05-09 Aftermarket Radio wiring - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 66Sprint200
05-09 Aftermarket Radio wiring

Ok, I searched the forums but couldn't find a thread that helped me. I just got a nice Pioneer headunit (AVH-X3500BHS, bluetooth, sirius radio, HD radio). I'm trying to wire it using Metra 70-5521 (because I have a Shaker 500 with the amps). The main harness wasn't a problem. Now I'm on to the subs. How does the smaller Amp harness wire up? It has the 2 RCA plugs which are self explanatory, but it also has 2 blue wires with a white stripe. I also bought this because I was told I need this to avoid the "pop" when I turn on the stereo. Axxess AFDI-5V 12-volt to 5-volt converter ‚ÄĒ eliminates the turn-on "thump" in Ford-built vehicles with amplified systems at Crutchfield.com. I just want to make sure I have it all together right. Thanks guys, Michael.

1966 Mustang Sprint 200 "Oliver"... factory fog lamps, factory rally pac, off the road for restoration.

2005 Mustang 4.0 litre... Airaid CAI, Honeycomb taillamp panel, more mods to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014
Rookie

Here is a nice write up on a aftermarket unit. Just watch out for his axxess instructions as they are backwards.

Alpine IVA-W205 & Lorex SG4933R rear camera install (w/pics) - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

I just installed a 2500 in mine last week. You can twist the 2 blue white together with the pioneer harness blue/white.

2007 Vista Blue GT Convertible 5 spd, leather, Pioneer HU with back up cam, FR500S axle back
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member

Thank you. I'm excited to get it in the car and see how it works. The one think I'm curious about is that the Pioneer head unit has an orange wire for dimmer, but I've been told our Mustangs don't. So how does the radio on our 05-09s dim with the interior lights?

1966 Mustang Sprint 200 "Oliver"... factory fog lamps, factory rally pac, off the road for restoration.

2005 Mustang 4.0 litre... Airaid CAI, Honeycomb taillamp panel, more mods to follow.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2014
Rookie

There is an orange wire with the metra harness, no worries. It all works awesome...turns off automatically when you open the door etc....

2007 Vista Blue GT Convertible 5 spd, leather, Pioneer HU with back up cam, FR500S axle back
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member

Got it installed the on Friday and its fantastic. Its the Pioneer AVH-3500BHS. It has Sirius satellite radio (haven't signed up yet), Bluetooth calling and Bluetooth music streaming (been using it to stream Pandora), built in Pandora (only works with iPhone/iPod, I have a Samsung Galaxy), usb input, DVD playing. And no annoying thump when I turn it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140119_165642.jpg
Views:	2280
Size:	605.2 KB
ID:	307106  

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014
Rookie

" thumbs up "

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014
Rookie
S197 Member

The install looks clean. Nice job!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member

Thanks guys. Sorry about the sideways pic (cell phone was feeling rebellious). It's a great headunit, and the features are nice. It has HD radio, Sirius Satellite (seperate module, but came with mine), Pandora control (iPhone/iPod only), USB input, GPS (seperate module, didn't buy yet), and Bluetooth calling and music streaming. I've felt much better about being able to keep both hands on the wheel and talk, not taking my eyes off the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page