after a crash.... look at what you have done to your poor innocent stang!! and with the "new" insurance premium you'll be paying, youll be lucky to own a VW Rabbit.

AMEN to that, well put.
Its only 5 bucks to get in 5 to run out here some days.

'06 Tungsten GT 18" CT-R Gunmetals
Xcal2, JLTII, UDP, ProKit, Dspecs, Bump Steer kit, SS brake hoses, Strut Tower Brace, UCA, Adj.LCA's, AntiSquats, Panhard bar, MGW shifter, Steeda cowl hood, Hood pins, MRT hood struts*, 14" Antenna, Sequencial TL's, 07 Plenum cover, PJ Saleen heritage fascia, CDC ductail, SSE 1/4 window louvers, MAG mirror inserts, Rear trunk painted, MGW window switch plates, Billet door lock pins, Interior trunk release, Tint.
nghtrnnr

its free on the street...sex and smokin are riskier...oops...i'm stayin out of this...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86639130_273971616_0.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	17165   Click image for larger version

Name:	86638577_273969707_0.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	17166   Click image for larger version

Name:	86639373_273972459_0.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	17167   Click image for larger version

Name:	86639595_273973216_0.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	17168  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page