Forward Facing Car Seat in the Back? - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyppus

I was having so much fun driving the car, I totally forgot about car seat results.

Yep, both car seats fit in fine, especially with the anchor points.

One was a Graco Comfortsport 5-point, the other a Cosco Eddie Bauer one we inherited from my parents after they moved to FL.

Wife, junior and I basically cruised all over S/E Michigan this weekend, and I think he loves it. I see him crane his neck to look out the front whenever I'm accelerating hard.

Now I just need to get a underseat protector to catch crumbs and keep the seats from getting dented too badly where the car seat rests on the Mustang seat.
How old is your son and does he have enough leg room to be comfortable for short trips of 5-30 minutes?

That Cosco EB seat you speak of is probably the same thing as our Cosco Alpha Omega as they are both made by the same company. The EB models are just a bit more plush in the seat but the base and shell are the same.

So do they fit down on the flat of the seat or are they suspended in the air between the two "humps" on either side of the flat part? Are you able to post a pic or two?

Glad to hear they fit. As you can tell I was a bit worried but now I'm looking forward to testing it out myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

m013690,

That make it yourself underseat protector sounds like a really cool idea, especially to match the interior. I know that the straps can do some damage...the second time I was taking one car seat out of the Mustang, one of the anchors swung out and DING! nice scratch on the door frame.

We got a nice vinyl one for our SUV from ?One Step Ahead? My wife was going to reorder another and I would probably need to cut it to fit, but maybe I can convince her to use ye old sewing machine instead....we'll see.

baggs32,

The car seats were flat in the bucket of the seat, although they did press on the edges of the Mustang seat to the point where if you keep it there for months and tie it down as hard as I do (no give), it will leave indents, hence one reason for an underseat protector.

The car seats went back to the SUV and the beater in the interim. I'll post some pics when we get the chance to drive around as a family again.....hopefully this weekend...weather should be sunny and warm.

07 GT Vista Blue, Auto, C&L CAI, 3.73 gears, Alternative Auto 93 Tune, 5% Tint, Stripes, 18x9 front/18x10 rears - SOLD

12 GT Black, 6-speed, brembos, 3.73 gears

Quote:
m013690,

baggs32,

The car seats were flat in the bucket of the seat, although they did press on the edges of the Mustang seat to the point where if you keep it there for months and tie it down as hard as I do (no give), it will leave indents, hence one reason for an underseat protector.

The car seats went back to the SUV and the beater in the interim. I'll post some pics when we get the chance to drive around as a family again.....hopefully this weekend...weather should be sunny and warm.
Thanks glyppus. I look forward to the pics.

FWIW we had a seat protector for our Ex-Escape as it had leather too. It was a hard rubber thing that covered the bottom of the seat and the seat back. I believe the brand was Lionheart or something like that and we bought it at Toys 'R' Us for like $15. It came in grey and tan IIRC.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Some pics for baggs32

Baggs,

Finally got the pics uploaded from our Sunday drive in the country...I can't believe I've put over 700 miles on the car in little over a week.

Anyway, first shows junior in the Eddie Bauer car seat, enjoying the new car smell. You can see he has room to stretch out his feet (he's a 2.5 year old), so I guess you can extrapolate what an older child might look like. The flip up tray was a kind of pain, as it kept hitting the ceiling when putting junior in and out, so we're going to stick with the GRACO seat in the Mustang. BTW, the passenger seat here is set for an adult about 5'5". Taller passengers would mean less space, of course.

Next two show the GRACO, as you can see, it rests inside the bucket. Only curved plastic at front impinges on the side cushions somewhat, but the underseat cover should handle that. I intentionally left the anchors loose so you could see the back of the seat.

Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eb.jpg
Views:	9598
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	18080   Click image for larger version

Name:	graco1.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	687.6 KB
ID:	18081   Click image for larger version

Name:	graco2.jpg
Views:	1360
Size:	680.8 KB
ID:	18082  

07 GT Vista Blue, Auto, C&L CAI, 3.73 gears, Alternative Auto 93 Tune, 5% Tint, Stripes, 18x9 front/18x10 rears - SOLD

Quote:
Baggs,

Finally got the pics uploaded from our Sunday drive in the country...I can't believe I've put over 700 miles on the car in little over a week.

Anyway, first shows junior in the Eddie Bauer car seat, enjoying the new car smell. You can see he has room to stretch out his feet (he's a 2.5 year old), so I guess you can extrapolate what an older child might look like. The flip up tray was a kind of pain, as it kept hitting the ceiling when putting junior in and out, so we're going to stick with the GRACO seat in the Mustang. BTW, the passenger seat here is set for an adult about 5'5". Taller passengers would mean less space, of course.

Next two show the GRACO, as you can see, it rests inside the bucket. Only curved plastic at front impinges on the side cushions somewhat, but the underseat cover should handle that. I intentionally left the anchors loose so you could see the back of the seat.

Hope that helps.
Wow! Thanks glyppus! Those are a big help. I know my wife would have called me crazy for doing what you did for me so I hope I didn't cause too much embarrassment. Our largest seat, the Cosco A/O is a good bit different from your EB seat but the base is similar so I have confindence now. Worst case I'll just buy something similar to the Graco and call it a day. I was most concerned about the seats being suspended between the humps and then having to "boost" them up with something like tightly rolled towels as the seat manufacturers recommend. I'd hate to have to keep removing them to clean them given all of the junk that the kids toss around.

How do you like the black cloth? I'm debating on saving some cash and getting the cloth rather than the leather. I prefer the grip of the cloth when cornering but I like the overall feel and availability of heated seats with the leather.

I noticed that junior is smiling. Does he do that every time you hit the gas?
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

No trouble at all....

I went with the cloth seats because our last SUV had leather and it was uncomfortable for me driving with shorts as it didn't seem to breath properly, although the leather would be much better for cleaning up liquid spills.

Every time I hit the accelerator, Junior smiles and cranes his head to see out the front. He's gotten in the habit of touching the front pony logo when he walks past and declaring "It's a Mustang." I guess I'm raising a fanatic from an early age.

S197 Member

Hey, on the question of leather vs. cloth...

I was always a fan of cloth, because it's cooler, supposedly, but when I had the chance to get the Mustang, I went all out because, well, it's a Mustang. So I ot the black charcoal leather.

It was no mistake. All I wear is shorts, and I don't stick, I don't slide around, and then of course, if anything spills, it cleans up easily. Just something to consider. The front seats have cloth on the sides, so I think they breathe very well, and never seem to get too hot. Also, the texture is not like typical leather I've seen before, and I don't stick at all. Actually, even compared to all the cloth seats I've had in the past, these are the most comfortable seats I've ever had.

Just my two cents, from a cloth-to-leather convert...
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Arrrgh

Arrrgh....why did you tell me that?????

I thought all leather seats would basically be the same, of course my other experience were with leather seats in a Suzuki XL-7 (kinda crappy and underpowered, but not my purchase).

Therefore, I intentionally went with the cloth instead....Now I'll forever be wondering, what if.....oh well .

S197 Member

Sorry, I was really just trying to help baggs32. Didn't mean to make you doubt.

It's a Mustang, that's all you need to remember...

Thanks guys. I've had leather in Ford vehicles before and it's good enough for me. I was just wondering what a cloth owner's opinion was of the cloth and it seems to be OK too. I still might pass on the leather just to save money and add other options instead. I'd really love to have the heated seats for the winters up here though.
S197 Member

Well, I do see where heated seats would be nice. Honestly, I think it's a 50/50 call. If it weren't for the fact that the only 5 speed, GT within 1500 miles happened to have leather when I bought it, I would probably have taken cloth too. But, I took what they had. I don't regret it, but I wouldn't regret it the other way either.

Cash is cash, plain and simple, and you have to decide what's more important. I was lucky enough to have a trade-in valued at $15 grand, so I had plenty to play with.

$15k is always good to have! I won't have anything near that as I'll be coming off of a lease. However I do qualify for X-Plan and will have some money to put down so it's going to be an order time decision I guess.
Apprentice

FYI..Babys-r-Us sells a seat protector by Prince Lionheart. Protects the the bottom & back with a built in kick pad for moving feet. We use Britax seats with no problems in the Jeep & RAM 1500 Quad Cab. Buying another Britax for the GT soon when I can seat my son forward facing.

"Safety Fast"

2008 Bullitt, #0546, Black
2005 GT Coupe, Performance White

I just bought an '06 GT on Thursday and both car seats fit just fine in the back. I was shocked that all four of us are perfectly comfortable in there.

Even the one I was worried about with the wide base fits fine. I'm happy camper now and thank everyone for their help and advice again!!!
J&D
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplayrayr
Good thing my Mustang has two child's seats in it.:thumbsup
Mine is in the front of the steering wheel!! Weeeeeeeeeeee

2005 GT Premium, windveil blue, silver GT-style painted stripes, BBK CAI and Shorty Headers, Cat-back Bassani exhaust system. SCT Performance Tune. 20" Shelby Razor wheels,14" eradi-speed rotors, Tokico DSpec shocks, steeda sportlite springs, BMR suspension bars.

Member MCOH
Member MCA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page