05/06 Manual <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym> and a Hurst short throw - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

05/06 Manual Trans and a Hurst short throw

For about 3 months now I have been driving with my Hurst short throw shifter and I have a few questions for fellow members with Hurst or other short throw shifters.

I do really love how short the throw is but what kind of gets to me is the feel through the shifter when changing into gears. Particularly from 1st into 2nd it just does not seem really "smooth" and you can really hear the change of gear as well. Nothing that sounds "bad" or any grinding sounds more along the line of a slight "clunk". Also I would estimate that it takes about twice as much pressure from your hand to move the shifter from gear to gear compared to stock. Is this normal or common? I only seem to hear it from 1st to 2nd but the amount of pressure needed is constant all the way through 5th. I have only noticed the pressure needed to change gears reduced after the transmission maybe warms more up via stepping on it and pushing some higher RPM's. Maybe I am paranoid and after hearing the testimonies about Royal Purple I want to switch but I am just concerned if the pressure needed to switch gears and the transmission noise is normal?

Thanks for any comments,
Daniel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

My Steeda Tri-Ax is very touchy too... I've had it half out and moved it around a few times to get it right. The loudness is from the solid materials and can be expected, there should be more pressure needed too BUT ony to get it through the gate for a 10th of an inch or so...

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
Completely normal... my shifter in this car is the same as my Hurst in my Z28. The added feel and clunkyness I would describe as notchy. To put a positive spin on it I would say it provides more feel. Yes it requires more force over stock, the shorter through gives up some leverage.
Everythign you desribe is what you want form a short through, unfortunately the way the shifter is mounted in the car you are goign to get noise.

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

like kyle and KJ said, its normal. short throws require more shifting effort and are notchy and sometimes loud. mine doesnt seem to be louder or more clunky to me, but not all stangs are created equal. i love my shifter, i can actually feel the gears, with the stock one, you could try to toss it into 3rd when you were getting on it, and it might land in 3rd, or it might not. the hurst lands in 3rd every time, perfectly....:eyepoppin

2006 Tungsten GT 5 speed -Hurst | C & L CAI, | Predator running 91 torque tune (91 race for track)-BAMA. | MAC Boomtubes | FRPP 4.10s|Kaenan 3in cowl hood.

2006 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 Black- 5.4, Hellbent Steel 2.5 level with 35x12.5x20 toyo m/ts on blk XD Hoss wheels, roll up tonneau, Gotts CAI, predator 91 performance tune.

Wifes Ride: 2013 Explorer XLT 2.0 Ecoboost. Stock as stock can be, but hey... on the bright side... she has a turbo!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Yeah I would agree about 2nd to 3rd. It's almost like the thing is spring loaded, just wants to go there compared to the stock shifter. Thanks for the info, eases my mind. Any advice and where to go to have the tranny fluid exchanged for Royal Purple? Also how much new fluid do I need to get to fill it up again?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
I would think you could do it in your driveway, but if you want someone else to do it, I bet any tranny shop would be able to take care of it.

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

A shop will do it for about $20. I think you need 4 qts?

Now, stupid Q, what does mesh DO? I know allot of Stangers from a long time back, me included was using GMs synchro mesh. I also know Royal Purple had tranny fluid but now I have read that they have mesh too...?? Is it the same fluid or do they have a new(?) product out? And if so, how does it compare to the 'classic GM stuff'?

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page