Carmax.com, Any advice for the possible purchase of a used 1006 GT? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006 Thread Starter

Carmax.com, Any advice for the possible purchase of a used 1006 GT?

Carmax.com has a Tungsten 2006 GT vert. They claim it is a GT Premium, however, it lacks the leather seats and the Shaker 500. It does have the leather wrapped steering wheel and better auto shifter along with the aluminum accented dash.

The lack of the stereo and the leather seats does not bother me at all. I think the cloth seats with the vert could be a good feature in the long run, especially if the car is parked outside on summer days.

My major hang up with Carmax is the way they consistently do not know what the cars that they are selling, actually are. This stang is a Deluxe with some options, not a Premium. But, Carmax's lack of knowledge is not too different than a lot of dealers...who pretend to know more about the cars, and then come across condescending to well informed customers.

The prices are very tempting on Carmax, that is a pro.

Do any of you have any advice or war stories to share regarding Carmax?

Thanks!

PS: before buying anything, especially a used car, I would look it over, completely, inside and out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006 Thread Starter

2006, not 1006

2006 GT, not 1006

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Yeah, those 1006 Mustangs were not very reliable. My NADA book doesn't go back that far so I can't say what it's worth.

Seriously though, you can change anything you want on your order. I have a GT with no spoiler, leather and I specifically declined side airbags and the Skipper 500. I could have built a "Premium" with options and it would stil lbe a "Deluxe". However, I wanted a Deluxe, with leather, IUP and five speed and no dang spoiler.

You could order a Premium and "uncheck" all the boxes you don't want. Poof, you have a Premium that has all the stuff that comes with a Deluxe. I have an F-250 4x4 that is an XLT lariat. It has the four speed manual with the creeper gear, instead of OD and A/C. That's just about it. The only thing that makes it the lariat is that it has carpet instead of vinyl flooring The guy who ordered it, bought it for towing. He unchecked all the boxes for extra stuff he didn't want.

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006
S197 Member

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I bought a car from Carmax a couple of years ago. It had some mechanical problems but they fixed everything within the 30 day warranty. One good thing is they don't knowlingly sell anything that's been in a serious collision or flood damaged. If you do buy, recommend you still take to your mechanic for the once-over within the 5 day grace period. Then you can go back to Carmax with a list of things that need to be fixed under the limited warranty.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006 Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I guess I am the type that likes to make sure that all the "i's" are dotted and the "t's" are crossed. It is sort of a big deal in my profession, if you will call it that . Before I buy any car I will have an independant mechanic look it completely over.

On a side note, I have been looking and drooling over the stangs for a long long time now...but I am a bit of a puritan, and since I have a car that is still working fine, I have not let my desire override my cheap logic. But, if I can find a car that is exactly what I want, at a good price, I may have to let my desire rule. I should probably just buy a new one, when the time comes, but then, here comes the puritan in me, I would rather not be the first one to put a scratch in it...thus it will be more fun. (okay I am crazy, and cheap if you will.)

Another neat thing, and something I have been trying to sell the wife on, is the fact that carmax has stores all over the place. I think it would be a riot to find a stang in say Spokane, Wa., and then have to drive it cross country, back to Michigan. But, then again the mechanic issue would come into play.

Again, thanks for all of your help with the 1006 of the 2006 GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page