Dry-Flo filter for CAI - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Dry-Flo filter for CAI

I intend to install an Airaid CAI, but I don't want to use the oiled type filter because of the potential for the oil to foul the MAS.
Where can I buy the Dry-Flo type ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014
Sean Reilly

You can get "Dry" replacements from AEM, or AFE Filters.....What Model Year Stang are you Speaking of?....I ask because all of the Newer MAF's (Cartridge Style) are No where near as susceptible to Light Oil Contamination, or are as Delicate as the "Older" (Pre 2005-MY) Hot-Wire MAF's were Gene.....

Sean.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

For 2005 GT V8 w/ manual.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014
Sean Reilly

The Oiled Filter that comes with that "Airaid" CAI Setup is just fine
If you are Really that concerned, Check with Airaid to see if they offer a Dry filter with your setup....But just to let you know, I have been running Oiled K&N Filters in my last 8 Stangs without issue...

Sean.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

each airaid intake for the mustang comes in 3 configuration with different air filters. You just have to order the part number you want. They have the red oiled filter option, a red non-oiled filter, and a blue filter (can't remember if it is oiled or not). The oiled is the cheapest, and it is what I ordered for my car.

This is what I got on my car: Airaid 450-304 Intake System - Performance Parts

This is the same intake with a non-oiled red filter: Airaid 451-304 Intake System - Performance Parts

Same one with non-oiled blue filter: Airaid 453-304 Intake System - Performance Parts

If you look at the part numbers from Airaid a 450- part number is an oiled red filter, a 451 is a non-oiled red, and a 453 is a non-oiled blue

The above links are for the "Race" versions of the intakes (requires a tune), you can get the same ones that have an insert that does not require a tune. I think the numbers on those are 450-172, 451-172, 453-172.

2008 Mustang GT Deluxe, Black, Manual Transmission, Black Cloth Interior
Show: Katzkin Leather Interior, Matte Black 10" Stripes, NXT Step Performance Axlebacks, Pypes M80 Mufflers (mid mounted), CDC Sequential Tail Lights, 14" Shorty Antenna, Ford OEM Plenum Cover, Ford Semigloss Black Painted Valve Covers, Leather Wrapped OEM Steering Wheel
Go: Airaid Race CAI, BAMA Tune, J&M Lower Control Arms, JLT Oil Separator
Coming Soon: Motive 4.10 gears
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014
GT Member

If you get the dimensions on the filter size you can order one from summit or jegs. They're honestly about the same price almost anywhere you look, Summit makes it nice to look that sort of thing up because you can specify every dimension.

I ordered an AFE synthetic media filter for my C&L Racer. I don't like oiled gauze filters, they let in a LOT of fine dust.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

But I thought the purpose of the oil was to trap the fine stuff that would normally pass thru the orifices in the gauze ?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014
GT Member

If that's what it's supposed to do, then it doesn't do it very well! Cotton gauze filters still end up with pretty big holes in them even when they're oiled.

I've had two different vehicles that I had oiled cotton gauze filters on, and BOTH had a layer of fine dust on the inside of the intake tube when I took it off to clean the filter.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghunt View Post
If that's what it's supposed to do, then it doesn't do it very well! Cotton gauze filters still end up with pretty big holes in them even when they're oiled.

I've had two different vehicles that I had oiled cotton gauze filters on, and BOTH had a layer of fine dust on the inside of the intake tube when I took it off to clean the filter.
Cotton filters are designed to be less restrictive and increase air flow not to filter better. The are going to let more particles through which is why they use oil to help compensate and trap fine dust particles that would normally be caught in a paper filter.

If you use a cotton filter you should expect to clean your throttle body and MAF once in awhile. It's a trade off for a more efficient intake system.

If your anal about filtering, paper filters are always going to be more effective.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2008 Triple black Convertible GT Premium, Auto
Charcoal premium wheels, Appearance and comfort packages
Roush CAI, Bama Tune, FRPP axle backs.
Steeda strut brace, Honey comb rear deck lid, Sequential tail lights, Tail light frames, MMD side scoops, MMD styling bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page