2007 GT Shifting question - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to basicstang
is buying the stick GT worth the hard shifing or should I just get an automatic? I learned how to drive in cars with sticks but my 01 stang is auto w/ overdrive. If I get another I don't wanna be stuck in a parkin lot learning. I'm looking for an 03-05 but if the shifting is as bad as you say maybe I should cop out? But will I miss much power in a GT w/ auto and overdrive?

basicstang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

S197 Member

If you want the stick, get it. I had only known how to drive stick about a week and a half before buying mine, and I did fine. Never missed a gear or ground one, and no other problems either. Just take your time, slow down on ths shifting while you get the hang of it, and no trouble. same goes for the original poster, too.

Slow down, get the hang of it, it'll come. I found that because the stick springs to centered, if I push it forward out of 2nd and lightly reduce my hand pressure, it'll get right under 3rd to where I can just push forward without having to search for it. And I get into 3rd pretty quickly now.

PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedz Pony
If you want the stick, get it. I had only known how to drive stick about a week and a half before buying mine, and I did fine. Never missed a gear or ground one, and no other problems either. Just take your time, slow down on ths shifting while you get the hang of it, and no trouble. same goes for the original poster, too.

Slow down, get the hang of it, it'll come. I found that because the stick springs to centered, if I push it forward out of 2nd and lightly reduce my hand pressure, it'll get right under 3rd to where I can just push forward without having to search for it. And I get into 3rd pretty quickly now.
Exactly if you don't search for third and let the springs center the shifter for you, you will be right under third. It took me a while to realize that though.

Silver '05 Premium Convertible,5 Spd Mnl,IUP, C&L CAI, Bassani Axle Backs, Predator 91 Octane Tune, Hurst Shifter, IVA-310 Alpine touch screen stereo, 10" W7's 1500W HiFonics amp MB Quartz component speakers 600W HiFonics amp.

S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicstang
is buying the stick GT worth the hard shifing or should I just get an automatic? I learned how to drive in cars with sticks but my 01 stang is auto w/ overdrive. If I get another I don't wanna be stuck in a parkin lot learning. I'm looking for an 03-05 but if the shifting is as bad as you say maybe I should cop out? But will I miss much power in a GT w/ auto and overdrive?
It all boils down to, do you want to pick the shift points or let the computer pick the shift points.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Oh, definitely go with the manual shift. It's not like you'll have to re-learn how to shift or anything. In my opinion, the shifter is just sloppy, not impossible to use. Going from 2nd to 3rd was never the problem for me, I just don't like the spongy feeling and would like to firm it up. If I get a new shifter, I'll probably get one with a shorter throw, just because most come that way. I drove a truck with a stick for years. You practically had to get out of the seat to shift into 3rd. There's no difference in power, but as Dea R&E said, it's just a matter of who picks the shift points. It's still a lot of fun to drive.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
PONY Member
S197 Member

I had always driven a stick and was determined to get a stick GT.. well since I wanted a black one and the dealer I dealt with only had black in an auto..they were like.." just drive it and see.. you will be impressed" and honestly I was. Since it is a 5 speed auto it has that much more room to go. And it shifts really fast and smooth.
But I ended up sticking to the stick because I just couldnt see having a GT in an auto. But it depends on your personal preference. I was really impressed with the auto.
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
IMHO, when driving a stick, you are driving..whereas with an auto, the car is driving, you are just along for the ride. A stick makes me feel like it is a race car, I know it is not, but it feels like it. Plus I am not overly fond of Ford's automatic trannys. I have a Ford Fusion with a six speed auto, and it drives me crazy.
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to basicstang
Thanks everyone, I'll let you know which one I pick..after I test drive both. The salesman will probably be scared when I test the stick but who cares! LOL

basicstang
BOSS Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey
ha, ha, ha....okay, my typing skills need work...and apparently I am having as much of a problem spelling shifter or shifting as I did have installing the SHIFTER adapter.
Well it's ok...I know i get excited when i type shiffter..i mean shitfer...shfterr...nevermind.

SOLD -2005 Black GT Whipple HO| Oil Seperator | Steeda Tensioner | 93 dyno tune | Autometer Cobalt | GTAs | Eibach Pro-kit | Tokico D-Specs | CHE UCA | BMR PH | BMR LCA | BMR LCA Bracket | 18x9/10 Deep Dish Bullits

2013 Shelby GT500
S197 Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I'll let you know which one I pick..after I test drive both. The salesman will probably be scared when I test the stick but who cares! LOL
Before I bought my '07 GT, I drove both the auto and the stick (both cars were similarly equipped). I tried to give both an equal chance, but the auto just couldn't compare to the "snap" of the stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page