How to check tranny fluid level? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006 Thread Starter
V6 Member
S197 Member

How to check tranny fluid level?

Ok so I have an 06 and its an Automatic. There is no Fluid dipstick and the manual says that the tranny doesnt use up fluid and all you have to do is replace the fluid and filter. Question is how do you add fluid in the car if you need to after a fluid and filter change. Suppose you drain all the fluid from the pan, where will the new fluid be poured into? Id there some type of easy access filler somewhere near the tranny?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I had the same question about my 05 GT. The answer is:

Warm it up to operating temp (90 C, I think.)

Lift it up, keeping it level.

Pull the plug in the bottom of the trans. It's not a drain plug, it's at the bottom of a tube that sticks up inside. Some fluid will spill out because it sloshes in as you drive.

Now squirt A/T fluid up the tube into the trans until it overflows and runs back down. It will stop spilling back out when the fluid is level with the top of the tube.

I guess it's almost fool proof, but sure is going to be a PITA without a lift.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006
GT Member
S197 Member

I suppose some engineer stayed up nights to think of that one. What a beautiful setup.
Now suppose you are 500 miles away from home (like I was in my old car) and you have a slow A/T seal leak.
Get the picture.
Of course I bought a few quarts of A/T fluid and added as needed until I got home and had the money to get it fixed.

With this picture, what the heck do you do?
Especially if you need to save the money to get it fixed.

But then again, manuals never had a dipstick, but never really requires maintenance.

To few to mention, actually to lazy to
01 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Silver (His Daily)
05 Mustang V6 Coupe, 5 sp - Redfire (Her Toy)
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006
S197 Member

I've blown two Ford transmissions in my '98 E350 V10. Last time was a few weeks ago, two hundred miles from home on vacation. Total bill to rebuild: $3,793. I've always watched the fluid like a hawk (for whatever godd it has done me).

With Ford doing dumb stuff like this, I sure am glad I bought that extended warranty for the Mustang with 1st day car rental.

This place had a price less than half what my dealer wanted: http://www.fordwarrantys.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M.
I had the same question about my 05 GT. The answer is:

Warm it up to operating temp (90 C, I think.)

Lift it up, keeping it level.

Pull the plug in the bottom of the trans. It's not a drain plug, it's at the bottom of a tube that sticks up inside. Some fluid will spill out because it sloshes in as you drive.

Now squirt A/T fluid up the tube into the trans until it overflows and runs back down. It will stop spilling back out when the fluid is level with the top of the tube.

I guess it's almost fool proof, but sure is going to be a PITA without a lift.
Your're not serious...are you? If so then this is the dumbest idea since the Fiesta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page