Forward Facing Car Seat in the Back? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
S197 Member

Yeah, my daughter is about 2 pounds away from when I'll be turning the seat around - it's a Britax and damn huge - then again, she is too - only 9 months and 30" long already. I think it will be a lot easier then - getting her in the seat now is a royal pain in the butt!! and like someone else said, it needs to be on the passenger side.

Good thing is, when it's just her and I, I can leave the fron seat forward and were almost right next to each other, I can just reach over and comfort her if daddy made too much noise with the gas now and then.

But I cannot think of anything funnier than seeing a baby seat in a car tearing up the track!!!

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

2012 Shelby GT500, Black on black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member
S197 Member

Only leather on the seats is the center part of the buckets. The back seat is all man made. That's why the documentation states "Leather trimmed sport bucket seats." But either way, I have a towel under my daughters booster seat as well so as not to scratch the back seat.

12.4 @ 111mph

Saleen S/C, Thump Tensioner, BGG 8 Rib, Kooks, Stingers, Gords, 4.10, Spec 3+, Pro 5.0, GT500 FPs, GT500 T/B, Ultralite Springs, DSpecs, Prothane Mounts, BMR - Adj. Panhard Bar, LCAs, LCA Relo Brackets, Adj. UCA, Rear Sway, Sway Delete/Rad Support
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramblr
Only leather on the seats is the center part of the buckets. The back seat is all man made. That's why the documentation states "Leather trimmed sport bucket seats." But either way, I have a towel under my daughters booster seat as well so as not to scratch the back seat.

I was pretty sure that was the case, it does feeel pretty nice for vinyl though.

Ordered 4/26/05. Picked up June 11, 2005. 05 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, 5spd, Performance White, with red accent leather (ICAP), Shaker 500, IUP, active alarm, side airbag, spoiler delete. MODS: Baltimore Street Mods 10' red stripes and red rocker stripe. window tint. K & N aircharger. Pony Package fender emblems. Added 18" Polished Alum. Bullitts Hurst comp shifter

S197 Member

My SUV brokedown the day my newborn was born. She rode home in the stang. I managed to put a new infant carrier seat in there, anchored to the hooks. I'm still getting therapy on my back from being hunched over trying to stuff it in there . Getting her in and out sucked a$$!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glyppus
For those few Mustang owners with kids...hehe...

Has anybody successfully put a forward facing car seat in the back seat of the Mustang?

We have a minivan and a daily beater as the primary kiddie rides, but when the beater dies, I might need to drive junior around in the GT (BTW - Scheduled for build the week of 6/27! ). Can anyone suggest a brand of car seat that worked well for them in the Mustang?

I know there are anchors back there for car seats, but those back buckets look pretty small, plus I'd like to have some room left over for anybody in the passenger seat.

Any thoughts?
S197 Member

Big car seat, no problem

I just got my new '06 GT, and there's no problem with the car seat. Other car's a minivan, and we've got a huge carseat for a 1 y/o - it's one of those that will convert and last until he's 6 or so. But it goes in just fine, behind either the driver or passenger, and I can slide the seats all the way back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m013690
I just got my new '06 GT, and there's no problem with the car seat. Other car's a minivan, and we've got a huge carseat for a 1 y/o - it's one of those that will convert and last until he's 6 or so. But it goes in just fine, behind either the driver or passenger, and I can slide the seats all the way back.
Hi all. New member here.

m013690, I'll have two car seats in the back of an '07 and one is the Cosco Alpha Omega which is one of those rear facing to 8-year old models like you have. Is there enough room behind the driver for the kid to move his/her legs when one of those are in the back on the driver's side? The one on the other side will be slightly smaller but not by much.

Thanks!
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggs32
Hi all. New member here.

m013690, I'll have two car seats in the back of an '07 and one is the Cosco Alpha Omega which is one of those rear facing to 8-year old models like you have. Is there enough room behind the driver for the kid to move his/her legs when one of those are in the back on the driver's side? The one on the other side will be slightly smaller but not by much.

Thanks!

If it is rear facing, I am wondering how you will even get the kid in there.

Ordered 4/26/05. Picked up June 11, 2005. 05 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, 5spd, Performance White, with red accent leather (ICAP), Shaker 500, IUP, active alarm, side airbag, spoiler delete. MODS: Baltimore Street Mods 10' red stripes and red rocker stripe. window tint. K & N aircharger. Pony Package fender emblems. Added 18" Polished Alum. Bullitts Hurst comp shifter
PONY Member
S197 Member

You may be out of luck on that. Because once the child hits a certain weight you need to turn the seat around to forward facing. I also have a pretty large seat for my daugher because she is so tall for her age (9 1/2 months and 30" already!). I already tried to see how it works forward facing, since she is close to the weight where I switch it around, and there is not much room. Although as someone already mentioned, while the rear facing configuration fits well into the seat, getting the little one into it is a puzzle to be sure. I am pretty much going to have to put my daugher in the rear behind the passenger seat and leave the seat forward for her legs, and then if mom is with us she'll have to sit behind me - that's not likely to happen as if we are all together we'll take the sedan. It's not all that often I need to take the little one in the Mustang anyhow.

Quote:
Hi all. New member here.

Thanks!

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Let me clarify a little more. Neither of the boys will be rear facing by the time I actually own the Mustang so fitting a rear facing seat isn't a problem. I'm concerned about whether or not the larger seat, the Cosco Alpha Omega, is going to be too big and not allow for enough leg room behind the driver's seat for the kid that's in it.

I have plenty of time to test it out at the dealer myself and if worse comes to worse I can always buy smaller seats to replace them. I'd like to avoid the latter though because they are really nice seats and they weren't cheap if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the help so far. I still have one more seat to buy and we were going to buy something similar to those we have already. If someone can show me that they don't fit well and recommend something that does I'm all for it.
PONY Member
S197 Member

I think I may have completely talked around an answer.

Anyhow, to your specific issue, I really doubt there will be that much room with a forward facing. I have the Britax Marathon which is a pretty good sized seat and in the forward facing orientation, I really needed to have the front seat folded down to give her any leg room.

I do not know how big the seat is you are looking at, but maybe with the name of my seat you can look it up and compare sizes.

Good luck!
Quote:
Let me clarify a little more. Neither of the boys will be rear facing by the time I actually own the Mustang so fitting a rear facing seat isn't a problem. I'm concerned about whether or not the larger seat, the Cosco Alpha Omega, is going to be too big and not allow for enough leg room behind the driver's seat for the kid that's in it.

I have plenty of time to test it out at the dealer myself and if worse comes to worse I can always buy smaller seats to replace them. I'd like to avoid the latter though because they are really nice seats and they weren't cheap if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the help so far. I still have one more seat to buy and we were going to buy something similar to those we have already. If someone can show me that they don't fit well and recommend something that does I'm all for it.

S197 Member

baggs32,

I don't find any problem with my little guy. He sits behind the passenger seat, but behind the driver shouldn't be much different.

Our baby seat is huge (I've seen the Alpha Omega one, and ours is about that size). As for leg room, I wish I could say, because my son is only 13 months, so his feet don't really hang over yet.

But, if you don't have to put your seat all the way back, I'd think there would be space. At least a little.

Hope that helps.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I'll be able to add more to the conversation this weekend, after I strap each one of our existing seats into the back of the new 07...

If neither one fits, then its off to Target to get the Graco Turbobooster Sport Convertible Car Seat...

07 GT Vista Blue, Auto, C&L CAI, 3.73 gears, Alternative Auto 93 Tune, 5% Tint, Stripes, 18x9 front/18x10 rears - SOLD

12 GT Black, 6-speed, brembos, 3.73 gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyppus
I'll be able to add more to the conversation this weekend, after I strap each one of our existing seats into the back of the new 07...

If neither one fits, then its off to Target to get the Graco Turbobooster Sport Convertible Car Seat...
Any results yet glyppus?
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I totally forgot...

I was having so much fun driving the car, I totally forgot about car seat results.

Yep, both car seats fit in fine, especially with the anchor points.

One was a Graco Comfortsport 5-point, the other a Cosco Eddie Bauer one we inherited from my parents after they moved to FL.

Wife, junior and I basically cruised all over S/E Michigan this weekend, and I think he loves it. I see him crane his neck to look out the front whenever I'm accelerating hard.

Now I just need to get a underseat protector to catch crumbs and keep the seats from getting dented too badly where the car seat rests on the Mustang seat.

07 GT Vista Blue, Auto, C&L CAI, 3.73 gears, Alternative Auto 93 Tune, 5% Tint, Stripes, 18x9 front/18x10 rears - SOLD

12 GT Black, 6-speed, brembos, 3.73 gears
S197 Member

Glyppus,

My wife and I designed one and made it for about $15 bucks. Just a thought if yours is into sewing at all. It was done with a gray fleece backing and a black vinyl front so it matches the leather interior of the car. Actually looks pretty nice when it's in there.

The advantage was that I made it so it runs all the way up the back of the seat instead of just covering the bottom part. There are so many buckles and metal pieces on these baby seats I was afraid of something catching on the leather and tearing at it.

I looked all over but just couldn't find any seat covers for baby seats that covered more than just the bottom cushion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page