will switching my stock mufflers with flowmaster 40s sound better? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

will switching my stock mufflers with flowmaster 40s sound better?

I've always been a huge fan of flowmasters....i was looking to get teh flow masters axleback for my 06 gt and i love the sound clip on - on AM...but reading some of the reviews they say its just 2 flow master 40 mufflers + tips for 400$.

so if i just replaced my stock mufflers with flowmaster 40s and kept my stock tips would it sound nice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Flowmasters sound great. I worked with a guy that had Flowmasters on his 2012 gt. cs. I have gt 500 on mine (2012 gt also) He complimented the sound on mine and said he loved the sound. I also thought his sounded great too. Flowmasters were a little louder. Not much. GT 500s were cheaper. As for tips they come already on the axel backs so no reason to change them. Also the bigger diameter on Flowmasters looks way better (4 inch tips) vs. (stock is 3 inch)

2012 GT coupe 401a mt82, 3:73, Brembo, D1SC Procharger, BOSS intake, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni yellows, Steeda bump steer, Steeda adjustable panhard rod, Vossen 10.5 +45 offset with 305 35 20 Cooper Zeon rs3-s
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yes, they will sound better but not buy a lot. Same tone but a little louder. If you want it a lot louder you may want to look at other options. I went to a single chamber race muffler because dual chambers weren't gettin it done for me. When I get on it, people are hurting their necks turning to look. Haha.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014
Global Moderator
Mustang II Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to heavy metal
Welcome to the site!!

Cherish those around you,for at the blink
of an eye,they can be gone.

AFM GLOBAL MODERATOR
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedij0e View Post
Flowmasters sound great. I worked with a guy that had Flowmasters on his 2012 gt. cs. I have gt 500 on mine (2012 gt also) He complimented the sound on mine and said he loved the sound. I also thought his sounded great too. Flowmasters were a little louder. Not much. GT 500s were cheaper. As for tips they come already on the axel backs so no reason to change them. Also the bigger diameter on Flowmasters looks way better (4 inch tips) vs. (stock is 3 inch)
I was looking at just getting the mufflers from an autoparts store and keeping the stock tips (it would cost 180$ compared to 400$ for the axleback kit which is the same mufflers with the 4" tips) - would that make it not sound as good? - you make a good point though, them 4"tips could give me some +aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandGT View Post
Yes, they will sound better but not buy a lot. Same tone but a little louder. If you want it a lot louder you may want to look at other options. I went to a single chamber race muffler because dual chambers weren't gettin it done for me. When I get on it, people are hurting their necks turning to look. Haha.

They sound perfect to me on the sound clips - or is it because they have the 4" tips? if i just replace the mufflers and keep the stock tips will they not sound good?

thanks heavy metal!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGT View Post

They sound perfect to me
And that's all that matters. As far as the tips, it would be logical that if you went down to a 2" tip it would change the sound. So you would think going to a 4" would add something to it. I still have my stock 3 inch. Someone who's done that swap should be along soon then we'll both know. Haha.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014
GT Member

The tips on these cars are so short they do nothing to change the sound. If you like the sound of the 40's, get em and have a muffler shop weld them in place of the factory mufflers.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
If it were me I would not mess with that. I would do the bolt in. Unless you do the welding it will cost more to transfer tips and you would need brackets welded to the right location. Its not extremely hard but just sounds like more work then needed. GT 500 mufflers, pype bombs, are cheap flowmasters slightly more. Also if you don't like the sound you will have butchered your stock piping. Just my 2cents.

2012 GT coupe 401a mt82, 3:73, Brembo, D1SC Procharger, BOSS intake, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni yellows, Steeda bump steer, Steeda adjustable panhard rod, Vossen 10.5 +45 offset with 305 35 20 Cooper Zeon rs3-s
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2014
Apprentice

I had Flowmaster 40's welded to stock axleback piping and reused the stock tips. I liked how it looked stock but louder. Let me find a video and I'll upload it.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy06 View Post
I had Flowmaster 40's welded to stock axleback piping and reused the stock tips. . . . . .
does all that really cost LESS than buying the complete axle-back kit and bolting it up yourself?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Apprentice

Sorry I thought I had a video but I changed them out for Mac's 2 years ago and all my videos from then are on my old phone.

It was cheaper. $60-70 each for the mufflers, $60 each to weld them up - tips, hangers, and all. Fit was perfect since the axleback pipes were never removed and the mufflers were held up on a stand then welded in place. Better fitting that way than any cat back or axle back I've installed on any vehicle. Only con would be the unpainted aluminized mufflers started to rust in the typical areas Flowmasters rust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page