First Shelby Examination - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

First Shelby Examination

A Shelby GT500 parked next to me last night at our local downtown cruise. I had a chance to examine it close up. I have to tell you I'm not impressed. It was a Torch Red coupe with no stripe package. When it first pullled in we thought it was a clone. After ascertaining it was the real thing I talked to the owner. She let me open the hood - I have to say that hood is big time heavy. I like the functional extractor vents but it's way overweight. The supercharger looks tiny - Saleen's has more style. The plating on the fuel rails was so thin you could see the copper underplate in spots and the brake resevoir is typical Ford - leaking already. It had the dark dash kit - just looked like a plain black interior. The padded armrests are a good addition. The seats are stitched with the Cobra emblems and look OK. The gage cluster is cool. The fake gas cap is brushed aluminum and looks like something off of a Toyota - real cheap. The black painted lower moldings make it look like a sixer except for the cool diffuser and the rear wing is killer. All-in-all not worth the $20K over sticker mark-up they paid. Most of the car guys at the cruise commented that my car looked better. I guess I won't be trading up anytime soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006
MACH I Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2horseowner
A Shelby GT500 parked next to me last night at our local downtown cruise. I had a chance to examine it close up. I have to tell you I'm not impressed. It was a Torch Red coupe with no stripe package. When it first pullled in we thought it was a clone. After ascertaining it was the real thing I talked to the owner. She let me open the hood - I have to say that hood is big time heavy. I like the functional extractor vents but it's way overweight. The supercharger looks tiny - Saleen's has more style. The plating on the fuel rails was so thin you could see the copper underplate in spots and the brake resevoir is typical Ford - leaking already. It had the dark dash kit - just looked like a plain black interior. The padded armrests are a good addition. The seats are stitched with the Cobra emblems and look OK. The gage cluster is cool. The fake gas cap is brushed aluminum and looks like something off of a Toyota - real cheap. The black painted lower moldings make it look like a sixer except for the cool diffuser and the rear wing is killer. All-in-all not worth the $20K over sticker mark-up they paid. Most of the car guys at the cruise commented that my car looked better. I guess I won't be trading up anytime soon.
Come on! get one and finish off the stang hattrick

2005 GT coupe
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Sounds like these things should cost the same as the old Terminators.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006
S197 Member

Yea why the hell are the lower mouldings black? That is the worst feature of the car, it just screams V6. I kind of like that the vents inside are brushed aluminum rather than plastic 'chrome' like the GT's, doesn't look as tacky. But I don't like how the whole interior is black, quite drab. I don't even like the wheels much the 18" Bullitts are way nicer. Overall I'm not impressed with the look of the car and the disappointing numbers make it even worse. If I was going to drop that kind of cash on a car it would be C6 all the way.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

The vent rings are aluminum and the door pulls are too. The entire pull - it's not a cover like the normal upgrade package. The flippers in the vent are black like my no option car. The ride height seems even taller than normal if that's possible. I think it's because of the black lower moldings. They should have come with a suspension drop from the factory. The exhaust looked and sounded like stock GT mufflers. The owner purchased it out of Michigan and had it shipped. He said he has one on reserve at the local dealer that he is going to let go. The local guy is marking it up $35K.

If I do the "hat trick" I think I'll go for the Grabber Orange Parnelli Jones/Saleen.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2horseowner
The vent rings are aluminum and the door pulls are too. The entire pull - it's not a cover like the normal upgrade package. The flippers in the vent are black like my no option car. The ride height seems even taller than normal if that's possible. I think it's because of the black lower moldings. They should have come with a suspension drop from the factory. The exhaust looked and sounded like stock GT mufflers. The owner purchased it out of Michigan and had it shipped. He said he has one on reserve at the local dealer that he is going to let go. The local guy is marking it up $35K.

If I do the "hat trick" I think I'll go for the Grabber Orange Parnelli Jones/Saleen.
Personally I think the door pull and steering wheel trim style should have also been used around the vents and gauge cluster on the GT's. I agree that the Shelby should have been dropped about 1.5" from the factory why must Mustangs always be so damn high. Also I remember reading in an article (car and driver perhaps?) that the GT exhaust actually sounds better than the GT500 ...interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page