Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 Mustang Talk (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-talk/)
-   -   Thoughts on buying a demo car? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-talk/61397-thoughts-buying-demo-car.html)

Stillborn 07-07-2006 02:49 PM

Thoughts on buying a demo car?
 
Hey guys, I was offered a really good deal on a demo car.. although, I turned it down because it was infact a demo car.. and I know how people beat the **** out of them. My dad seems to think I made the right choice, but a friend of mine says that I'm stupid.. and even if they did it is still under warrenty, but I have bad thoughts on a demo car. It's got 12,000$ on it..fully loaded Shaker 1000, etc..The thing is, all the other car's Ive looked at it in comparison are around 40,000$ [Must be nice to be in the USA and get a GT for like 24K. The cheapest New GT's [coupes] I can find here are like mid 30's - 40]. Did I make a stupid choice, or should I just go new or used with like 10,000 on it..but not a demo car.

Blade10 07-07-2006 02:56 PM

Well - I figure that whoever drove the demo car cant do anything to it I wouldnt - so I wouldnt be afraid of it. Another way of thinking is that all the "bugs"| have been worked out of it since it has been driven a bit. On the flip side, who knows if the break-in was done properly (unlikely) and that may effect the longevity of the engine.

Just my .02.


Blade

mrvandermey 07-07-2006 03:05 PM

451 Attachment(s)
My concern is your definiton of "demo car". When you say demo car, do you mean rental return or a demo car the dealer used to test drive potential customers? If it was a dealer demo and has about 12,000 miles on it, it may have been properly maintained with little or no hard driving. But if is a rental return, who knows what was done to the car. Even if it was maintained, the various drivers it had may have driven it hard. I would then be wary of such a deal. I will mention one thing, if cost is an issue to you, and from what you stat, getting anew one is not cheap where you are at, you may want to consider a deal like this. Remember, it is still under warranty, so you may still be good.

Stillborn 07-07-2006 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade10
Well - I figure that whoever drove the demo car cant do anything to it I wouldnt - so I wouldnt be afraid of it. Another way of thinking is that all the "bugs"| have been worked out of it since it has been driven a bit. On the flip side, who knows if the break-in was done properly (unlikely) and that may effect the longevity of the engine.

Just my .02.


Blade

A few points I though of are

- Think of all the people who cant drive standard who drove it
-Think the idiot teenagers who probably dropped the clutch from 5000RPM or were slamming gears in it.
-Who knows if the dealership changed the oil at 5K [it has 12000KM on it now]

The one that worried me most was the people who cant drive standard..they could **** up the tranny, right? and I am definetly going to have this car for a while, so how long the drivetrain lasts is very important.

Stillborn 07-07-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvandermey
My concern is your definiton of "demo car". When you say demo car, do you mean rental return or a demo car the dealer used to test drive potential customers? If it was a dealer demo and has about 12,000 miles on it, it may have been properly maintained with little or no hard driving. But if is a rental return, who knows what was done to the car. Even if it was maintained, the various drivers it had may have driven it hard. I would then be wary of such a deal. I will mention one thing, if cost is an issue to you, and from what you stat, getting anew one is not cheap where you are at, you may want to consider a deal liek this. Remember, it is still under warranty, so you may sitll be good.

Dealer Demo. It was used as a test car for possible buyers, but the sales people dont generally come with you so I just wonder how people drove it. If I knew it was broken in properly.. I'd be good.

Jenkinsbball 07-07-2006 03:35 PM

Save yourself the trouble and buy brand new. That's the reason I'll never buy a used car, ever, is because you're just buying someone elses problem. There's a reason that particular person sold that car off for a new one. Every person I've known that bought a used car had something wrong with it.

My friend Chris had his entire motor crash a month after he bought some supped up firebird. He had to fight two dealerships for two months to get his engine replaced. The dealership that he bought it from wouldn't fix it under warranty, even though he bought the highest most warranty and they told him at that time they would cover ANYTHING that happened to the car. When it came down to it, they said the problems were when before the car was sold to them, so they weren't responsible.

Save yourself the trouble... trust me.

mrvandermey 07-07-2006 03:51 PM

451 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenkinsbball
Save yourself the trouble and buy brand new. That's the reason I'll never buy a used car, ever, is because you're just buying someone elses problem. There's a reason that particular person sold that car off for a new one. Every person I've known that bought a used car had something wrong with it.

My friend Chris had his entire motor crash a month after he bought some supped up firebird. He had to fight two dealerships for two months to get his engine replaced. The dealership that he bought it from wouldn't fix it under warranty, even though he bought the highest most warranty and they told him at that time they would cover ANYTHING that happened to the car. When it came down to it, they said the problems were when before the car was sold to them, so they weren't responsible.




Save yourself the trouble... trust me.



I can not agree more. I do not buy used cars for the same reason. IMHO, a used car is just someone else's headache...no matter what the headache was (financial, problematic, piece-of-junk, etc). There is NEVER any way to tell how previous owner(s) maintained and drove the car. If you are going to keep this for a long time...then new is the only way to go. Hence why I went new and even paid a small premium, just to have new, becasue I intend on having this ride for some time.

STONECOLD 07-07-2006 05:05 PM

If it was just a dealer car how bad can it be? I mean come on be realistic, its a new car and even if it did get some spirited driving what damage could have been done??

Is the car that weak that were worrying about a couple of test drives?

If its a good deal I would seriously consider it.

stlwagon 07-07-2006 06:29 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by STONECOLD
If it was just a dealer car how bad can it be? I mean come on be realistic, its a new car and even if it did get some spirited driving what damage could have been done??

Is the car that weak that were worrying about a couple of test drives?

If its a good deal I would seriously consider it.

Agree... Am I reading correctly-- is it $12,000 or 12,000 miles??? A demo shouldn't be too bad. And I doubt if all those miles are just from demos. Sounds more like a dealer rep car or a salesman drove it for awhile.

Stillborn 07-07-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlwagon
Agree... Am I reading correctly-- is it $12,000 or 12,000 miles??? A demo shouldn't be too bad. And I doubt if all those miles are just from demos. Sounds more like a dealer rep car or a salesman drove it for awhile.


12000 Kilometers so like.. uhh.. 7500 miles? and it's an '05 [he originally told me it was an 06] so that could be why it has that many mile's on it. The thing I did notice though, is the deal isint nearly as good as he made it out to be. The car MSRP is 39,000$ now he is like, I can get it to you for about 34,000$ [which is actually more than he said before]. When I pointed out the ford family pricing thing they have in Canada, and that it was infact an '05 and not an '06, AND the fact that the car beside it was CHEAPER than what he offered me ['06 black coupe GT, 5-speed standard]. He pretty much didn't want to "deal" anymore. So I started asking another salesman what the best price he could do for me on the '06 was, and he was like "I could knock it down to about 30,000-ish$ we were told get rid of them all before the '07s come in" and the other guy flipped.. so the new sales guy handed me the keys to test drive it...and the other guy, who had tried to ripped me off grabbed the keys.. and went on this thing about how Ford doesnt let people under 25 testdrive Mustang's, and blah blah.. and stormed off.. meanwhile, when I got there.. he was just coming back off a testdrive with a girl who looked about my age [19-20], in a V8 GT. Anyways so I'm either going to find a new dealer or whatnot.. Why would I buy a car I cant test drive?

jbstangGT 07-07-2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillborn
12000 Kilometers so like.. uhh.. 7500 miles? and it's an '05 [he originally told me it was an 06] so that could be why it has that many mile's on it. The thing I did notice though, is the deal isint nearly as good as he made it out to be. The car MSRP is 39,000$ now he is like, I can get it to you for about 34,000$ [which is actually more than he said before]. When I pointed out the ford family pricing thing they have in Canada, and that it was infact an '05 and not an '06, AND the fact that the car beside it was CHEAPER than what he offered me ['06 black coupe GT, 5-speed standard]. He pretty much didn't want to "deal" anymore. So I started asking another salesman what the best price he could do for me on the '06 was, and he was like "I could knock it down to about 30,000-ish$ we were told get rid of them all before the '07s come in" and the other guy flipped.. so the new sales guy handed me the keys to test drive it...and the other guy, who had tried to ripped me off grabbed the keys.. and went on this thing about how Ford doesnt let people under 25 testdrive Mustang's, and blah blah.. and stormed off.. meanwhile, when I got there.. he was just coming back off a testdrive with a girl who looked about my age [19-20], in a V8 GT. Anyways so I'm either going to find a new dealer or whatnot.. Why would I buy a car I cant test drive?

Go find a legitimate dealer instead of this bunch of hustlers.

stlwagon 07-07-2006 08:29 PM

852 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbstangGT
Go find a legitimate dealer instead of this bunch of hustlers.

Agree. You can do better.

pumpdoc 07-07-2006 09:41 PM

Get as far away from those clowns as possible, you are on the right track on buying an '06 now that they are trying to make room for the '07s, be patiant nad get a great deal:eyepoppin

xxxxxxxxVintageV8 07-07-2006 09:52 PM

There appears to be a lot of yes and no opinions here. Let us assume it is a "Dealer" demo and not a rental car. A Honda I purchased several years ago was a Dealer Demo - it was the personal car of the Dealers mother and had dealer plates and never titled. He got her one every year.
-------------
So a Dealer demo was probably driven by dealer personnel and if test driven, a dealer rep. was most likely in the car. If the car was driven hard at some point, it was probably not for long and if it has no body damage, was probably not "ruined for life". NOTE - a lot of "probably's".
So if you think it is a good deal mechanically know this - the car is a year old so you should get the used price for the vehicle as it has depreciated a year, know that Ford gives the dealer additional discounts for "demo" cars, get new car warantee or additional warantee if you can and if all else is well - buy it.
AND DON'T FORGET TO GET THE FLOORMATS.

67Vert 07-21-2006 09:31 PM

Not all demo cars are bad; however, this dealership sounds like one you want to avoid. My wife bought a Ford Escort that was a demo. It was her high school graduation present from her folks. Put over 170,000 miles on it and finally got rid of it about 10 years later. Still ran great--it was just old. Literally, had no problems. Just changed fluids and did general repairs on brakes, shocks, tires, etc.
Of course, people test driving an automatic Escort don't rev it up and drop the clutch on every test drive like they might with a Mustang.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vB.Sponsors
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-2015 All Ford Enthusiasts Network ™.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome