Pypes Off-Road H - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Pypes Off-Road H

I installed the Pypes Off-Road H-pipe last weekend. During the install I noticed the hole in the main tubes (for the H tubes) was only about the size of a quarter about an inch and a half at the most. Is this cool or should I pull them off and grind it larger to the actual size of the H? This question has been bothering me since the install. What do you think..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I noticed that too,....I didn't think about it though. I just switched back to my upr off road x-pipe, and it feels noticeably stronger, and smoother. Maybe that hole size is an issue........hhmmmm

'06 GT Vert Torch Red/Black top/int, IUP, Polished Bullits, , PioneerInfinityMTX Sound System, Tuneable Induction by DeMolet, SCT2 93 Octane Tune by Brenspeed, Red Calipers, Steeda Ultra Lites, Shifted by Hurst,
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I am looking into getting one of these Pypes off road H's, but ive heard nothing but complaints. People are complaining about the resonance or a buzzing at certain RPM. I got to thinking, however, that why would this H-pipe be any different from another H pipe and this is about half the cost. I mean mufflers can vary depending upon the internal design but an H pipe is an H pipe.

I was wondering why you switched back to the x pipe from the Pypes H.... Is it the sound or the power which I find hard to believe is really a noticeable difference.

2005 Mustang GT , 5-speed , Satin Silver
Whipple with lots of extras
11.6 @ 121

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMM
I installed the Pypes Off-Road H-pipe last weekend. During the install I noticed the hole in the main tubes (for the H tubes) was only about the size of a quarter about an inch and a half at the most. Is this cool or should I pull them off and grind it larger to the actual size of the H? This question has been bothering me since the install. What do you think..
I measured mine last night. The opening is 1.5" in mine. Now the question is "What is the correct size opening". Since each of the pipes is 2.5" before and after the crossover, the crossover does not need to accept the full flow which occurs before the crossover. The pictures of the Borla cat back systems I have seen do not appear to have any crossover at all, and each pipe is isolated. The H-pipe crossover is not intended to assure optimal power as the X-pipe design does. However, the H-pipe design is intended to preserve the throaty tone of the stock system. I ask, therefore, (any acoustics physicists out there) does the H-crossover act like the valve of a trumpet to give the desired tone. If so, what is the correct size opening for the crossover?

'06 GT, manual, Satin Silver, lt. grey cloth int., IUP.
MODIFICATIONS - Goodyear F1 GS-D3s; 245/45 on 18x9, 275/40 on 18x10| Progress Technology springs & sway bars| Steeda adj. panhard bar, panhard brace, front control arm brace & bushings| strut tower brace| Tokico D-Spec dampers| CHE adj. LCAs & BMR relocation brackets |drilled & slotted front rotors| C&L intake| BamaChips SCT tune| FRPP 4.10 ring & pinion| Pypes off road H-pipes| FRPP GTA mufflers.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

The engine feels smoother with the x pipe and seems to have noticeably more power. I had vibration/resonance issues that I traced to the hanger contacting the loop that it passes thru. The hpipe felt more rumble, more old school, while the x is more smooth, more silky.

Hope this helps!

'06 GT Vert Torch Red/Black top/int, IUP, Polished Bullits, , PioneerInfinityMTX Sound System, Tuneable Induction by DeMolet, SCT2 93 Octane Tune by Brenspeed, Red Calipers, Steeda Ultra Lites, Shifted by Hurst,
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogpowr
The engine feels smoother with the x pipe and seems to have noticeably more power. I had vibration/resonance issues that I traced to the hanger contacting the loop that it passes thru. The hpipe felt more rumble, more old school, while the x is more smooth, more silky.

Hope this helps!
What muff's are you using? I think this helps decide if you use a X or a H pipe....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page