New Mustang GT will run on 87 octane, huh?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Angry New Mustang GT will run on 87 octane, huh??

my a$$!!!!!!!! Dang it, Ford!!! WTF???!!! so if the owners manual says to use 87, and ONLY 87, why does my car sound like a friggin' diesel??!!! I have tried 87 octane gas from 3 different fueling stations.... and have more pinging than the "Electronic Battleship" game i had when i was a kid... so now i am moving up to 89 to correct this problem, and maybe 91 if 89 dont work. i understand its a piece of performance machinery, but seriously, if it wont run on 87, dont tell us it will!!!!!!

now stepping off of soapbox.....

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

"Ford Recommends BP"??!! whats that mean?!! Buncha Pingin'???!!

sorry, i tripped stepping off, bounced my unhappy a$$ up off the floor, and landed back on soapbox....

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I always run my GT on 87 octane and have never had the slightest ping. You may want to have it checked out. I've also been told to stay away from discount gas places like Racetrack and such. There's a corporate affiliation with BP, but beyond that there's no reason to use BP. We don't even have a BP around here.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006
S197 Member

I haven't heard any pinging myself, and I've got 800 miles. I did however, have the fill-up problem the other day, where the nozzle wouldn't pump more than about 40 cents at a time. I'm gonna give it another couple fill-ups before I worry too much, but no pinging.

It was at BP that I had the fill-up problem, so I wonder ...

I figured it was some sort of deal between ford and BP to recommend BP. I try to stay away from cheapos, but maybe I won't be so loyal to BP now.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I've been using nothing but 87 octane (Mobil, Shell & Spirit) from day one without the slightest hint of pinging!!

2006 RedFire GT Coupe, Premium, Dark Charcoal Leather, Shaker 500, 5-Sp Manual, Active Anti-Theft, IUP, 18" Polished Bullitts, Side Airbags.
Mods: WebElectric Sequentials, OEM Sirius Satellite Radio, OEM Plenum Cover, FRPP GTA Axle Backs, G-TECH PRO RR, C&L Racer CAI / X3 / Brenspeed 91 Tune, Ford Racing 'Bullitt' Strut Brace, Hurst Billet Shifter.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006
PONY Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

I run 88/87 octane from Chevron/ Texaco/ Phillips/ Sinclair without any problems at all.
Like was said stay away from the cheap stuff though.

05 GT Premium - Satin Silver - IUP - Dk Charcoal - 17 Bright Machine Cast Wheels - Shaker 1000 - Foaled June 05.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

I've run nothing but Chevron and Shell 87 in mine since new (2400 miles) with no problems. Runs very strong. I accidently filled it with 85 Chevron when i was in the mountains here in Idaho still no pinging problems. Stay away from the cheap stuff, the final refining process usually involves a horse!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

been buying Phillips 66, Conoco, and Total, not from the Quickiemart. not pinging now with 89 from Phillips 66. i will call dealer about it again monday, i mentioned it last time when i took it in for an oil change. service manager is real nice, he went and looked it up to see if there were any TSB's or any computer updates. there were none. he said that he would report it to ford through the dealer network, but until a new computer program comes from ford, not much they can do about it. he recommended stepping it up a notch on the octane...

we dont have shell, chevron, sinclair, or texaco here in OK. we have 7-11

no BP here either...and i didnt know 85 octane or any sub-87 existed. must be none here. its either 87,89,91.... a few stations have 93... or you can get 108, 112 or 120 at the track...

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006
PONY Member
S197 Member

When I filled the car in Stanley, Idaho, the Chevron choices were 85,87 or 89 octane. the elevation at Stanley is 6400 ft, so the actual air density is about 80% of sea level. Sea level is 14.7 PSI, the pressure at 6000 ft is 11.78 PSI. At altitude, you can back off the octane rating since the pressure in the cylinder is less than at sea level. The compression ratio stays the same, but the actual cylinder pressure decreases since the air is less dense. Since the pressure isn't as high in the cylinder, the propensity for pinging isn't as high.

As a rough rule of thumb, the barometric pressure decreases about 1 inch of Mercury for every 1000 feet of elevation. When the weather service gives you the current barometer reading, it is corrected for the altitude of the reporting station.
GT Member
S197 Member

Arco (BP) 87 with no problems..........................and the prices are the best also.....

'06---GT Deluxe 'Casper" IUP, shaker 500, auto, 17" bullitts, white/light graphite

retro '69 351 hood an scoop

"Hello America, you sick twisted freaks"
S197 Member

Here in Tampa - RaceTrack 87octane and have had no problems. 9,000 miles on car.
PONY Member
S197 Member

I've never had a pinging problem. It sounds like you have more than an octane problem. Time to take it in and have it hooked up.

2007 Mustang GT
Windveil Blue
S197 Member

I always use 93(since I have a 93 octane tune in my car) but saw on the news last night a report where they mentioned that all gas stations get their gas from the same refineries just the additives are different so no point paying more for "name brand" gas...I ran 87 prior to my tune and never heard one ping! The mechanic at the Harley dealer was telling me about the name brand gas using additives and it causing plugs to foul...
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chp2150
When I filled the car in Stanley, Idaho, the Chevron choices were 85,87 or 89 octane. the elevation at Stanley is 6400 ft, so the actual air density is about 80% of sea level. Sea level is 14.7 PSI, the pressure at 6000 ft is 11.78 PSI. At altitude, you can back off the octane rating since the pressure in the cylinder is less than at sea level. The compression ratio stays the same, but the actual cylinder pressure decreases since the air is less dense. Since the pressure isn't as high in the cylinder, the propensity for pinging isn't as high.

As a rough rule of thumb, the barometric pressure decreases about 1 inch of Mercury for every 1000 feet of elevation. When the weather service gives you the current barometer reading, it is corrected for the altitude of the reporting station.
I am glad I found this post. I am from Hailey, Id originaly, and I am going up there in a few days for a couple of weeks. So I guess I will use the 85 octane until I head back to Vegas, and then fill up on 91. If I remember right the choices in Hailey are 85, 91, 93.

06 GT Mustang premium redfire
O6 F-150 4X4 lariat smokestone
1965 Mustang 2+2 fastback
GT Member
S197 Member

Pinging? The only noise my engine makes is the knocking sound. I really don't know anything about cars, but I was told it was my pistons knocking, and the people who heard it told me it was too loud. This came from mechanics at the Toyota I worked at and my brother, who has built mustangs for over 10 years and is also a certified mechanic.

2019 GT - Velocity Blue with Black Accent Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page