So she's all fixed up now...but... - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

So she's all fixed up now...but...

I went over to the body shop this (late) afternoon to pick up the car (if you don't recall I made a stupid mistake and dented/scratched the car on my garage door while attempting a reverse park). So the car looks perfect now, you would never be able to tell anything happened BUT, that is no longer the issue. The first thing I noticed when I approached the car is that my shorty antenna was no longer a shorty antenna, it is now just a stub, ie broken. I say to the guy 'why is my antenna broken?' he says 'what? are you sure it wasn't like that before?' I say 'of course it wasn't like that' so anyway, not a HUGE deal, I just paid him $30 less because of that.

So then I proceed to make a closer inspection of the work that was done and I noticed something else, my rim has been scratched, or more like scraped around the edge, about 2 inches in length. Now I know that I didn't do this myself. So I say 'why is the rim scratched?' and he obviously says that there was no way they did it and that there are no curbs or anything that it couldve been scraped on. But the funny thing is that there was white gravel dust on the rubber right where it was scratched, and the road surface in the lot in front of the shop is that same type of gravel. Anyway I didn't want to make a huge issue out of it as its not THAT big of a deal so I paid him and left. But now that I took the car it's starting to get on my nerves and I can only think about that scrape/gouge on the rim, do you think it's too late to go back and say something, should I just forget about it? Damn BS, I take the car in to get a dent fixed and it comes back with no dent, a broken antenna and a scraped rim.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006
Apprentice
S197 Member

Dude that is a shame. How can you prove they did this though? Maybe they were cheaper than other places, but don't take the same care as a more expensive place? Do we say, let the buyer beware? It's not fair of course, no matter the price you paid. Nothing gives them the right to mistreat your baby.("No one puts baby in a corner!").

We bought a second Mustang not two months ago- an 06 v6 vert, and wouldn't you know it two of the rims already have the side edge scratch, just as you described it! I am not happy, but my wife (who drives it) doesn't have any idea how it happened, and her lack of concern is somewhat disappointing. Much like what you faced at the body shop. So what I decided was that after my tires wear out on the 05 V8 Mustang, I am going to replace the two scratched rims on the v6 which has the same wheels with the GT wheels(which will stay perfect, knock on wood, or steel or whatever), and I will get bigger, better wheels on the GT! Now even if I never do this, it made me feel better to know that I have a plan, and that it doesn't have to be like that forever.

08 Roush 427R GT Torch Red Premium
Painted Side Mirror Covers
100% Roush synthetic oil
06 V6 Vert Premium w/Pony Package
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006
nghtrnnr

thats the terible thing with body shops...back when i hit that cat and broke the front bumper cover i had to buy a new bumper cover and then shop all over for a guy who would paint the cover and then install it once it was dry while i waited....had to look long and far cause everyone wanted me to leave the car and i said nah...i'm just leavin the cover...anyway...the terrible thing is that while i was waiting for them to install it...i see a maxima pull up..no big deal ...guy says they were test drivin it when i said it looks good...another guy walkin by with a box dents the door....manager yells at him...then fixes it....point is...they can do anything they want to the car and fix it before you see it..thats why i'm never more than 10 ft away from my car if its in any shop...i'll wait for 8 hours in the same spot....drives em crazy...they'll keep askin if i wanna go grab a bite to eat...i'll just sit starin at the car...i mean...how do you break an antenna? was the scratched rim under the antenna? could they have done damage to that entire area and fixed it? hmmm

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006
S197 Member

scrapes on the rim? sounds like someone cut a corner too close and the concrete scraped the rim(s).
I guess what you do when you bring a car in is to do a physical inspection with the people and do it again when you pick it up. Although we / you may be taking care of the car, someone is driving them. What concerns me, is if they ever have an accident, I do not care, it will be a mess - you're insurance or theirs? And if someone was ever hurt?
It may just pay when the car needs to be repaired, you just buy a new one.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I'm glad you got the dent fixed and you can't see it. It's worth having it done professionally. The antenna would've pissed my off. As for the rim, as meticulous as I am with the car I managed to put about a 2" scrape on the edge of the rim at a bank drive up window. I keep my car in the garage under a cover. It's never seen rain, and still only has 5000 miles on it after 14 months. I look at wheels as the part of the car that's going to take the most abuse after the tires. Someday, they'll probably be replaced. I managed to clean mine up with a flat file followed by several progressively finer grades of sandpaper, finishing up with 3000 grit wet/dry, and finishing compound. You can hardly tell I scraped it. Of course, then I hit a rock and chipped the silver paint on one of the spokes. Luckily it wasn't my expensive paint job. Back to the auto store for touch-up paint.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006
nghtrnnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageV8
scrapes on the rim? sounds like someone cut a corner too close and the concrete scraped the rim(s).
I guess what you do when you bring a car in is to do a physical inspection with the people and do it again when you pick it up. Although we / you may be taking care of the car, someone is driving them. What concerns me, is if they ever have an accident, I do not care, it will be a mess - you're insurance or theirs? And if someone was ever hurt?
It may just pay when the car needs to be repaired, you just buy a new one.
huh? wa? dont understand? are ya sayin he needs a new car?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtrnnr
thats the terible thing with body shops...back when i hit that cat and broke the front bumper cover i had to buy a new bumper cover and then shop all over for a guy who would paint the cover and then install it once it was dry while i waited....had to look long and far cause everyone wanted me to leave the car and i said nah...i'm just leavin the cover...anyway...the terrible thing is that while i was waiting for them to install it...i see a maxima pull up..no big deal ...guy says they were test drivin it when i said it looks good...another guy walkin by with a box dents the door....manager yells at him...then fixes it....point is...they can do anything they want to the car and fix it before you see it..thats why i'm never more than 10 ft away from my car if its in any shop...i'll wait for 8 hours in the same spot....drives em crazy...they'll keep askin if i wanna go grab a bite to eat...i'll just sit starin at the car...i mean...how do you break an antenna? was the scratched rim under the antenna? could they have done damage to that entire area and fixed it? hmmm
I figured this place would do a great job and not damage anything because it was recommended to me by a friend of the family who restores old muscle cars, incl Mustangs. The guy I know also met me at the shop when I originally took the car in so the owner of the place knew that I wasn't just some kid who found the place from the phonebook. The owner of the place seemed like a genuine car enthusiast who would treat the car like his own and said that he would be the only one working on the car because he knew how important it was. When I spoke to him on the phone before I picked it up he said its perfect and was talking about how much he loves the car and how he never parked it outside but always left it inside the shop so it wouldn't get rained on, etc.

The rim that is scraped is at the back on the side where the dent was, and obviously the antenna is at the front so I have no clue how they managed to break the antenna. It's as if someone broke it intentionally, I mean how the hell could you accidently break an antenna? And what pisses me off is that they obviously KNOW that they broke the antenna but said nothing and tried to pretend it was already like that. I would have a lot more respect for the place and the owner if when I got there he came up to me and said "sorry but we broke the antenna by mistake, I will cover the cost of it" instead of acting oblivious.

As for the rim, I'm going to tell my friend (the guy who showed me the place) and see what he has to say about it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006 Thread Starter
S197 Member

Good news, I just spoke to my friend and he said that he inspected the car before they started working on it and there were no scrapes on the rims before, not that I'm saying it was a possibility but its good to have him on my side. He said he's going to call the guy and we'll go over there and get it fixed so that's good news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page