Forward Facing Car Seat in the Back? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Forward Facing Car Seat in the Back?

For those few Mustang owners with kids...hehe...

Has anybody successfully put a forward facing car seat in the back seat of the Mustang?

We have a minivan and a daily beater as the primary kiddie rides, but when the beater dies, I might need to drive junior around in the GT (BTW - Scheduled for build the week of 6/27! ). Can anyone suggest a brand of car seat that worked well for them in the Mustang?

I know there are anchors back there for car seats, but those back buckets look pretty small, plus I'd like to have some room left over for anybody in the passenger seat.

Any thoughts?

07 GT Vista Blue, Auto, C&L CAI, 3.73 gears, Alternative Auto 93 Tune, 5% Tint, Stripes, 18x9 front/18x10 rears - SOLD

12 GT Black, 6-speed, brembos, 3.73 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006

I take my 3 year old for rides all the time. Doesnt really work with the seat behind the driver, unless you want to be against the steering wheel, but works well behind the passenger seat. Still room for a passenger to be confortable. I use the Graco TurboBooster Sport Convertible Car Seat. I put in a folded hand towel below the seat on the side the the seatbelt buckles into to make it level.

Seat - http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0002D1FHC

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new stang owner
That's the same seat I have, and it works fine. My kid is 5, so the extra weight makes the carseat sit level without any need for towels. I only take my kids in it occasionally as well, hence the reason for no quarter window louvers.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006
S197 Member

i've got my 3.5 y/o girl strapped down on the middle hump in the back. you can still use the latch system too (inside latch on both sides). she sits up higher and is better protected from a side impact crash.

she goes when i hit the loud pedal
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

well, at least i aint the only one with car seats in the stang. my wife was making a comment two weeks ago when we first took our gt to the track. she thought it kind of strange when i blew threw the traps at 100 mph with a car seat firmly strapped in the back seat...... when ya think about it.... is kinda funny...

oh yeah, and the Evenflo convert/booster carseats seem to fit the best back there.... i have 4 different carseats and that is the one i prefer to use in the stang.... make sure you put a towel under them so you dont marr the leather....

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

My 5 yr old girl and my 16mo ols son go in the back all the time. For my son I have a Simpson Racing baby seat. I think it is made by Graco. I use the seatbelt to fasten it down, plus the 3 tie downs in the Stang. I still have decent room to drive and I'm 6'4"

Ordered 4/26/05. Picked up June 11, 2005. 05 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, 5spd, Performance White, with red accent leather (ICAP), Shaker 500, IUP, active alarm, side airbag, spoiler delete. MODS: Baltimore Street Mods 10' red stripes and red rocker stripe. window tint. K & N aircharger. Pony Package fender emblems. Added 18" Polished Alum. Bullitts Hurst comp shifter
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNOS
well, at least i aint the only one with car seats in the stang. my wife was making a comment two weeks ago when we first took our gt to the track. she thought it kind of strange when i blew threw the traps at 100 mph with a car seat firmly strapped in the back seat...... when ya think about it.... is kinda funny...

oh yeah, and the Evenflo convert/booster carseats seem to fit the best back there.... i have 4 different carseats and that is the one i prefer to use in the stang.... make sure you put a towel under them so you dont marr the leather....

Good idea on the towel, but not to burst your bubble but the back seat of the stangs are vinyl.

Ordered 4/26/05. Picked up June 11, 2005. 05 Mustang GT Premium Coupe, 5spd, Performance White, with red accent leather (ICAP), Shaker 500, IUP, active alarm, side airbag, spoiler delete. MODS: Baltimore Street Mods 10' red stripes and red rocker stripe. window tint. K & N aircharger. Pony Package fender emblems. Added 18" Polished Alum. Bullitts Hurst comp shifter
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006 Thread Starter
Apprentice
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Good info....thanks!

That is a lot of good info....I'm glad I'm not the only one whose Mustang needs to be both a fun car and a baby-mobile.

GTNOS - Just thinking about your car tearing down the drag strip with a baby seat in the back doubled me up laughing. Do you ever get any comments, like, "How much extra horsepower is THAT mod?"

07 GT Vista Blue, Auto, C&L CAI, 3.73 gears, Alternative Auto 93 Tune, 5% Tint, Stripes, 18x9 front/18x10 rears - SOLD

12 GT Black, 6-speed, brembos, 3.73 gears
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplayrayr
Good idea on the towel, but not to burst your bubble but the back seat of the stangs are vinyl.

ehh???!!!! what??!! me no think so. maybe some edge pieces or something of the like, but i know for a fact that the center section (with the perforations) is leather. and i am fairly sure that most of the surrounding sections are too. from my knowledge, the only vinyle or "leatherette" as they so affectionately call it is on the back and sides of the front buckets. the front portions of both front and rear are "leather trimmed seating surfaces"

someone correct me if i am wrong. and if i am bigplayrayr, than yes, you have bursted my bubble....

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyppus
That is a lot of good info....I'm glad I'm not the only one whose Mustang needs to be both a fun car and a baby-mobile.

GTNOS - Just thinking about your car tearing down the drag strip with a baby seat in the back doubled me up laughing. Do you ever get any comments, like, "How much extra horsepower is THAT mod?"

my friend asked me jokingly the first time he saw it in my stang if it came with the IUP.... as far as the HP question, no, but when the wife was mouthing off about it, i did tell the her that it probably helped with traction by putting some extra weight over the rear axle...

also glyppus, the towel also helps by being under the seat (and kid) if somthing gets spilled. i dont normally allow my kid to eat or drink in the stang, but on occasion, sometimes you dont have a choice these days. i learned real quick that wet due to saliva, squishy goldfish crackers are a real b---- to clean out of the perforations in the leather.....

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
ehh???!!!! what??!! me no think so. maybe some edge pieces or something of the like, but i know for a fact that the center section (with the perforations) is leather. and i am fairly sure that most of the surrounding sections are too. from my knowledge, the only vinyle or "leatherette" as they so affectionately call it is on the back and sides of the front buckets. the front portions of both front and rear are "leather trimmed seating surfaces"

someone correct me if i am wrong. and if i am bigplayrayr, than yes, you have bursted my bubble....

I am about 95% sure on the rear seat being vinyl. If you look at the brochure it says leather trimmed sport buckets. If you feel the surface it feels closer to the backs of the front seat than the leather seating surfaces.

I was even shocked that I had a 04 Ford Lariat Supercrew F150. The back seats in that were even vinyl. They have no bounds in trying to save a buck.

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplayrayr
I am about 95% sure on the rear seat being vinyl. If you look at the brochure it says leather trimmed sport buckets. If you feel the surface it feels closer to the backs of the front seat than the leather seating surfaces.

I was even shocked that I had a 04 Ford Lariat Supercrew F150. The back seats in that were even vinyl. They have no bounds in trying to save a buck.
surely not. the perforated part of the rear seat feels just like the perforated part of the front seat. and i have an 06 f150 supercrew, and the front and back seats all feel the same to me. if it is fake, its a good fake. if it is fake though, then damn you ford for being so cheap. guess ill have to buy the roush leather for my car...

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
surely not. the perforated part of the rear seat feels just like the perforated part of the front seat. and i have an 06 f150 supercrew, and the front and back seats all feel the same to me. if it is fake, its a good fake. if it is fake though, then damn you ford for being so cheap. guess ill have to buy the roush leather for my car...

A good way to tell is read the brochures on each vehicle. The F150 says it has leather trimmed front seating surfaces, and the Mustang says it has leather trimmed sport buckets. They do not mention the rear seats or tell you what they are.

PONY Member
S197 Member

A new Mustang with a child's car seat in it???

I'm telling you, this world is going to he11 in a handbasket......
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddellwo
A new Mustang with a child's car seat in it???

I'm telling you, this world is going to he11 in a handbasket......
Good thing my Mustang has two child's seats in it.:thumbsup

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page